Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wire Feed under Coach

Hello everyone. I am looking for ideas on folks that possibly has fed wire under their coach from rear to front. I tried to run my wire above the bay compartments like all the other wires but keep hitting a wall at the 10 foot mark. Tried numerous times and gave up. So I like to run the wire under the coach along the frame rail to the front. There is no mounting points under the coach due to the cargo bay areas are real flat along the frame rail. The only option i see is to drill anchor points along the frame rail. My coach is a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40 foot. Anybody done something similar or any crafty ideas to help out. Thanks
RX7NOROTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7NOROTOR View Post
Hello everyone. I am looking for ideas on folks that possibly has fed wire under their coach from rear to front. I tried to run my wire above the bay compartments like all the other wires but keep hitting a wall at the 10 foot mark. Tried numerous times and gave up. So I like to run the wire under the coach along the frame rail to the front. There is no mounting points under the coach due to the cargo bay areas are real flat along the frame rail. The only option i see is to drill anchor points along the frame rail. My coach is a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40 foot. Anybody done something similar or any crafty ideas to help out. Thanks

Rather than drill the frame you could perhaps find clip mounts that would clamp on or wedge, augment that with some strong sticky stuff that they use instead of welds these days, and it should stay put. If you put a length of tubing down there it will serve as a raceway for future wire runs as well. Predrill a few weep holes to keep it from collecting water.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #3

I don't know what chassis you have but on mine, I found a blue wire under the dash that was labeled for a "brake controller" that was not being used and ran all the way to the rear hitch area. Maybe worth looking for something like that.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
I don't know what chassis you have but on mine, I found a blue wire under the dash that was labeled for a "brake controller" that was not being used and ran all the way to the rear hitch area. Maybe worth looking for something like that.
I have a 2003 monaco windsor and i looked under dash and did not see any wiring for a brake controller.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Rather than drill the frame you could perhaps find clip mounts that would clamp on or wedge, augment that with some strong sticky stuff that they use instead of welds these days, and it should stay put. If you put a length of tubing down there it will serve as a raceway for future wire runs as well. Predrill a few weep holes to keep it from collecting water.
Good idea for sure.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On any coach there are a bunch of wires that run the full length.
Just tape or zip tie your wire to them.
That's what I did to run an HDMI cord back to the TV in the rear.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
On any coach there are a bunch of wires that run the full length.
Just tape or zip tie your wire to them.
That's what I did to run an HDMI cord back to the TV in the rear.

Mike in Colorado
There are no wires under the bay areas along the frame rail. They are all above the bay areas and i tried this so many times and could not go through the entire bay area. Something was blocking my feed.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Could you install thin wall electrical conduit?
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Could you install thin wall electrical conduit?
yea that is my next task.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I wish monaco had run a conduit the full length of coach, but no such luck. I had to pull down each ceiling in the basements and feed the wire through. Very time consuming.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I used gray plastic electrical conduit and the plastic hangers. Screwed to bottom of frame rail.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
I used gray plastic electrical conduit and the plastic hangers. Screwed to bottom of frame rail.
That is what i am going to do....I got so filthy trying to run the wire above the bay areas....
Old 05-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

It seems hard to believe you have no wire looms under the chassis that you can piggy back on. My coach has a bunch of chassis wires underneath, strung along the frame rails. Installed by the chassis builder before the coach body went on. Plus some add-on body wires, e.g. the trailer plug, and docking lights that are low on the body.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It seems hard to believe you have no wire looms under the chassis that you can piggy back on. My coach has a bunch of chassis wires underneath, strung along the frame rails. Installed by the chassis builder before the coach body went on. Plus some add-on body wires, e.g. the trailer plug, and docking lights that are low on the body.
My chassis has none under the bay areas for good reason to not be affected by road conditions. But all of mine are above the bay areas between the front and rear wheels. The problem is, you cannot see all the way through the channels above the bay areas and it is so cramped up there you really have to be a small person to get a good view. With that said, I tried to run with the existing wire looms but unsuccessful. Tried multiple times and got hung up midway....Seems like there might be a wall separation there with little to no room to pull anything else through. I tried feeding from the front and rear and got hung up same area. So I gave up on that and will run a conduit under the bay areas with hanger. At least I will have some room for future growth if needed.