Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Winterizing Preparations

I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor (Cummins ISC) which I am preparing to put into covered storage for the winter. Unfortunately, my choice method of winterizing - i.e October to April in Arizona - is not an option due to DW's health condition. So the option is to hibernate through the next few months where temperatures get as low as -40 'C. I live in Northern B.C. Canada.

I have had the MH winterized at my local RV dealer - water lines; washer; etc. I am testing the engine coolant today to identify its status. I have filled both the diesel fuel tank and the propane tank.

As I park it in the covered storage - an unused horse riding arena - what other steps should I take? I am particularly concerned with any electrical issues.

Any thoughts you can provide will be greatly appreciated - especially from those who deal with similar climate issues.

I have only been a member of this forum since June 2012 but am thankful for the wealth of knowledge as well as the many humorous contributions made by those who are more experienced in the world of RV'ing.

Thanks - Will
WindsorPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #2

As long as engine antifreeze is good, shut down, switch off your main electrical switches at the battery, and don't worry. It was down to minus 37 when we left for Texas from Alberta last year. Took until Montana to warm up the coach with furnace and dash heat. Take care and relax. Diesel engine just sit for months, no sweat.
Jdsengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks like you should be good for the winter. I might suggest that you check your batteries about once a month. I usually put my charger on them about once a month at the 2 amp rate just to make sure they are fully charged. My charger "tells me" when they are fully charged. They will not freeze if charged properly.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

The last time we stored our motorhome in a barn mice got in and ate through everything. They left piles everywhere, dirt and chewed through the cushions and peed everywhere. We had years of awful smells and couldn't mask any how we did it...not good. Good luck....prepare for critters
FaZzeledSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaZzeledSue
The last time we stored our motorhome in a barn mice got in and ate through everything. They left piles everywhere, dirt and chewed through the cushions and peed everywhere. We had years of awful smells and couldn't mask any how we did it...not good. Good luck....prepare for critters
Get some moth balls and place them around your tires and jack stands. No mouse will go anywhere near your unit all winter.
Inside use cedar blocks to detract rodents. Mice hate the smell of cedar.
Jdsengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #6

Was told by an exterminator to remove ALL food and even vacuum crumbs in the cupboards.

Mice will gain access in the tiniest of openings. Close any vents or hatches securely. Any gaps should be stuffed with steel wool - apparently they hate the feel of it on their teeth and will not chew through.

Remember to close the fresh air vents with the heater controls too.

You might consider a couple of good old fashioned baited spring traps along the inside perimeter should any of your "visitors" defeat the first line of defence.

Hate them meeses to pieces.
ISM500 is offline   Reply With Quote