Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #1

Wood floor,kit. slide

I have a 2005 Monaco LaPalma that has 3 slides. Has anyone here done a wood floor replacement where the kit. slide is still about 2 ft. into the motorhome in the out position. I know the slide is on rollers and the floor now, which is laminate, goes under the cabinets. Looks like a PIA to remove and reinstall. Don't know how the laminate is held down, don't think glue was used.

Any insight on how to proceed who be greatly appreciated.
Barski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

The only thing I have to say is that I own a used motorhome where the flooring was replaced without regard to the slide. It certainly is more difficult to use the slide, since I have to slip carpet strips under the rollers to prevent the floor from being damaged. My thoughts on fixing this issue is to replace the laminate with vinyl wood-look strips. Much thinner than laminate. I'll be following the answers, and good luck Barski!
earlmarsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
SMB

I installed Home Depots vinyl plank flooring, all but bedroom and forward cockpit. Removed all old wood flooring, put down layer of Luan and the vinyl plank over it. The vinyl is a floating floor that with the Luan slid neatly under the rollers while slide was in it's extended position. Reminder, all the old wood flooring had to be picked out from under the rollers. Have never had a problem while using.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

Did you remove all the flooring under the slide or just to behind the rollers? The reason I ask is my kit. slide is about 2 ft into the room where full extended.

Mike
Old 11-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
SMB

Barski,
With the slide extended; did not remove sub-floor, only the old hardwood which was about 1/2-5/8" thick. The new vinyl plank and 1/8" Luan replaced over half of the hardwood thickness which has seemed to be enough for the slide to move in and out easily. The slide hides the flooring line when extended/out for it's full length/width, I believe we only put the flooring back under the rollers where the rollers were, not the entire length of the slide. I recall lifting the rollers/slide with a couple of bars in order to fit the flooring and Luan under the roller. Not real easy, but it worked.
My concern for doing it this way was the thought of the roller hanging up on the new floating/non-glued vinyl and Luan as it was rolled in. In this way the roller starts on one even surface during it's entire trip in or out.
I have not noticed any indentations/tracks from the rollers in the new flooring. This includes being stored retracted for several months and traveling over 15K miles with many stops since installation. My slide is a kitchen/couch 2' X 16', I believe there were 3 rollers.
Did not remove any cabinets. Vinyl is easily cut to fit and where I wanted I used 3/8" shoe molding trim. The flooring, Home Depot Allure, is a floating, non glued material. The pieces stick to each other but are not secured to the sub-surface. Very easy to work with.
Hope this helps,
Old 11-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply. Going to use engineered flooring. Have the same concerns about old to new floor. Will start on flooring removals next week, have to get living room rewelded as some off the welds broke.

Tags
slide