Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Actually its my motorhome, I wanted the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. First an old truck one, second a class A, then to a real old diesel pusher. I learned to drive them, hubby maintains them. He worked away for many a year so isn't to interested in traveling, he goes some. DD goes with me and she is mentally challenged so can't help plus my 20 year old kitty. I also pull a toad, so 38 plus foot motorhome and toad. I don't have anyone to help spot so I'm just in and out a lot if I have to back in.

I actually like driving it better then a car or truck on the open road. Going
to long as I can, don't get to go half as much as I would like, but that could change some this year.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
Actually its my motorhome.
Good for you Pat!!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #31

In Australia you have to pass the license for the particular class of vehicle so Betty had to do it in our MCI conversion - 40' tag axle, considerably underpowered 8V71 with a four speed crash box and a turning circle only marginally better than a supertanker.
Compared to that, our Airstream MH in the US is easy as.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:44 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My wife is 5'2" and 66, and had a lot of anxiety about the thought of driving our new 45 DP (w/tow vehicle) which is our 1st coach until we took the RV Driving school (2-day course) wherein she gained confidence and has since willingly offered (and many times does) share the wheel with me. If for nothing more - it's important for both to be able to drive - think Medical Emergency.

I should mention, her desire to drive is not limited to flat open roads, she's up for congested traffic, elevations, small towns, etc. and I too and confident in her capability to do just that. I'd also add she is a better driver than being a co-pilot navigator - which we're working on.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My wife drives our Monaco on the highway, but doesn't want anything to do with driving in built up areas. She's 5'2" and can barely reach the pedals with the seat all the way forward.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
You're all lucky that the ergonomics are suitable for your wives. They must be much taller than mine (she's just < 5 feet). We never thought to check when we bought our 32' Georgetown (F53 chassis, Flexsteel seats). It turned out that she couldn't reach the pedals, even with the seat at its most forward position and her feet didn't reach the floor as the seat had no height adjustment. Next issue was the steering column - not telescopic and very limited tilt adjustment.

I did all the driving and found I couldn't drive more than about 150 miles without a walk around outside and hip pain prevented more than about 250 a day. We sold the rig after our fourth season and haven't replaced it. Had we kept it, I was looking at replacing the Flexsteel seats with Recaro transit coach seats. I could easily handle 9-hour days as a coach driver with those seats.
I have the same problem as your wife and my wife was also in the same boat, both of us under 5'5". Luckily we went to the factory to pick up our RV and the moment I sat in the seat I realized that driving it would be a hazzard. It seems the seats were set for drivers 6' and up so at the factory, they pulled my seat up....had me sit it in it and they adjusted it to my precise comfort and rebolted it and repaired the floor. I still do most of the driving but I am glad that she can as well if need be.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #35

When we go for the family trips, my dad, mom and I take turns to drive. My mom drives well during the dark. Women are good drivers too. I think that women tend to drive safe than men.
I found this blog about the biology of men and women drivers. https://www.autoloansolutions.ca/blo...-science-says/ Men gets agitated fast and their mood reflects more in their driving. However, women can keep calm even during frustrating times. This blog says men has better cognitive skills but, I know many guys who drive so poorly. It's still open for debate.
streetcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #36

A lot of you are lucky. My wife tried driving on the interstate. First Semi that passed her, she pulled over and said she was "done".
LaurenceStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #37
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My DW drove 20' of the 93,000 miles we recorded with two MH's. Twice at gas stations, she pulled it up 10'. We decided early on that our respective seats ( me in the left and her in the right ( she's always right ) was the best for us. She took the Lazy Days course and was quite capable of driving it if the need occurred. I'm a terrible passenger and she's a great nagrivator. No spelling error there . That's a self described title and she's proud of it .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #38

My wife can take over when ever it's necessary. After my knee surgery, she drove us from one side of Kansas City to the other, south to Arkansas and east to Eureka Springs. You haven't lived until you've navigated the roads to Eureka Springs. But she is only 73.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #39

Mary learned to drive farm trucks and became used to the tractor trailer "pull" when passing. For us it is a safety factor for both of us to drive. As we get older we feel that no one should drive for extended periods.
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Ive been driving our 42' Beaver Patriot Thunder with Jeep Cherokee toad for 3.5 yrs I LOVE driving it. If we are staying somewhere and need to re fuel prior to hitting the road again we always go out in the jeep & check out local fueling stations to make sure we can get in AND out.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We got our first class A Winnebago in 1976. The DW has driven all of the rigs ever since. Even a few tractors, a D2 and Case 580.
She has done most of the boat launching with a F750 5/2 with air brakes, and a 10' wide 28' boat. I get to man the lines. She is 5'2"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterbed3.gif
Views:	43
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	147368  
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
I finally got DW to drive ours this last trip for three hours and I actually took a nap... it was great!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver