Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Winter traveling questions.

I'm planning a 10 day trip x-mas day to north AR. Coming from south Ga I have limited experience with cold weather traveling. I have a 2005 Coachmen Cross Country d-pusher and pulling a jeep wrangler. Do I have to worry about pipes freezing while the coach is driving/sitting/camping. I just put a new set of tires on last week. How will it handle if there is any snow. I will have it completely detailed when I get back to remove/clean any salt from the road. Any advice will be great.

Thanks Daniel
danielr4122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Leave your furnaces running, that will keep things from freezing.

Buy a couple of cheap remote thermometers, put 1 in the water compartment and 1 in the main basement. Then you'll know exactly what the temp is, no guessing. Information is the key.

New tires and snow will be no problem, or just sit it out. Nothing happens to fast with 30 feet of wheel base. Remember slower is always an option.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

I would say to evaluate the investment against the benefits of getting from point A to point B in the snow. If I had the option, I would not drive mine in the snow at all.

Dave
Old 12-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I would say to evaluate the investment against the benefits of getting from point A to point B in the snow. If I had the option, I would not drive mine in the snow at all.

Dave
X2 Dave
You NEVER get all of the salt out
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Give this link a look will give suggestions.
Welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1408599]Give [B][URL="http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/12/rv_winter_driving_tips.php
this link[/URL][/B] a look will give suggestions.
Welcome to irv2.
Dave maybe I can help you. It just so happens unless it does snow I will be camping in Northern Arkansas for a week the day after christmas. Where are you going. We are going to be staying in the State Park at Bull Shoals it is a beautiful spot. I live in Northern Arkansas. The temp is supposed to hit 16 degrees Wednesday night. and they are talking about light snow possibly tuesday and wednesday. Of course it was in the 60s today and with arkansas 16 degrees wed might lead to high 50 by friday. The people on here that have camped in the real north I am sure know a lot more about this subject than I do. I have one of the atomic clocks that read the outside temp (approximately 30 dollars at walmart) I put the sensor for it in the compartment where my water hook up is and my tanks. If it is that cold I will be using my propane heater and they vent to the water tank area.

Feel free to email me if you like or ask me on here I will be glad to let you know anything about the area I can. Arkansas has some very pretty parks.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #7

Several different times we have been caught on snow conditions and low temps while traveling through Canada. Depending on the tread design of your tires, you might mot have the best traction. Alot of the MH's in the 'lower 48' have great highway tread but poor for bad driving conditions. If that is the case and you HAVE to travel, take it slow and allow yourself plenty of room. Remember you have '4 wheel' drive. If you have a heater in your water bay, keep it on. We have camped in temps down to the low teens and have not had any problems with the water bay. Be sure to turn the heater in the water bay on BEFORE you need it.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
X2 Dave
You NEVER get all of the salt out
He picked a good christmas to vacation in Arkansas. Depending where he is going they are predicting 5 to 8 inches in arkansas. That is about the equivalent of 40 feet in a northern state. Arkansas closes down pretty much with 2 inches. The news said that North West Arkansas is going to melt the snow with Beet Juice. That will be interesting to see how it works but should be less corrosive than salt
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Remember you have '4 wheel' drive.
It is the stopping and steering that tends to be the exciting part.

Got chains,because they might be mandatory.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #10

I usually wait until the roads are fairly melted off...like 10AM...before I drive in snowy conditions. Then stop around 3pm. Short, slow day.

If you have the insulated doors and surrounds for your water compartment, not much really to worry about unless it's 20°F or below for days on end. The thermal inertia of the water tank keeps the water liquid. Even less worry when the days warm up to the 50's...and I park with the tank side of the rig towards the sun where possible. Then you should wrap your grey and black tank dump valves with heat tape. And plug them in when you stop at a park. Water hose is only connected to fill the water tank, then drained and put away immediately.

One of the earlier posters is correct about the furnace too. Most rigs are designed to force a little heated air into the wet bay...but when it's really cold for days on end, I put a trouble light in there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote