Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

Wiper blades large j hooks

Have found few places carry these and no one including my mh manufacture carry that plastic insert required to put them on the arms.Brand new set, old plastics broken, one new one brakes and no one had anything like it.Could order another 45 dollar blade to get that plastic part but on line only from my area.Had nice scary ride to gulf and back with one wiper and the other arm STICKING out to protect WINDSHIELD all because cheap plastic insert not at auto stores and only blade complete at rv stores or on line.Agian none in my area had stock.The large 12mm j hook ment only one of the 32 inch would fit,most carry 28 inch as largest.2008 tiffin open road large windshield not two section.Seems a small thing until you don't have wipers and find even with brand new ones the plastic cheap piece stops you.If anyone else has had this or is looking at wiper change KEEP THOSE INSERTS be careful pulling them off,even getting new ones with the arms one little slip or wrong move and you will have no wiper attached.
keepsgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #2

You need to look at WalMart. Their automotive section is where I get my 28" blades to use. RainX brand has the large J-hook adapter and you won't notice the difference between the 28" and the OEM 32" blades. Oh, the RainX blades are 1/3 the price of the OEM replacement blades.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
You need to look at WalMart. Their automotive section is where I get my 28" blades to use. RainX brand has the large J-hook adapter and you won't notice the difference between the 28" and the OEM 32" blades. Oh, the RainX blades are 1/3 the price of the OEM replacement blades.
What Rob said. The 28" Walmart blades are good and cheap (Costco has them too) and they wipe plenty of glass. The longer blades are not needed. At $8 per blade, I change them annually and always have new rubber on the wipers.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Costco sells the GoodYear wiper blades up to 28". The package come with every type of connector. They're about $8.00 each.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #5

Thanks I will look further but the 28 inch I looked at had the narrow hook and no adapters make wider,I did see a metal adapter on line that may change that on tha arm .I would be happy with 28 just wondered if anyone else has had this.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #6

A lot of people, including me, have switched over to the 28” blades (Rain-X) from Wal-Mart. One, they are a lot cheaper and two, thee shorter arm seems to out less stress on the wiper motor.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm maybe in the minority but I didn't like the 28" blades. I had to slightly crouch to see through the wiped section. Wiper Technologies makes an OEM 32" blade for the large J-hook that doesn't require a hokey plastic adapter for mounting. They are lighter and more aerodynamic than the large, heavy 32" Tricos from CW. I had fluttering issues with the Tricos.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/tru-v...-p/23-6339.htm
Old 07-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #8

I found that Bosch Excell+ wiper blades had the right adapter for the large hook wiper arms on our Windsport. The shorter blades have worked out well for our application. Safe travels.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #9

OK folks, what am I doing wrong? I bought 28" Rainx wipers at Walmart and they don't fit. Everybody says they fit "large" J hooks.

They have adapters for 4mm J hooks and for 9mm J hooks but my Newmar has 12mm J hooks. Am I missing something here?
Old 07-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
A lot of people, including me, have switched over to the 28” blades (Rain-X) from Wal-Mart. One, they are a lot cheaper and two, thee shorter arm seems to out less stress on the wiper motor.

Can you please provide a link? The ones I’ve found don’t seem to fit the arm. Thank you.
gberges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #11

I don't know of a specific link to show these on a MH, but here is a video showing installation on a large J hook arm. On the Tiffin forum, there are many users who state using the Rain X H28 as being a direct replacement, easily fitting the large J Hook.
https://www.rainx.com/instructions/e...hybrid-blades/
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
OK folks, what am I doing wrong? I bought 28" Rainx wipers at Walmart and they don't fit. Everybody says they fit "large" J hooks.

They have adapters for 4mm J hooks and for 9mm J hooks but my Newmar has 12mm J hooks. Am I missing something here?
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I agree. They don't fit mine either.

Just the other day I went to replace my blades on our coach and had just read this thread. So I went to Walmart and bought there RaineX 2X 28" blades. It's the only 28" blades they carry. They also carry RaineX Latitudes but they don't work either. Got back to the coach and they don't fit. The opening in the mount is to small for my large "J" hooks. Large meaning WIDE.

So I went to NAPA and showed them my problem. The lady was so nice and patient. She took about 45 minutes pulling out all sorts of different blades, adapters and the like. I finally ended up buying their blades. I could see with just a little tweaking these would work. They were NAPA Wiper Blades = 28”, Part#: 35-280 which are the Trico ICE Extreme Winter Weather Blade $19.99ea. and they have a universal mount. BUT....to make these work I had to slightly modify the universal mount by clipping off a little material on the front plastic ears and use my dremel tool on the other side to shave off a little plastic so the "J" part would slide in. Then I had to file off a little metal off my metal "J" part so they wouldn't be quite as wide and would fit. Once I did that they work fine now.

I too have battled for a long time getting new blades that would work. It's always been such a hassle. I've come up with other fixes in the past but got tired of that. So now with me slightly filing the "J" part on the metal part—making it not so wide— and slightly modifying the universal mount, from now on I'll just be able to buy these and I'm set. If that plastic universal part every breaks or gets old and brittle, I'll just modify that part again and install it with the new blades. These little modifications are really not a big deal.

BTW...after I filed off the "J"part that left the metal bare so I just taped everything off and repainted both mechanisms in place. But boy they look good and I have NEW WIPERS. YEAH !!!

I'm glad I have finally settled this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NAPA wipers that woork-1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	336844   Click image for larger version

Name:	NAPA wipers that woork-2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	336845  

mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post

You are correct they are made for the smaller J HOOKS.
Everyone that chimes in and tells you they will fit,
do not have the larger / WIDER ....J HOOKS
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:58 AM   #14

Didn't think so many had had this issue,It really bothered me that ordered from Tiffin by p/n and exact model the units had the cheap plastic insert that broke and I was lost,NO ONE HAD THE 12MM BLADES,they had all kinds of close but to narrow.This isn't about length it was fit on arm,and that I had a brand new blade but could get the insert to use it.This kind of lost ability to meet the needs of rv ers that is clearly seen in this.And this is a nessasary part to drive safely.To fond 28 or 32 or any length is not the point,why is it not possible to fit the arms or get rams that fit the narrow blades.Who did this?I ordered mine from manufacturer of my rv,and the plastic piece they don't carry,so 35 dollar blade no good unless I order another complete blade.WHY.