Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #43

If it's outside in the weather Heat shrink solder connectors. Inside regular crimp connectors with a good crimping tool. I got one from Granger's made in USA years ago. You might try the hydraulic crimping tool, but limited in tight spots. If at the least use heat shrink over the connectors outside, good selection at Harbor freight and works excellent.
wimpydjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 03:23 PM   #44

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use this - Thomas & Betts WT111M wire cutter and terminal crimpers. Pricey, $42, but really do the job. Easy to use even with old hands, not a rachet type, but the handles are long enough to provide very good leverage. Sold thru many electrical supply stores and the mega.com internet place.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:27 PM   #45

So I'm the only one who beats those stupid things flat with a hammer?

J/K
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:29 PM   #46

I just use regular crimpers. But I’ve been using these connectors and I love them! I recently did some wiring at my daughters house, very old Cotten jacketed wire, you know the type that falls apart in your hands when you start working with it! I wound up cutting it back to get a clean splice, instead of using wire nuts I use these. They are my new go to connectors!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60x-Termina...-/143795245592
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:39 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An ounce of prevention

No matter what you use you will keep having connector problems if they are not sealed against the elements. I like to use liquid electrical tape on them after they have been cleaned with electric parts cleaner.
phil8656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:29 PM   #48

Been using those damned 'ol cheap hand crimps that guarantees at lease a 90 percent failure rate! I just ordered a pair of these new fangled things and look forward to trying them!
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:54 PM   #49

Coming from a background of Jeeps, StreetRods, HighEnd car audio these are my go to. I use adhesive lined shrink connectors and and the double crimp is the way to go. The rchet cuts down on not crimping enough.
https://www.solidsignal.com/ancor-do...yABEgJP6_D_BwE
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #50

One other thing that relates to the subject being discussed is dissimilar metals. I’ve always taken the precaution to use “detox”a paste on every crimping job just to be sure of preventing any corrosion. I may have misspelled the paste name as I don’t have access to it right now.
56corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That crimper looks fine. I do a lot of electrical on marine applications yachts and commercial vessels. I use this one for the small stuff up to #10.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...6?recordNum=17

For larger crimps I have a swedging tool with dies up to 4/0 cable.

I prefer uninsulated crimps and cover them with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. This makes a nice water tight seal.
Hope this helps you .
Old 02-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No 90 degree crimps?

I think someone here stated not to do this. I interpret it to mean using the crimp tool at 90 degrees to the wire/connector...is that right? I have a a crimper/cutter/stripper and I don't see any other way to do it. Can someone explain? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Vise grips work great, adjustable for different size connectors. 1 less tool to carry. Crimped correctly, never have to fix later. Do this by crimping twice, 2nd time 90 degrees to first.
Wow! This is why so many things burn to the ground.
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
Wow! This is why so many things burn to the ground.

-

Might be why so many lights don't work.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #55
US1

That’s what your levelers are for. Place the terminal under the jack foot, lower jack until RV wheels come off ground. Gotcha a nice 10k lb. stake. No extra tools needed to carry. Save them vice grips for driving in nails
Old 02-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I think someone here stated not to do this. I interpret it to mean using the crimp tool at 90 degrees to the wire/connector...is that right? I have a a crimper/cutter/stripper and I don't see any other way to do it. Can someone explain? Thanks.
Obviously, most crimping tools I've seen, need to be at a right angle, perpendicular, or 90° from the wire/connector being crimped..

I believe they are talking about double crimping, with 2nd crimp rotated 90° from the first one...

That may (will) weaken the crimp....

I have seen double crimp connectors that put two crimps, in the same orientation, but slightly apart... I have done this manually when all I had was a cheap, thin crimping tool...

But I never crimp, then rotate the crimper 90° and crimp again..