Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Wiring

I'm hooking up a new plug on my dash for my GPS and TPS. My old plug has a yellow white and a white wire. My understanding is the white is always neutral. That would make the Yellow hot. Which is plus and minus? Am I right. I don't want to mix the polarity.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #2

The only way to know for sure is to use a multimeter.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #3

Never assume anything with electrical wiring. Better put a meter on it and see what you're working with.
danielmcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3398 View Post
I'm hooking up a new plug on my dash for my GPS and TPS. My old plug has a yellow white and a white wire. My understanding is the white is always neutral. That would make the Yellow hot. Which is plus and minus? Am I right. I don't want to mix the polarity.
When in doubt...and you should always be in doubt, put a meter on it. If the needle swings to 12v, your black meter lead is negative. If the needle bounces backwards agains the post (or reads -12v on digital) then switch your leads and you will have the definitive answer.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wiñnebago use yellow wiring for the positive 12 volt lead. Check the wiring diagram or use a volt meter to confirm. The "other" wire in 12 volt DC systems is the ground. In AC systems, the term neutral is used and it is connected to the system ground in the distribution box. Good luck and be sure to check and then check again to be certain when working with any wiring.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

Thank you for all the advice. All hooked up and working fine. I learn something every time I post here. Thanks again
Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

For future reference, "White is always neutral" is true only for alternating current circuits (e.g.120vac). There is no accepted color standard for DC circuits, so always use your meter to determine what is what.

Besides "neutral" is an alternating current term. Direct current has plus & minus, one of which will be considered the ground side. In RVs and vehicles and most a;; DC applications, the negative side will be ground.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
...There is no accepted color standard for DC circuits, so always use your meter to determine what is what.
In theory, black is supposed to be ground in a DC circuit in the US. Europe uses brown. And RVs seem to use whatever they damn'ed well please! So agreed: use that meter, that's what I do.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
In theory, black is supposed to be ground in a DC circuit in the US. Europe uses brown. And RVs seem to use whatever they damn'ed well please! So agreed: use that meter, that's what I do.
Not in trailer wiring. White is ground, blue is brake and black is +. Green & Yellow are R & L turn and brown is tail.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #10

Again, thank you all. Up until now I only used my meter to tell if there was current or how charged my batteries were. I used the advise and everything was easy after that. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
OCM

If you're color blind, like me, you get very good at reading a multi meter, or as a fall back " Excuse me mam, what color is this?". It's rare to find a color blind woman.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #12

TPS?

Quote:
What do you mean by TPS? Tire Pressure Sensor? Just curious.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:13 AM   #13

Yes Tire Pressure System.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes Tire Pressure System.
Cool, is it a factory system or something you added later?

Tags
wiring