Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winterized or Unwinterized? How Do You Roll?

We're roughly two weeks away from our planned departure date ... leaving the cold Michigan winter and heading south to Florida until the beginning of May.

Last year - we left in the middle of a cold snap during which temps here in Michigan were struggling to hit double digits. We let home with the coach fully winterized, drove a pretty aggressive schedule (400+ miles a day) to get to our destination in 3 days - making due with a few gallon jugs of fresh water for drinking and making coffee. While it didn't kill us - that first shower after we got the plumbing going upon arrival at our destination sure felt good!

I'm hoping that this year may be different. The extended forecast says that temps will be hovering right around the freezing mark the day we plan to leave. The extended forecast says overnight lows at our first overnight stop will be in the upper 20's. If the forecasts hold - we'll be experiencing temps that should make it possible to unwinterize at home and leave with a tankful of fresh water and usable plumbing - as long as I keep the Aquahot running, the wet bay heated and the coach interior up to temp.

How do others make the trip south? Do you unwinterize before leaving or wait till you're firmly into warmer weather?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #2

I never winterize. I keep the coach and wet bays heated all winter so we can use the motorhome anytime we want to. Im sure its not very cost effective, but its worth it to me to have the motorhome ready for anything.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #3

We head out to go snow skiing several times a winter, and I always un-winterize for the trip, then blow out the water lines when we return. With the coach you have, I wouldn't hesitate to un-winterize and use the propane furnaces to keep the interior and the wet bays warm. I also use a remote sending thermometer with the probe located in the wet bay. If the wet bay drops down to freezing, I turn on a 75 watt light bulb to boost the temperatures about 10 degrees.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

We have been using our coach's in Midwest winters for 20 years and have never traveled without full water and 100% use of RV.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Latest I have left MI "wet" was Thanksgiving (Actually the day before) Woke up on Black Friday in Vale TN, hit the nearby Wal*Mart for my black Friday purchase long about 7:30-8AM (more employees than customers at that hour) Got what I wanted, Gassed up and got to my target parking spot by 2:30 PM (Seneca SC) 800 miles in 48 horus.. Fastest I've ever made the trip.

Once I left thanksgiving Tuesday headed west.. Froze on that trip, had to replace the Ice Maker solenoid (I would winterize that, how follows) and a short line on the city inlet (cracked fitting replaced the whole line it was easier)

And once on Jan 2 (Left dry, filled the tanks when I was far enough south to not freeze).

For 2 weeks, I'd say heat it save for winterizing the Ice maker

here is how

Turn off water pump, Open low point drain (cold side is good enough) Force cycle the ice maker twice,

Close water valve leading to the ice maker,, Close low point drain, and turn the pump back on to re-pressurize the system and fill the water heater.. Keep water heater ON, cause hot water does NOT freeze.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
We're roughly two weeks away from our planned departure date ... leaving the cold Michigan winter and heading south to Florida until the beginning of May.

Last year - we left in the middle of a cold snap during which temps here in Michigan were struggling to hit double digits. We let home with the coach fully winterized, drove a pretty aggressive schedule (400+ miles a day) to get to our destination in 3 days - making due with a few gallon jugs of fresh water for drinking and making coffee. While it didn't kill us - that first shower after we got the plumbing going upon arrival at our destination sure felt good!

I'm hoping that this year may be different. The extended forecast says that temps will be hovering right around the freezing mark the day we plan to leave. The extended forecast says overnight lows at our first overnight stop will be in the upper 20's. If the forecasts hold - we'll be experiencing temps that should make it possible to unwinterize at home and leave with a tankful of fresh water and usable plumbing - as long as I keep the Aquahot running, the wet bay heated and the coach interior up to temp.

How do others make the trip south? Do you unwinterize before leaving or wait till you're firmly into warmer weather?
Thanks to advice on this forum, I bought two 1000w porcelain heaters and two (thermo-receps) and we have had single digit temps in southern IN week ago and all worked well...leaving in 3 weeks to TX so am not going to winterize...have less than 45.00 in the setup. One on wet bay compartment and other in comp with fresh water above it.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #7

Just be very careful about getting too much heat too near anything plastic. I saw a picture once of someones water tank that had melted in an area about the size of a softball.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post

For 13 years we've winterized our coach in late Oct., (before traveling south from Minnesota in Nov. or Dec).... and again in late March or early April... (while returning).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #9

Norman,

Every coach I have worked on that has heat also has the plumbing in the heated spaces. so, if you are comfortable in the coach, there is no worry about the potable freezing. This does not mean all, but it is pretty close. If the coach has black and gray tank heaters, then it is a four seasons coach. Take advantage of it.

I use the Cayo all winter but I have a mixed waste tank. Matt doesn't use his beautiful GMC only because he won't drive it over the salt (fender solvent) that the state heaps on Michigan roads.

Oh, if you are FMCA, the free camp ground in Cinci has 50amp all winter and water most of the time. We use it whenever we go south. One night almost covers the membership.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

We leave Channahon Ill (50 miles south of Chicago) and drive to Paducah Ky About 340 miles the first day and almost always drain the RV antifreeze and change to water -it may get a little cold over night but never enough to freeze anything, although the furnace does run and probably some heat goes to bays, if your furnace is running the bays are getting some heat so GO & ENJOY-Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
While heading south, we spent one night in Iowa. Outside air temperature, -17 with wind blowing at 40 mph.

I left everything winterized, My gray and black are outside (not heated), my fresh is inside, but we still left it winterized.. While traveling, we use the toilet for #1 only and flush with -20 windshield washer fluid. I was a little concerned about the black freezing, but when we got to Phoenix and I did a dump, it was ok.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #12

If it seems safe before I leave I flush in the fresh water and go with a full tank of water...all set. If nature give me reason to put antifreeze back in I use a built in 10 gallon antifreeze tank to refill the system in a few minutes. (just bypass hot water, use heater quick drain, flip diverter valve and all set...takes 15 minutes. If any "emergency" I just use toilet running off antifreeze tank. One time I needed this as forecast called for low 20's on trip (no problem) but then changed and quickly headed for below zero.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #13

Another option is to partly de winterize at home then finish on the road. Blow out the antifreeze if you have a compressor, plug the water heater and set the bypass for normal. You can do that anytime between now and when you leave without compromising the system.

Pack along a half dozen jugs of water and maybe a ballon or two of windshield washer fluid. That lets you eat and flush as you head toward warmer places. If you decide to motel a night nothing is likely to freeze. When you get to the first place you want to start guaranteeing warm inside then partly fill the fresh tank with bleach and water at the sanitizing concentration. Run that through the system except for the outside shower. Give it a few hours then top off the fresh and flush out the high concentration bleach and water with the lower concentration and you are good for cleaning and flushing. You might want to use or dump that tank before you start drinking from the tank. All you have to do on the road is add water.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter