Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
When we see snow, we pack the skis and head into the mountains! I bought this coach to use and not sit still. How many over the road trucks sit out the snow and salt melt for days do you see? As far as washing the stuff off, I wait for a rain storm and then drive it around letting mother nature do her job.

So far after many years of skiing using the coach as our home, the battery hold down brackets are they only areas I see rust.
Bigd9
You have been lucky, (so far).
After 19 years and 140k+ miles of use, (with only a few drives on salted, slushy, sloppy roads during those years/miles), a hydraulic brake line on my coach rusted through and the rear brakes failed.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #16

In my opinion, some people take this stuff to the extreme, but I wholeheartedly endorse their right to their opinions even if different from mine. I once mentioned how beautiful this country was especially off the beaten tract and on gravel roads. Some voiced strong opinions I was causing irrevocable damage to my coach by the dust....and think of the toad!

So anyway, yes I am lucky. I have a great wife, great kids, great grand kids. As far as the RV, 40 years, 3 travel trailers, two coaches and never a rust problem I could directly attribute to salt. We enjoy the coach and will go anywhere any time.

So bring on the snow, and point us in the direction of the great snow skiing mountains!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skiing 066.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	112427  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
In my opinion, some people take this stuff to the extreme, but I wholeheartedly endorse their right to their opinions even if different from mine.
Bigd9
I didn't experience brake failure to prove a point or to fortify my opinion.
I simply used my brake failure experience as an example of what rust can do.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
FWIW, a marine environment can do it too. We bought our rig used out of Florida. It had been purchased new there, and I assume had been there since. Undercarriage and components had more corrosion than I'd like - rusty hardware, brake lines, etc., some rust on the basement compartment framing. Based on this evidence I'm guessing it was parked mostly near the ocean (though I suppose it could have made trips into snow/salt country, too...).

It's not the end of the world, but the next rig I buy I will pay a bit more attention to stuff like that.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
jsmmonaco
Never drive in snow/ice.
(One nice thing about an RV is that you can wait out bad weather in comfort).
Avoiding salt residue is more difficult , but it can be somewhat cleaned off by driving over a lawn sprinkler a number of times.

Mel
'96 Safari, (in Wisconsin)
Looks like a genius idea!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I'm not sure if Companies like Rust Check , Rust Proofing Products in the United States & Canada, are located in the northern states, but I have their product applied to my car and Jeep to save them from rusting from winter road salt and it works well. If fact the City of Winnipeg here in Manitoba applies it to the trucks that spread the salt on the roads to save them from rusting. If a vehicle already has some rust , it stops it from getting worse. We don't use our RV in the winter.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #21

I protected the whole underside of my MH this fall. I took rust off, painted the repaired area, then sprayed some antirust everywhere I could, hope it will protect the MH a little more. I plan on doing this every year and wash it everytime I can, and I really like the idea of the sprinkler!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #22

How do you mix Salt Away? Do you just use it with the pressure washer and inject it like soap? Or maybe with a soap dispenser on a water wand?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
...my rv guy, who I trust, tells me that one of the worst things for an rv is driving in salty, slushy, snow and ice.

...he recommends that if there is any salt on the road, the rv should remain parked.
So much for his knowledge.

Drive it!!!!!!!

When you get to where you're going... WASH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially the undercarriage.

Enough said.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #24

Salt Away has an adapter/dispenser that actually works very well. Hook it to a hose then to a good sprinkler that sweeps. Pull the hose the length of the underside with a rope attached, the pull it back. Continue until Salt Away is gone, plus another couple of passes. Frequency varies with your comfort level. Does it get every iota of salt, no, but sure helps. Used Salt Away for all the years (10) we lived full time on our boat in Florida and the Bahamas.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's what the kit looks like -
Salt-Away Concentrate Kit with Mixing Unit - 32 fl oz (946 mL)
We haven't used it on this coach yet but we will this winter. Our previous coach was five years old when we sold it. We drive south every winter and wash the undercarriage first thing using this kit. No stains on our pavers, no wrecking of foliage. Spend extra time drenching wheel wells and along the under edges of the bays prior to sprinkling underneath. We use two people to get it from one side to the next when doing the underneath by tying on a line that we can tug-a-war with to work the area.

After all of that, we wash the coach top to bottom and hope and pray that there is no winter weather when we head north.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:51 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
wash it

to those that have opined to just "drive it then wash it"........where do you wash your rv........campground, quarter car wash, a professional wash service?...........while washing seems like a simple solution, I cannot believe you will do much good my just spraying off the undercarriage, even if you can find a place to do it....................so to me, a proper "washing" would be fairly labor intensive.............

and just a side note to some, not all, "senior" members.......there is no reason to respond in a condescending manner......... us junior members ask questions because we want to learn things, we do not ask to hear you try to prove how much you know.................so thanks to those that have provided useful information.............
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:33 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am with the group that try not to drive it in the salt. Compared to my previous rv that had been in the salt a few times, this one still looks new underneath. I believe the fine mist and powder left by salt can get in spots that no amount of rinsing will get rid of. I'm also going to do a bit of maintanence every year as I have noticed a bit of paint bubbling on the storage bay frames. I think we could all agree that if we were able to avoid the salt we would. It's just a matter of what our tolerance level is to possible damage.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #28

The kit looks pretty good. I will get one and spray this undercarriage after going south.

Tags
rust, winter