Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Winterizing Washing machine and Ice maker

I is that time when we all are thinking about winterizing our rigs, unless you are the lucky ones who are heading south. I have had many rigs over the years and have did both blow out lines and pumped pink antifreeze in the lines. Now I have a new Class A with a washing machine and ice maker in the rig. I don't want to flush pink antifreeze in either one. So how do you all winterize these appliances. Thank you for any help.
rogtill61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #2

rogtill61-

I've no experience with an icemaker, but using antifreeze in the W/D (washer/dryer) works well for me. I think it would be the only way of making sure something expensive did not break on the water side of the W/D.

On another note: Some Winters I have to re-winterize in the early Spring, after a trip to warmer climes. Ordinarily, I just use antifreeze. This is unpleasant in near-freezing conditions. This past Winter was the first time I winterized with air (in lieu of antifreeze, when I could leave some heat on in the coach until the freeze danger went away). I did not use the coach at all this Summer. I noticed when I winterized with antifreeze this Fall I used less, the process took less time, and I had less leftover mixed antifreeze-and-water. I didn't have to wait as long for any water to come out of the faucets, etc. I think I'll try air-then-antifreeze again next year.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I put two 60 watt old style bulbs (they get hot), in drop lights, next to each item you mentioned.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #4

It pretty easy.
My wash machine has the instructions in the manual.
Ice makers are easy too, just run your water pump,with the pink stuff, run the ice maker to fill it then stop it.
If you have a Aqua hot system you can NOT a blow out the lines, you need to run pink stuff all the way thru. Blowing out a Aqua hot will ruin it.
I take 15 gallons for my RV with a bath and a half, wash machine, ice maker and dishwasher.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just use the pink stuff but we do blow out the lines prior to use the anti-freeze.

We run anti-freeze into our Ice maker but when we run though the fridge water filter it takes the pink color out of the anti-freeze. The first time I winterized my ice maker I ran nearly a gallon of anti-freeze before I realized it was anti-freeze and not water come out. I save the fridge filter so in the spring I de-winterize the ice maker with an old filter be fore I replace it.

The washer you going to have to get the water out of the drain lines and the only way I know how to do that is dump anti-freeze into the washer and run spin cycle to get in the drain lines.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Never done my washing machine but in my previous coach with the ice maker I would disconnect the line at the solenoid on the back of the fridge with the shutoff valve off. The water will drain out of the line going up to the ice maker and then turn the shutoff valve on until I got pink out of the feeder line.

The first time I tried winterizing withe ice maker hooked up it took half the summer before I go ice you could use.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #7

I do washer as follows...
Blow out w compressed air... last after all other faucets.
Open & drain sump/filter housing at bottom right using a wet dry vac to catch water vs trying to soak it up from tray w towels or sponge. Reclose.
Pressurize w pink and run other faucets to be sure im getting pink then run a short cycle / fill with warm setting to get both H & C. Only run for a minute to ensure I get pink to the drum.
In spring just run a cleaning cycle
The first year I had a washer I used the usual cheap pink w alcohol. Next spring had failure of both washer H & C inlet valves. I have switched to the propylene glycol pink for last 4-5 yrs w/o any issues. To me its worth using the slightly higher price stuff as alcohol does affect some rubber seals, orings, etc

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #8

As far as i am concerned, ice makers are a REAL problem . They run on their own timeframe (you can not "just make them run".... and most often tnere is no way to activate the solenoid independently. many stories out there about needing ti keep the system under pressure with antifreeze for 24 hours to get pink stuff through the ice maker...
Old 10-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #9

I just did mine and haven't had an icemaker or washer and dryer before. I blew everything out with air first. Then I put the hose for my water pump into a jug of antifreeze and ran all the facets including toilet starting with the outside one first until antifreeze came out. While doing that I ran my fridge so the icemaker would run and started the washer/dryer. When I saw antifreeze come out then put it on the spin cycle with a little extra antifreeze in the tub. Put the rest of the antifreeze in the p traps and black tank. The last thing I did was disconnect the hose from the solenoid for the icemaker and the back of the fridge and let it drain the antifreeze out. I could probably wait until spring to drain the line for the icemaker but didn't want to forget about it.
I always like to go for one last drive with the drains open just to get any water left in the lines out. Guess I will see in the spring if I did the icemaker and washer right.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #10

To do the Washer/dryer I'd put a wet/dry vac on the washer discharge hose and suck it dry.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
As far as i am concerned, ice makers are a REAL problem . They run on their own timeframe (you can not "just make them run".... and most often tnere is no way to activate the solenoid independently. many stories out there about needing ti keep the system under pressure with antifreeze for 24 hours to get pink stuff through the ice maker...
Since an ice maker is designed to freeze water, why would anyone want to put RV antifreeze into the unit? And yes an ice maker can be made to cycle on demand with a simple jumper wire.

The only thing that is required is to shut off water supply, remove the line from water solenoid that goes to ice maker and allow to drain. Remove supply line from water solenoid so it can also drain. This 1/8" polyproplene supply line is too small to freeze and be damaged. I have been using this method since 1997 without any freeze damage.
reference: https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf

As to a Splendide washing machine, pg 15 of http://splendide.com/downloads/WDV2200XCD_IOM.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #12

Just wanted to say Thank You all for the different advice. Now I have more of an idea how to winterize my coach.
rogtill61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Since an ice maker is designed to freeze water, why would anyone want to put RV antifreeze into the unit? And yes an ice maker can be made to cycle on demand with a simple jumper wire.

The only thing that is required is to shut off water supply, remove the line from water solenoid that goes to ice maker and allow to drain. Remove supply line from water solenoid so it can also drain. This 1/8" polyproplene supply line is too small to freeze and be damaged. I have been using this method since 1997 without any freeze damage.
reference: https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf

As to a Splendide washing machine, pg 15 of http://splendide.com/downloads/WDV2200XCD_IOM.pdf

If afraid that is i technically true statement, but in practicality is really misleading. With a large residential fridge, unmounting the fridge to get to the solenoid at the back is highly impractical. Also, with a bottom freezer compartment (such ad mine) getting to the ice maker at the top back of the lower compartment (to jump the contacts) while dealing with the fact that there is a moving open door in the way would take a contortionist. Ive tried.... doesnt work.

Its is true the ice maker itself is made to operate in freezing conditions ... but the issue is with the supply lines and valves (if present) at the back of the fridge outside of the freezer compartment.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
For the washing machine, follow the directions on your unit to winterize with pink stuff. Easy to do, doesn’t take much, and it clears out in the spring with a single (empty) cycle. The ice maker is a pain because you have to jump the solenoid to drive it. Turns out ours has different electrical connections than the ones in the manual for the model, so it took an hour or so for DH to get it right the first time we tried this. It is now a 5 minute activity. In the spring we run a full container of ice, dump that one, and use the next container. We haven’t had any off taste or color.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter