Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: workhorse LED odometer illegible
Replaced LED already 9 64.29%
Need replacement due to illegible (safety concerns) 5 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

workhorse LED odometer, gear designator degraded

How many workhorse owners have the LED odometer, gear designator or other monitors illegible that have replaced or need to replace LED since it is now unsafe to see what gear you are in or just can't read LED? Has anyone filled a complaint with the NHTSA my cliam # is 10538214. Just owned my RV for ten months had electric short that caused damage and RV not under warranty. Workhorse dealer stated he had 3 calls for same problem in same day I called and this has been a problem since day one. This is $800 dollar fix and according to workhorse x-dealer workhorse has no vendor to work with anymore since some disagreement with LED vendor. Help get this problem fixed under NHTSA and report this problem or is this a waste of time.
kniljw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What year is your Workhorse?

I assume you have the Actia gauges. I'm on the third set in my coach but they were replaced under warranty.

The original was grey and you couldn't see it. My latest one is amber and a little bit more visible.

Good luck with the NHTSA.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniljw View Post
How many workhorse owners have the LED odometer, gear designator or other monitors illegible that have replaced or need to replace LED since it is now unsafe to see what gear you are in or just can't read LED? Has anyone filled a complaint with the NHTSA my cliam # is 10538214. Just owned my RV for ten months had electric short that caused damage and RV not under warranty. Workhorse dealer stated he had 3 calls for same problem in same day I called and this has been a problem since day one. This is $800 dollar fix and according to workhorse x-dealer workhorse has no vendor to work with anymore since some disagreement with LED vendor. Help get this problem fixed under NHTSA and report this problem or is this a waste of time.
I assume you are talking about the LCD portion of the Actia Instrument cluster used by Workhorse (and others) for many years. The LCD is not a separate component, and has been a problem for many of us. There are several options for repair, all of which require the entire cluster to be removed and sent in for repair. The ODO portion of the replacement unit MUST be programmed to display the actual mileage on the coach. You are not required to use a WCC ASC in order to get this done.

I suggest you visit the Workhorse forum here on iRV2.com and search there for the many threads on this subject.

IMO, you are only wasting your time trying to get "help" from NHTSA because failed or "hard -to-read" gauges are not safety issues that cause them great concern.

Good luck.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had to replace mine about 4 yrs ago that had vertical stripes. My aftermarket warranty paid for most of it, but I took some time to get the replacement. No problems since then.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse does not use an LED indicator as far as I know.

They do, however, use an LCD display, and there is a TSB on some of them (I know mine was replaced under TSB).

Here is what happened... The display went wonkey, half the letters/numbers dissappeared.. As it happened I was ON MY WAY to the factory warranty shop when this happened (Talk about timing) so.. new dash. (With luck like that I should have bought lotto tickets).

I have very nice things to say about the Damon Factory 12 (Warranty Shop). They are the very good.

Oh, I did not vote, because even with the problem I always knew what gear I was in.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 and the world of RVlng.
You can send back to Actia or send to this repair center for less cost.
Its not a $800 cost you can replace yourself or pay the dealer the $450 to do it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Workhorse does not use an LED indicator as far as I know.

They do, however, use an LCD display, and there is a TSB on some of them (I know mine was replaced under TSB).

Here is what happened... The display went wonkey, half the letters/numbers dissappeared.. As it happened I was ON MY WAY to the factory warranty shop when this happened (Talk about timing) so.. new dash. (With luck like that I should have bought lotto tickets).

I have very nice things to say about the Damon Factory 12 (Warranty Shop). They are the very good.

Oh, I did not vote, because even with the problem I always knew what gear I was in.
What does TSB stand for? Where do I locate the TSB that identifies which units qualify. thank you
kniljw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #8

TSB is a Tech. Service Bulletin for the repair shop. I would like to see as many W/H owners as possible do the poll, but the results only will show if one had or is having a problem. There should be an option to check "No problem with original display (so far)". Then we might have a better idea what % of units have/had problem. Even better would be a by-year graphing to see if the Actia displays were worse at some time or got better later on. Mine was an '04 build, but my replacement (2011) seems to be holding up OK.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #9

Workhorse Actia LCD cluster now $900 to replace

I am just now getting my Actia display replaced on my 2004 Fleetwood workhorse. I had to take it out, pack it up and send it into Actia. The total cost was $454 plus shipping. It is on its way back to me now. However, they are now charging $900 to replace the Actia cluster as of January 1, 2014.

It really steams me that a known manufacturing defect with 100% failure rate is not being replaced at no cost by Actia or workhorse. Why should someone pay $100,000 for a vehicle and then have to pay again to replace a manufacturing defect? I wish someone with a lawyer would get involved.

How nice is it for Actia? They get paid for the part initially (knowing it is defective), and then get paid again when they replace it. Wow, what a good business to be in.

If the part fails again (which some have eluded to), I guess I will just go without the display.
ackeele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #10

Not familiar with the situation at all, isn't one possible solution to get a scangauge and use IT to show the information that was on the display AND MORE?

Sorry if I am totally off base.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never seen a TSB on the Actia IP. Back in the 2004 time frame there was a recall on it though. It was to reflash the memory to fix a communication problem between it and the ABS system.

The recall was:
50402-C

Defect Summary: CERTAIN CLASS A MOTOR HOMES BUILT ON WORKHORSE CHASSIS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) NO. 101, "CONTROLS AND DISPLAY" AND STANDARD NO. 105 "HYDRAULIC AND ELECTRIC BRAKE SYSTEMS." MODELS WITH ACTIA INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, THE INCORRECT SOFTWARE PROGRAMMED INTO THE CLUSTER SUCH THAT CERTAIN WARNINGS ARE NOT DISPLAYED.
Consequence Summary: INCORRECT SOFTWARE MAY NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO ILLUMINATE WARNING LAMPS INDICATING BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURES. THE STANDARDS REQUIRE DRIVER WARNING WHEN BRAKE FAILURE CODES ARE SET.
Corrective Summary: WORKHORSE IS CONDUCTING THE OWNER NOTIFICATION AND REMEDY FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 1-877-294-6773 .

Tags
workhorse