RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I also blow out the lines then follow with pink stuff. Those of us with Aqua Hot units have no choice but to use the RV antifreeze.
Good point!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #16
epj

Glad I saw this thread. I hadnít even thought about winterizing the washer/dryer. Wonder about the dishwasher now. Same sort of situation I suppose.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only problem I see with dumping the antifreeze in the drum and running it is that you still need to somehow drain the water hoses. It's a real pain to remove them and drain - not so much from the supply valves but unhooking and reinstalling to the back of the machine. Is there any way to blow out the lines without unhooking? Maybe hook up air pressure and then run the machine? Then follow up by dumping antifreeze in the drum and running again.
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
The only problem I see with dumping the antifreeze in the drum and running it is that you still need to somehow drain the water hoses. It's a real pain to remove them and drain - not so much from the supply valves but unhooking and reinstalling to the back of the machine. Is there any way to blow out the lines without unhooking? Maybe hook up air pressure and then run the machine? Then follow up by dumping antifreeze in the drum and running again.
Yes that is the way it done. Use air to blow out the lines to the washer; by selecting the hot and cold features as it is on the fill cycle. Repeat the same process using the antifreeze in the water system. Follow up with the antifreeze in the drum and run the spin cycle. Don't be shy in dumping in the antifreeze, but wait until some of the water has been pumped out first.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #19

I have a checklist I made up and has specific procedures for water pump, water filter, water heater, ice maker, washer, dishwasher & rear stool. Helps make sure I donít forget anything. Other than above, air pressure does the water lines.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #20

The only thing I will add, is that if you use RV Antifreeze in the drum, come Spring, you might want to throw a couple of old towels in the machine and run a wash load just like you would normally run it (with detergent, softener, etc) before putting good clothes in it. If you don't, the clothes may have a slight "sticky" feeling to them after the first load. Just my take!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Yes, I drain the water heater and pressurize the system with 50 psi compressed air, and set the Splendide washer to cold fill. Then after only air is heard blowing out, I stop the machine, reset it and set the temperature for hot. Blow out till only air comes out. Then run the machine to discharge the drum water, and add RV antifreeze and discharge again.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
As I think someone above mentioned, also don't forget your dish washer if you have it, and the refrigerator if it has an ice maker or cold water outlet. Last year was our first year with a clothes washer on board and I nearly forgot about it, but thank goodness went to the manual and caught it. With so many folks getting their first or new-to-them rv now days I've run into more than one would think who don't even know to winterize, much less the fine points so I'm glad to see the subject covered quite a bit and hopefully save someone some real headache. Whichever method(s) a person uses, the point is to do it and think thru all of the places that could cause issues.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #23
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Yes, I drain the water heater and pressurize the system with 50 psi compressed air, and set the Splendide washer to cold fill. Then after only air is heard blowing out, I stop the machine, reset it and set the temperature for hot. Blow out till only air comes out. Then run the machine to discharge the drum water, and add RV antifreeze and discharge again.
Thanks. I have been looking for something like this using the air method. Been thinking about using your method but adding a splash of pink to the drum to protect the pump.

I'm in Western Oregon and really don't need to be concerned about long term low temps. Usually watch the weather and when it calls for temps 25 and lower, for any length of time blow things out.

We go out at least 1-2 month and I don't want to have to mess with the pink stuff in all the lines.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
Glad I saw this thread. I hadnít even thought about winterizing the washer/dryer. Wonder about the dishwasher now. Same sort of situation I suppose.
Yes it is. There are water lines to/from & a pump. It needs winterized too.

Quote:
... Is there any way to blow out the lines without unhooking? Maybe hook up air pressure and then run the machine? Then follow up by dumping antifreeze in the drum and running again.
Yes, blow out with air, turning the washer on & cycling through Hot then Cold wash settings. I slightly pull out the detergent drawer so I can see exactly when the water flow stops & it's just air spurting. Then I set the washer to Spin to get that water out. I don't dump antifreeze in the drum. We pump antifreeze through both lines (again turning on washer/selecting Hot & Cold wash) until both lines pooled pink in the bottom of the drum, then set the washer to Spin to take the antifreeze through the washer pump & out to the grey tank.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I don't understand the logic behind the idea of blowing out the lines and then putting antifreeze in the lines. What is gained by blowing out the lines?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #26

I think the idea is to evacuate the lines of water so the antifreeze wonít get diluted with water as they mix. I donít think itís necessary but wonít hurt.

My previous coach had an outside access door behind the frig.. I used it to put 120V on the water valve to blow out the ice maker line. I looked my current unit over and am going to pull frig out to put on wires that come out the front of the frig on the floor, to do the same thing. A little extra work one time but will pay off for future winterizations.

Tags
winter