Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Workhorse misses in the rain

DW and I just returned from a trip from Pa to Fl and back. We had visits from tropical storm Isaac along the way. Our Workhorse chassis performed flawlessly during the dry days but spit and sputtered in the rain. Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you deal with it. (other than staying home in the rain)?
coxj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I've read about this problem before on this forum. Some have found water in air intake and had various deflectors added. Others have found water splashing up on engine from tires and have designed their own deflectors. Use the search function and you'll find threads about this.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Yes, check to see if all the deflectors are in place.
How old are your wires, plugs and cap ? If they are old and weak it does not take much moisture blowing through the radiator to start them arcing out.
I use to spay my truck wires and cap with a sealer just to avoid that problem.
Just something to think about.
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxj93 View Post
DW and I just returned from a trip from Pa to Fl and back. We had visits from tropical storm Isaac along the way. Our Workhorse chassis performed flawlessly during the dry days but spit and sputtered in the rain. Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you deal with it. (other than staying home in the rain)?
Welcome to iRV2.com! You've come to the right place for all things RV. You will find a huge resource here down below in the Chassis Club section, and the Workhorse forum in particular. I suggest you search there, and I am sure you will find plenty of info about your issue. Most of those will be older threads, but they contain many solutions.

Since your missing problem occurs only when driving in rain, IMO your air filter box is probably not completely sealed, allowing a fine mist to be sucked in until the air filter becomes so saturated that the moisture is affecting the MAF, and that is causing the ECM to mis-behave. I think you will find some pictures HERE:http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...ser=19091&sl=e that I posted years ago showing how I fixed mine.

Good luck, and again WELCOME!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #5

I'd check plug wires first. You could get a spray on coating at an auto supply store and use it as a temporary measure to try it before you go through the expense of a new set of wires. Any trouble getting it started on very damp mornings? Another sign of high voltage leaking through the wires.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #6

WH Spark Plug issue

Just did a similar trip from FL to NY and back. I have found that the Workhorse 8.1L (496) has a lot of heat around the spark plugs. You will also find a reduced MPG as a result. Also climbing those hills (Slow driving and not a lot of speed to cool) will really cook them. Check down at the spark plug and remove the plug wires from them to see if you have fried yours. If wire comes out of the boot you have an issue. Replaceing the plugs will help for a short time. I have ordered headers from Banks as I have read that they will pull the heat away from the engine better. I have also found by removing my current exhaust a couple of broken header bolts which would have helped fry the plug wires. (Apparently this is a known issue.) Still in the process of adding the BANKS system. I have seen others try to put Aluminum sheilds around the plugs but I feel this is just a bandaide for the real problem. Plugs are easy access from inside the MH. Make sure the engine is cool before looking. Good Luck!
fleatools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

We had a Workhorse engine a few years back that did the same thing. It was sucking water into the air intake. I put a baffle in front of the air intake and it helped a lot.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two years ago I found that my air filter was wet after a trip in the rain. Nice folks on this forum said to check the Hood. Open your hood, look at the big air intake. Mine was right behind the hood and their was a one inch opening all around the hood when it was closed for water to run into the air intake. I bought some self stick rubber bulb from AutoZone placed it all around the inside of the hood and no more wet filter. I hope yours is this simple to fix..
Old 09-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Two years ago I found that my air filter was wet after a trip in the rain. Nice folks on this forum said to check the Hood. Open your hood, look at the big air intake. Mine was right behind the hood and their was a one inch opening all around the hood when it was closed for water to run into the air intake. I bought some self stick rubber bulb from AutoZone placed it all around the inside of the hood and no more wet filter. I hope yours is this simple to fix..
Same here just seal it up around the hood opening. All the water running down the front of the MH runs in around the hood opening and into the air intake.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse