Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2018, 06:24 AM   #15

I appreciate your answer however I’m not sure that you understood what happened. Both my grey and black tanks were emptied prior to starting the winterizing. The previous owner never used an air compressor to blow out the lines prio to using antifreeze. Since the opinions vary I decided to continue how he did it. The step I forgot was emptying the water heater. I do not have a bipass valve. I continued to put antifreeze in until the water was fully pink. The amount I used was excessive because, as I found out afterwards it had to run any water that had been in the water heater out and through the lines. This ended up working however it filled my gray tank with antifreeze causing it to overflow a couple of inches in my tub, where based in the info from others on this thread; will not harm things and in the spring I can dump it all out. Thank you for your reply, however, I am happy that their are so many of you who are willing to share your knowledge to a novice rv’er without judgment.
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If Dav L is going to use antifreeze he wouldn't have to blow out the P traps. He made reference to antifreeze in his post but didn't detail it any further. I just wanted to be sure he attended to the P traps.
I blow mine out after I run antifreeze through the lines to be sure no water is remaining in the traps. Then I add pure antifreeze which will not evaporate as fast as water or antifreeze mixture.
Blowing the P traps out is simple. You can pull the air line into the RV or do as I do and use a portable air tank. In the kitchen sink I screw the drain basket into the drain above the trap, wrap a rag around the blow gun on the air hose and slowly blow air into the open drain. When the drain stops gurgling I stop. Then I move to the bathroom drain and blow it out then do the same with the shower drain.
Once the traps are blown out I add the clear antifreeze.
My RV will sit in storage from the second week of October until mid May. I have been accused of going overboard with my winterizing methods but I continue to be as through as I can doing the winterizing.
I bought a TT back in the 80's which hadn't been winterized. I knew this when I bought it and the price I paid for it reflected it. It was a real job redoing all the plumbing etc. I'm not anxious to do it again.
Lynn
Love your reply! Thank you.
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If Dav L is going to use antifreeze he wouldn't have to blow out the P traps. He made reference to antifreeze in his post but didn't detail it any further. I just wanted to be sure he attended to the P traps.
I blow mine out after I run antifreeze through the lines to be sure no water is remaining in the traps. Then I add pure antifreeze which will not evaporate as fast as water or antifreeze mixture.
Blowing the P traps out is simple. You can pull the air line into the RV or do as I do and use a portable air tank. In the kitchen sink I screw the drain basket into the drain above the trap, wrap a rag around the blow gun on the air hose and slowly blow air into the open drain. When the drain stops gurgling I stop. Then I move to the bathroom drain and blow it out then do the same with the shower drain.
Once the traps are blown out I add the clear antifreeze.
My RV will sit in storage from the second week of October until mid May. I have been accused of going overboard with my winterizing methods but I continue to be as through as I can doing the winterizing.
I bought a TT back in the 80's which hadn't been winterized. I knew this when I bought it and the price I paid for it reflected it. It was a real job redoing all the plumbing etc. I'm not anxious to do it again.
Lynn
Hey Lynn,
Yeah, I use first air and then antifreeze. I just stopped typing because this has been documented so many times on this forum it's silly. Including by myself several times.

I let the antifreeze run out of each spigot and that fills the P-traps.

Terre - the grey / black tank were empty and then post winterizing the grey is now full? That's a TON of unneeded antifreeze used (25 gallons?) You should need six at the most. If you filled the hot water tank (not recommended) that would never see the grey tank anyway unless you applied air and pushed it out to the drains. So where did the 25 gallons come from (or whatever your grey tank capacity is)?

The hot water tank is drained at the tank - usually by removing the electric aux heat element or other drain plug at the bottom of the tank. So this water / antifreeze just goes to the ground.

Tags
winter