Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2019, 05:43 AM   #1

Wont accelerate after restarting it when hot

I have a 97 gulfstream 32 ft class a 460 ford , fuel injected It seems after driving a half hour at this point it runs fine and shutting it off and starting up in 20 mins or so, Its hard to start , when trying to accelerate a short distance it will backfire, miss, and seems to lunge like you were on and off the gas, This also happens when you stop for a light and try to move again it acts up missing./backfiring/ no power can barely get through the intersection. So at first we did a tune up , plugs/wires/cap/rotor, 5 bottles of gasline antifreeze incase of water drove for 2 hrs non stop,acted up pulling into my driveway. still same problem then replaced fuel filter and ignition coil , still not fixed, Seems to me its heat related some how. after you park and restart . My mech has suggested a ignition coil module, and going to check pump pressure. They did have the tank out last fall to replace the faulty filler neck, filled it up with gas and put in conditioner and I drove it home and parked it for the winter, This all started this summer with my first 2 hr trip, I am really at a loss here,any ideas or recommendations would be very appreciated, thanks Richard
richard1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
SWAG would be fuel pump. I was having trouble with my suburban and my mechanic friend suggested fuel pump so I changed. Solved the problem.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:41 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel pump, fuel filter, or pressure regulator would be my first guesses..

put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail, that will tell the story.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have the fuel pressure checked. These units had a lot of fuel pump problems one of them being a bad ground but mostly bad fuel pumps.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
At that age, also look at the condition of the insulating material that may protect fuel system components from heat. Your scenario is classic for heat soak/vapor lock. Fuel quality , ethanol content (which may not actually be what the pump says it is), these could be a factor.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:37 AM   #6

thanks
Found to be old fuel, pump pressure is fine, As I went from full tank to 1/4 and 5 bottles of gasline antifreeze it seemed to work better , then I put in a ltr of Lucas fuel conditioner and 80lts of new gas , drove 3 times for 45mins and all is good , This was the first time a filled the tank in nov, and parked it, with ethanol conditioner. no more lol,
richard1437 is offline   Reply With Quote