Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2021, 06:11 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I too use one like that. They can be a little tricky until you learn how to release the ratcheting mechanism if you started it wrong. Nice tool.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2021, 06:20 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New style wire connectors

This is the way wire connecting is going now. They have low melt point solder already inside of heat shrink tubing. You can solder and seal with a plain lighter. But I prefer a heat gun. They have small ones just for little things like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300pcs-Wate....c101195.m1851
phil8656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got it, thanks.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8656 View Post
This is the way wire connecting is going now. They have low melt point solder already inside of heat shrink tubing. You can solder and seal with a plain lighter. But I prefer a heat gun. They have small ones just for little things like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300pcs-Wate....c101195.m1851
What has been your experience with these connectors...???

I cringe a little when I see you can buy a 300 piece kit for $8.00... and Anchor brand, marine butt connectors cost $23 for a 25 piece pack...

I have used the Anchor brand for many years on my boats/cars/etc, with no connector issues...

That price discrepancy between the two has me wondering about the quality of the solder connectors...
Old 02-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #61

i have been working on cars and trailers my whole adult life. In the early days of wiring I soldered every connection and covered it with heat shrink tubing but that also leads to stiff connections.
Then later, a simple crush crimper By Gardner Bender. Better then soldering but often my connections would pull apart. About a year ago i had had it.nothing i tried worked very well. I went on a quest to find reasonably priced connectors that were color coded by size that included both insulated and uninsulated connectors coupled with a ratcheting crimper. I also wanted the insulated connectors to be pre filled with adhesive and the connectors to have heat shrink insulators. I finally settled on the Wirefly system and ordered it through amazon. I have to admit that I should have done this sooner.
The ratcheting crimper works beautifully when paired with the Wirefly connectors and the replaceable crimping dies are very good at not damaging the insulation during crimping. When shrinking with a heat gun after crimping, you can see the insulation shrink down around the wire beyond the length of the crimper and the adhesive within the connector seal the ends. I ended up buying the crimper, the 540 piece terminal set, and butt joint set all made by Wirefly for about 100$ and have been quite satisfied. All of it off Amazon. 6 months after buying it, I ran across on line a review of wire crimping systems. Wirefly was rated very good within the economy line and considered a best buy which only confirmed my observations. Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #62

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
If I'm making what I expect to be a permanent connection, I use heat shrink crimp connectors. My preferred crimper is plier type.

If there is a fair chance that I'll need to changer out the connection, I use Wago connectors. They are easy to use, secure, and cover a wide range of wire sizes.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post

I cringe a little when I see you can buy a 300 piece kit for $8.00... and Anchor brand, marine butt connectors cost $23 for a 25 piece pack...

I have used the Anchor brand for many years on my boats/cars/etc, with no connector issues...

That price discrepancy between the two has me wondering about the quality of the solder connectors...

Yes me too?
Old 02-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Yes me too?
OP here I used them last summer and had the same concern.

Still working and havenít had an issue. They actually really felt good, so good I ordered another box😃

Time will tell.
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #65

These are long enough you don't need a ratcheting crimper. If you are using something like a ratcheting crimper, then you must have a lot of spare time on your hands. This one takes care of the leverage and also won't bend sideways like the cheap models do:
https://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Non.../dp/B0006M6Y5M
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:58 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post

I've been really impressed with this type of connector. There are two little issues though. Since the wires are just inserted into each end you have to hold them in place while soldering. So I use an old crimper of mine to barely squeeze them to stay still.
And using a lighter works to melt the solder and shrink the tubing but, as you probably know it can cause the shrink tubing to get a little burned. So I bought a miniature heat gun they sell just for shrink tubing. A lot safer.

Also this 300piece set is not the one I bought. I only got 30 or 40 pieces in my set. But couldn't find the link for that. So I posted this one for an example.
phil8656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Crimpers?

What I prefer is to use crimp connectors. But I take off the plastic piece. Then I slide a piece of heat shrink tube over the wire, Solder the connector on, then slide the heat shrink tube over the soldered part of the connector, and shrink it. I've always have done connectors this way. And it has paid off. I have never had to repair any connections that I have done in this manner.
mike-in-sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8656 View Post
I've been really impressed with this type of connector. There are two little issues though. Since the wires are just inserted into each end you have to hold them in place while soldering. So I use an old crimper of mine to barely squeeze them to stay still.
And using a lighter works to melt the solder and shrink the tubing but, as you probably know it can cause the shrink tubing to get a little burned. So I bought a miniature heat gun they sell just for shrink tubing. A lot safer.

Also this 300piece set is not the one I bought. I only got 30 or 40 pieces in my set. But couldn't find the link for that. So I posted this one for an example.
KISS - for me I slip the connector on one wire - then twist the two wires together to keep them from moving - slide the solder connector to the Middle then using a heat gun shrink the outside while the inside gets Hot - Solder melts and not only soldered but now even some what watertight union.

Used a bunch of these as almost all my old Crimped connections were Failing - thus the Question on the Ratcheting Crimper at the Beginning of this Thread.

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Darren over at MyRvWorks suggested these connectors to go with a good crimper so I bought them.
I also have a hydraulic crimper from HF with custom made dies as per Handy Bob if I remember right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just wanted to update;
The butt connectors are great. The spade connectors are inferior and don't work. I'm returning the spade connectors and keeping the rest.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:12 AM   #70

This is my Go To site for all things electrical for marine & RV. It is pointed towards boating but IMO if it works well in marine applications it will work well for RVs

https://marinehowto.com/

Here is an excellent article on crimpers and crimping.

https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

Many other very good articles on battys, cables, batty monitors, etc
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote