Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #1

Winterizing New Motor Home With Aqua Hot.

I purchased a new Tiffin Allegro Red, Model 37BA, with Aqua Hot and I pick it up next week. Since I will be driving it from a warm climate to a cold climate the dealer wants to know if I want it winterized. I have winterized motorhomes in the past but they did not have Aqua Hot. My question is what is involved with winterizing the Aqua Hot for the hot water side, not the boiler anti-freeze side, if I decide to do this myself. Also, how long does it take to do this?
skitcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

Drain water tank and low point drains you hopefully have a winterize 3 way valve before your fresh water pump.The boiler side should be filled with one of two recommended glycol based boiler fluids at -50 f.your not supposed to mix them. Not a bad idea to test it with a hydrometer .You just don't do any bypass , you can not do blow out only with AH water coil. Pump RV pink to hot it hits AH coil first run all hot faucets, that's it .You will need and extra 1.5 gallons than non AH models. Congratulations on your new rig.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winterizing New Motor Home With Aqua Hot.

Don’t know what you had before, but I had a 5er. Have always done the winterizing myself. Here are the big differences I’ve noticed.

Use to take 2 gals of RV pink, now it takes 6-7 gal. Reasons are I now have more “stuff” inside the MH.

First I drain the water using the valves on the red and blue lines in the wet bay. Then I use a nipple and my air compressor to blow the water out of the black rinse, and the city water/tank fill lines. Use low pressure. Remove and plug refrigerator filter. Remove house water filter and stick an empty gator aid bottle in there to take up space.

I have a long winterizing hose. Connect the hose to the input of the pump, where the fresh water tank connects. I use a 5 gal bucket to pour the RV pink into.

Turn on the pump and start turning winterizing. Faucets, toilets, washer, dishwasher, fridge, fridge ice maker, wet bay shower head. I think that’s it. [emoji848]

It’s always plugged in so I top off the batteries.

I don’t do anything with the AquaHot. Hopefully I’m not suppose to because I’ve already put it up.

Anyway, takes me a couple hours then I’m done.

Congrats on your new rig. LOTS to learn if you’ve never had one before, but it’s fun stuff if you’re a DIY person.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #4

Good comments already, be sure to open the low water drain valves at the AquaHot and at the wet bay, leave the outside shower valves open after including them in you faucet test for pink
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are two "water" parts to an Aquahot - its internal boiler and the external (potable) water heating system that heats water for human use. The Aquahot boiler should have antifreeze year-around, just like a car radiator. It's a rust inhibitor and heat transfer assist as well as antifreeze. Ask the dealer to make sure the Aquahot boiler has the proper coolant mix, which should include antifreeze properties.

The external water passes thru separate tubing to get heated for sinks and showers and that is supposed to get "winterized" when the house system is done, either blown dry or filled with RV antifreeze. If the dealer winterized the rest of the "house" water system, it should be ok.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest telling the dealer that you would lik it winterized but would like it done with you present so you can clearly understand the details since it will vary some based on equipment such as dishwasher, clothes washer, ice maker/water dispenser in fridge to name a few
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I would suggest telling the dealer that you would lik it winterized but would like it done with you present so you can clearly understand the details since it will vary some based on equipment such as dishwasher, clothes washer, ice maker/water dispenser in fridge to name a few
AA4TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You pull the pink AF through both the hot & cold lines, just like any other winterizing procedure. Below are the instructions right from the Aquahot manual.

To not dilute the AF too much, we blow out with compressed air first, then draw though the AF with the pump. As with any project, the prep takes the most time (draining, blowing out...etc). For us, start to finish, took us about an hour to do our Phaeton. Our Bounder used to take about half that. But, this was the 1st year doing a diesel with more appliances, so it took longer so we were sure we didn't miss anything. As we get more comfortable with the process on this coach, the time spent will reduce.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AHWinterizing.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	268189  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:08 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post

This is exactly what I did when we purchased ours, from the dealer, in NOVEMBER. They were more than glad to let me should surf and ask questions. The drawback...purchased it, drove it from Eureka, MO to central Illinois, and put it away for a few months. I always felt like I should’ve been banging the asphalt with it, working out the bugs, since it was new then. That’s history. Luckily, haven’t had much trouble with it since the purchase. Knocking on wood!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
Good comments already, be sure to open the low water drain valves at the AquaHot and at the wet bay, leave the outside shower valves open after including them in you faucet test for pink
You have 'low water drain valves' at your AH?
Old 11-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
You have 'low water drain valves' at your AH?
Hot and cold , just to the left of the cabinet

That is the most important thing to have flushed with antifreeze and I like to leave both valves open
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua hot, winter