Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #1

Workhorse Brake Recall Ripoff

I recently recieved a recall notice from Workhorse to replace defective calipers.
I set up appt. with dealer, and on the way, brakes burned up and I almost had an accident trying to stop.
I had to be towed the rest of the way to the dealer.
Dealer informed that all 4 rotors were cracked and had to be replaced.
An ABS sensor had melted and Brake Pads needed to be replaced.
This is on a 2004 Coachman Santara with 33,000 miles.
Workhorse will only cover replacing the calipers and want nothing to do with the rest of the damage.
The dealer informs me that this will cost approximately $2,800 for repairs.
Workhorse had a previous recall on these same calipers and indicated that the caliper slides were sticking. I had that recall performed.
Its obvious that Workhorse is not living up to its responsibilities and is trying to get through this as cheaply as possible with our lives at stake.
JimM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have you talked to Workhorse? I find that some of these Dealers are just not honest. I cannot beleive that Workhorse will not back your problem. Something sounds fishey to me. The price is way too high for one thing. Workhorse has a plan with their dealers where they replace all rotors, seals, pads and replace the calipers and furnish the brake fluid for $1500. I am thinking this dealers is trying to take you, get a second opinion if you can or at least talk to Workhorse. Just my opinion.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #3

I agree, I would DEFINITELY want to speak directly to Workhorse before doing anything else.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
paz

Workhorse is supposed to be covering anything that is collateral damage. If your brake pads are worn, they're not covered. But if you have a caliper sticking and the rotor, brake pads and/or ABS sensors are damaged they're supposed to all be covered - but only the components on the sticking caliper. Call Workhorse for clarification. Offer to send photos if the dealer won't.

As someone has said, Workhorse has a deal, but only with participating dealers, where they will replace pads, etc. for a fixed price. This price takes into account everything will be disassembled to replace the calipers anyway, so labor costs are minimal.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is exactly the reason we stayed away from a Workhorse rig when we started looking for our coach. It's been almost 3 years for this solution and they are still horsing around.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM123 View Post
I recently recieved a recall notice from Workhorse to replace defective calipers.
I set up appt. with dealer, and on the way, brakes burned up and I almost had an accident trying to stop.
I had to be towed the rest of the way to the dealer.
Dealer informed that all 4 rotors were cracked and had to be replaced.
An ABS sensor had melted and Brake Pads needed to be replaced.
This is on a 2004 Coachman Santara with 33,000 miles.
Workhorse will only cover replacing the calipers and want nothing to do with the rest of the damage.
The dealer informs me that this will cost approximately $2,800 for repairs.
Workhorse had a previous recall on these same calipers and indicated that the caliper slides were sticking. I had that recall performed.
Its obvious that Workhorse is not living up to its responsibilities and is trying to get through this as cheaply as possible with our lives at stake.
My question is are they a Workhorse service center or just an rv dealer?
If it is in fact a Workhorse select service center you need get the district rep involved. Many others have run into this same situation when dealing with anyone other than a Workhorse service center.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #7

workhorse brakes recall

I have a 34F 2005 Bounder,25000 miles and brakes are fine.why should i get ripped off by the dealer,I might not get it Done.
savitbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by savitbound View Post
I have a 34F 2005 Bounder,25000 miles and brakes are fine.why should i get ripped off by the dealer,I might not get it Done.
Bad move in my opinion. My brakes were working fine too, but there is too high a probability of brake seizure or failure. Go to the Workhorse chassis forum and read up on what can happen. When they took my brakes off I found both rear rotors cracked. $700 to replace the rotors pads, and seals, but certainly worth the safety of my family. $1400 is the going rate to do all four wheels if there is no damage caused by the calipers.

The select service centers are mostlly reputable - again check the Workhorse chassis forum for some recommended centers.

2003 Bounder 35R W22
Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #9

Workhorse Brake Recall Ripoff

Thanks folks, but I have spoken with Workhorse Customer Service Mgr. and Regional Manager.
They tell me by law they are only responsible for calipers.
Dealer sent photos of Rotors to Regional Manager(Dennis Bloom) and he told them that the Rotors could be turned.
I spoke with the Technician doing the work and was informed that both back rotors were cracked and could not be turned and the front Rotors were questionable, and may have to be turned below allowable limits, at which point would have to be replaced anyway.
By the way, their Customer Service Manager would not let me get a word in while she rattled off what their Federal responsibilites were.
Its obvious they are shirking their responsibities as a manufacturer and counting on the Law to get through this recall for as little as possible.
JimM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #10

At workhorse direction and expense, have the rotors turned. When is turns out that they are below tolerance or at tolerance and still unusable, get them back on the phone. You are going to have to keep pressing to get them covered.

Workhorse has little incentive to help current customers on a good faith basis as they have left the gas chassis market, are owned by a new corporate parent that has no interest in the market segment and just want to put the federally mandated recall behind them for as little cost as possible. Currnet workhorse owners are indeed hung out to dry.

If it were me, I'd get the free calipers installed per the recall ONLY and then take the coach elsewhere for the remainder of the work a more reasonable pricing. THe workhorse dealers are getting stiffed on this for labor as well. They are highly encouraged to make up the cost by selling additional work for a 'complete job' so as not to lose money on the recall.

I feel in time the NHTSA will get involved and reprimand workhorse for the way they are handling this but if you want your brakes fixed, you are going to have to get involved.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #11

I got the recall for my 2009 Workhorse. Made an appointment with the nearest workhorse shop, southwestern truck in Mckinney, and got it done in one day.
ronswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Had the calipers replaced 1 mo ago with the recall at Brazel's RV Performance in Centralia, WA. WH authorized service center. Had pads replaced, 20K miles on coach. Good folks to work with, fast (1 day with long standing apointment) and willing to work with you and don't get "put off" with all my questions. All billed to WH, no cost to me except for pads.
Fletcher0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had my brakes go out in July of 2009, Workhorse would only let the dealer replace 1 caliper . I paid to have 2 rotors and 2 sets of pads, 1 caliber and 2 abs sensors. A cost of 1200.00 I filed a claim with Workhorse when I got home and recieved a check in the mail in April 2010 for the full amount. Might be worth contacting Workhorse and not believing the repair center.
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #14

I know exactly who that Workhorse employee who talked over you and would not let you talk. They shafted me out of charges that were obviously directly related to their recall. I had to be towed and they said only the rear brakes were defective even though the dealer said all four were defective. 800 miles later, I was very lucky to not go over the side of a mountain on the Blue Ridge Parkway when the front defective brakes failed. Somebody is going to be killed with their horrible attitudes and cheapskate customer service. They owe me $225 and just told me they wouldn’t pay and will give no explanation except they are not “required” by law. As this gets around, the resale value of our coaches are going to plummet. My brother had a dealer tell him they won’t take a Workhorse chassis in trade due to liability problems with the brakes. They had me go on a long trip to get the original receipt of a tow bill and send it to them return receipt requested and used it to deny a $3 toll charge that was on the toll bill when the driver took a toll road as the shortest way back to the dealer. When a company is that cheap, you have to figure they have no respect for their customers. They also tried to stick me with a $208 charge a month after the second brake failure. Looks like when their defective brakes almost kill somebody, they would at least be nice to you. See photos of my ordeal at the link below.

workhorsebrakes1