Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Won’t start after fuel filter change.

2013 (2012?) FW Expedition 6.7 Cummins.
Changed both fuel filters.
Water separator filled on it’s own.
Prefilled fuel filter as directed.
Cycled ignition switch several times 5-6 times. Wouldn’t start. Tried it again so I quit.

Do I need to bleed it?
If so, how?

Thanks.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Air in lines. Have to bleed fuel from pump forward by opening the fuel lines . search youtube for fuel line bleed should help some

https://youtu.be/dflMxYDOPns
Old 09-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
2013 (2012?) FW Expedition 6.7 Cummins.
Changed both fuel filters.
Water separator filled on it’s own.
Prefilled fuel filter as directed.
Cycled ignition switch several times 5-6 times. Wouldn’t start. Tried it again so I quit.

Do I need to bleed it?
If so, how?

Thanks.

PS: I posted this in Cummins forum and didn’t get much traction.
If you’ll take an air hose with a rag around it and put it in the fuel fill tube have someone crank the engine while you hold the air line with the rag and increase the air pressure the engine will start. Don’t worry you can’t hold enough pressure to hurt the tank.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #4

I had a heck of a time getting mine started after changing filters. Long story but taking off the fuel filter and again filling with fuel worked for me. Had filled it before but seemed to need it again. Mine is Cummins ISB. Good luck.
Topworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
If you’ll take an air hose with a rag around it and put it in the fuel fill tube have someone crank the engine while you hold the air line with the rag and increase the air pressure the engine will start. Don’t worry you can’t hold enough pressure to hurt the tank.
This....
I'll add that loosen the fuel line coming out of secondary filter housing and pressure the fuel tank, once fuel flows from line, tighten it up, Crank engine and when it starts hold it half throttle till it runs smoothly.

If you don't have access to air pressure, make sure both filters are full, loosen 3 or 4 injector lines at cylinder head, Crank for 30 or so seconds, let starter cool a bit and keep cranking until you get fuel from all the injector lines. Tighten them up, crank and hold throttle down.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topworth View Post
I had a heck of a time getting mine started after changing filters. Long story but taking off the fuel filter and again filling with fuel worked for me. Had filled it before but seemed to need it again. Mine is Cummins ISB. Good luck.

I will try that.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #8

This happened to me the first time I changed filters, same engine as you. In my case I got excellent advice here. I had already done the 'final' filter and successfully restarted. The separator was 'no go'. Per advice here from Skip426 I removed the separator and found that the level was down about 2 inches just as he predicted. I topped it up again, reinstalled and got a restart with no further drama.
I would definitely try this before cracking into fuel lines or gently pressuring the tank, not that those things aren't needed or won't work. To me it's best to avoid breaking into 'something else' if you can get around it by working with what's already been disturbed.
Note, on that first change I was careful to have the fuel tank fairly low for fear of getting a diesel bath. Now, I make a point of having the tank well over half full. I think I was showing about 3/4 on the gauge this year and the fuel drippage was minimal. Plus, it started right up without having to do the 'top up'. Good Luck and I hope that's all you're going to have to do.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Not sure about the newer ISB but on the older ones you have to bump the starter to get the electric lift pump to run longer. Just turning the key on only runs it briefly but going further and getting the starter to run briefly will activate the lift pump for 30 seconds. 3-4 times doing this should get the air out of the system with out opening any lines or putting air on the tank.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #10

The new water separating fuel filter said not to fill it on the side. So, I didn’t. After removal of the old one the fuel was coming out in a small stream from the base.
The regular fuel filter said to fill it, so I did.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #11

Rechecked filters and they are full.
Still won’t start.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are you leaving the key at the 'run' position after cranking the engine, and leaving it in this position for a minute or so?
Old 09-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #13

No.
What will that do?

Pulled regular fuel filter and refilled.
There is fuel at the banjo bolt at the fuel rail.
Still no go.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #14

You leave the key on so that the fuel pump runs and helps prime the system. I think my model said it runs for 18 seconds. A few cycles of this should help. I never thought to mention this earlier, wrongly assumed that you knew about this. If it's still a no-start, unfortunately you may have to bleed the injectors or try gently pressuring the fuel tank.
Perseverance will carry the day.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter change