Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Suspension and now Brakes?

OK. Where to start.

When I first got the RV in 2015 (a 2003 Scottsdale, used, in AS IS condition) from the dealer who'd been servicing it since the original owner bought it from him, I thought anything serious with the RV would have been dealt with before the original owner traded it in. Then, and as usual, at delivery of most RVs there's a list of checks any reputable RV dealer (of Newmar) would complete before handing over the keys.

The RV has a Workhorse 3257 chassis and as I had never driven an RV before, I figured a little bouncing on the highway was normal for a gas RV until this year when at times I felt I was going airborne rolling over a highway hump at 50mph. Not good. So, I took the rig to a proper Auto Spring Suspension shop and it turns out that it needed $2,500.00 in fixes including the addition of leaf springs to each rear suspension, U bolts, replacement of front tie rod ends (they were completely crushed and the highway carnival rides probably did them in), pins, piw kit - you name it.

OK fine. I figured it was a used RV and at 60K miles, it might need some work.

The spring work was done in March of this year and since then the RV sat in the driveway until last Tuesday (I live in the North East). So I started on my trip and for the first time ever - applying the brakes felt like they were grinding gravel for pavement cement. Even after coming to a full stop, it didn't feel as though the brakes were fully disengaged. Initially I kept pressing up on the brake pedal hoping to alleviate any sticking. Then I also thought that maybe by going to and from my destination, any build up of rust might smooth out? No such luck - the brakes were grinding just as bad when I got home. I've lived to tell this tale so hopefully I haven't 'done in' the brakes like I did the suspension.

What could it be?

I've read there was a recall on the brakes for Workhorse though I am unsure if the 3257 chassis was included. How do I find that out?

Even so, assuming the brake recall work was done, I'd have to consider when it was done, the mileage since that work in order to determine whether it's time to do another brake job? Is that right?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm hoping that I'm not looking at brake job but on the bright side, at least I'm still here to write my story on this forum.
MsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

So sorry that you've got all those mechanical problems! I'm not a mechanic so can't help with that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
You've had it since 2015: what preventative and regular maintenance have you done? Do you follow the Workhorse annual maintenance schedule or another maintenance program?

Suspension components, brakes, tires, etc., are all consumable items that wear out and have to be replaced in time, even with regular upkeep and care. Without regular care and upkeep, they can fail at the worst possible times and put you and other road users at risk.

I'd guess that you're probably looking at pads and rotors, based on the symptoms you describe, but you'd have to have a mechanic look at the brakes to tell you for sure. While you have the rig in the shop, I'd get a good overall inspection and annual tune-up to see what else might (or might not!) need attention on the chassis.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #4

If.you post your vin there are a few members that can run your vin to see if the recalls were done
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceNinja View Post
You've had it since 2015: what preventative and regular maintenance have you done? Do you follow the Workhorse annual maintenance schedule or another maintenance program?

Suspension components, brakes, tires, etc., are all consumable items that wear out and have to be replaced in time, even with regular upkeep and care. Without regular care and upkeep, they can fail at the worst possible times and put you and other road users at risk.

I'd guess that you're probably looking at pads and rotors, based on the symptoms you describe, but you'd have to have a mechanic look at the brakes to tell you for sure. While you have the rig in the shop, I'd get a good overall inspection and annual tune-up to see what else might (or might not!) need attention on the chassis.
I suspect that because I've only put 2,500 miles on the rig since purchasing it in 2015, I may have just thought that I could get a full inspection of brakes and general maintenance done at the 5,000 mile mark or if something has gone wrong (like it just did). I change the oil regardless every 2 years or at approx 2,500 miles whichever comes first. I must admit that I may have not have been thinking of about doing a major tune up until the 5,000 mile mark. My bad. I'll take it in and have it inspected front to back as you've suggested. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I feel your pain. We bought our first motorhome (jumped right into the deep end with a 40 foot Diesel pusher...) last year. It was 9 years old and I spent the entire summer and fall doing maintenance and repair work.

It's in good shape now, but I still have to put in a lot of time to keep it that way. I *think* I got our preventative maintenance wrapped up for 2018 just last week. We'll see! :-D

Unfortunately, while you've only put 2,500 miles on it, the only way to know how many miles are on the brakes, suspension, etc., is if you have the full service records from the previous owner. I think you have a great plan with 2,500 and 5,000 mile maintenance intervals going forward, but those brakes could have had 25,000 miles on them before you took ownership.

You'll get it squared away with your visit the mechanic and will know where you stand going forward, which will be a great plan for the future.

You'll also love this community. I've learned so much here that it's incredible!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceNinja View Post
I feel your pain. We bought our first motorhome (jumped right into the deep end with a 40 foot Diesel pusher...) last year. It was 9 years old and I spent the entire summer and fall doing maintenance and repair work.

It's in good shape now, but I still have to put in a lot of time to keep it that way. I *think* I got our preventative maintenance wrapped up for 2018 just last week. We'll see! :-D

Unfortunately, while you've only put 2,500 miles on it, the only way to know how many miles are on the brakes, suspension, etc., is if you have the full service records from the previous owner. I think you have a great plan with 2,500 and 5,000 mile maintenance intervals going forward, but those brakes could have had 25,000 miles on them before you took ownership.

You'll get it squared away with your visit the mechanic and will know where you stand going forward, which will be a great plan for the future.

You'll also love this community. I've learned so much here that it's incredible!
Thanks!

So I am not alone in the realities of buying a pre-owned RV! I could never have afforded it new.

I expected I'd have to put some money into it and the brakes may just have been coincidental with the suspension work. I contacted Workhorse and the recall work was done in 2010 when the rig had 46,064 miles on her. So if the pads are original, they are long, long overdue for a change out. The Dealer: at 57,000 miles when they sold it to me, if the brake pads were original, (and they would have known that as part of their documented service records), you'd think at the very least I should have received a warning that the brakes pads would need to be changed within 12 months. I get the concept of what 'sold as is' means though now I could be looking at a much more expensive fix if the rotors are scored. Truth be told, I would have just had the work done when I bought it. Oh well.

Good luck with your rig - with all the updating done you can look forward to years of enjoyable travels.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #8

MsRV:

First let me say WELCOME to iRV2.com, where you will also find a sub-forum specifically for owners of Workhorse chassis powered motor homes.
Second, please allow me to try to help by telling you the number you posted isn't a WCC chassis model, but probably is the model of your Newmar coach. Most likely your chassis is a W-22, and if so, it was recalled to replace all four calipers. The brake pads were not included in the recall, but many owners opted to have new pads installed when the new calipers were being put on. Generally speaking, unless a previous owner has been "riding the brakes" or doing a LOT of mountain driving, the pads will last longer than 60K miles. However, if you are hearing grinding noises that indicates that you likely have one or more sets of pads that need replacement (and maybe the rotors too). ANY medium duty truck shop should be fully capable of repairing your brakes, and while I know nothing about your RV dealer, I will say that many RV dealers are not experts when it comes to chassis PM and major repairs such as brakes. I will also tell you that leaving a coach parked for months without being driven is arguably the worst thing you can do to your brakes, suspension, and motor/tranny combo. These things are medium duty truck chassis intended to see heavy and almost daily use, and "lack of use" was a significant contributing factor in the investigation that ultimately became the Bosch Brake recall. One of the reasons that is true is because brake fluid (DOT 3) is "designed" to absorb moisture so as to combat rusting of internal parts, but it can only hold so much moisture, and needs to be completely replaced at least every two years, especially if the chassis isn't driven regularly to generate heat that can help evaporate some of the absorbed moisture.

You said "workhorse" told you the brake recall was completed in 2010, but did they say if any of the other recalls had also been completed? If you post ONLY the last 8 digits of the chassis vin number (it begins with "5B4") I can check the warranty records and will let you know.

ALSO, please let me recommend you change the engine oil once per year, regardless of mileage, not every two years as you posted.

Lastly, did the dealer have any record of when / IF the Allison tranny fluid was replaced, and if so, what fluid did they put in?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, MsRV
First read your posts and the information on all the suspention work your had done I was thinking you had a P-32 chassis which was the old Chevrolet chassis that Workhouse bought out when they started in business. All the suspension work would indicate that plus the Chev chassis had problems with their brake system peddle operation.

The Workhorse chassis was a excellent chassis, better than all the Ford's I had and only needed new shocks for the front end suspension to reduce the porpoising going over bridge dip's or dips in the road and my 2003 I added Blistien's all around which Workhorse did for all new chassis's in 2004.

What you need now is give the VIN# to Ed Gray so we know what we are talking about. Should be label on wall next to drivers seat with that information.

If it is a w-22 this link will explain a lot about the Workhorse recall and also has the P-32 Chassis information. This link Workhorse Forum where you should have been moved to..

There are chassis dealers that still work on the WH chassis, some are on our Vendor list's top of forums. DAVE'S RV in CT. is near you a Newmar dealer.

Now for some fun stuff, important link for Newmar owners, Brochure, Owners Guide, all the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
One other link how to get around irv2.
Can't really say right now but enjoy your Newmar and have safe travels soon.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum! As you have already seen, this site is a goldmine of information. If you haven't seen it yet, there is a dedicated Workhorse chassis forum that will give you things to take a minute and look at that may prevent a few minor issues at inopportune times and reduce your stress level during your learning curve.
The good thing about your chassis is that the parts are available almost everywhere.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
MsRV:

First let me say WELCOME to iRV2.com, where you will also find a sub-forum specifically for owners of Workhorse chassis powered motor homes.
Second, please allow me to try to help by telling you the number you posted isn't a WCC chassis model, but probably is the model of your Newmar coach. Most likely your chassis is a W-22, and if so, it was recalled to replace all four calipers. The brake pads were not included in the recall, but many owners opted to have new pads installed when the new calipers were being put on. Generally speaking, unless a previous owner has been "riding the brakes" or doing a LOT of mountain driving, the pads will last longer than 60K miles. However, if you are hearing grinding noises that indicates that you likely have one or more sets of pads that need replacement (and maybe the rotors too). ANY medium duty truck shop should be fully capable of repairing your brakes, and while I know nothing about your RV dealer, I will say that many RV dealers are not experts when it comes to chassis PM and major repairs such as brakes. I will also tell you that leaving a coach parked for months without being driven is arguably the worst thing you can do to your brakes, suspension, and motor/tranny combo. These things are medium duty truck chassis intended to see heavy and almost daily use, and "lack of use" was a significant contributing factor in the investigation that ultimately became the Bosch Brake recall. One of the reasons that is true is because brake fluid (DOT 3) is "designed" to absorb moisture so as to combat rusting of internal parts, but it can only hold so much moisture, and needs to be completely replaced at least every two years, especially if the chassis isn't driven regularly to generate heat that can help evaporate some of the absorbed moisture.

You said "workhorse" told you the brake recall was completed in 2010, but did they say if any of the other recalls had also been completed? If you post ONLY the last 8 digits of the chassis vin number (it begins with "5B4") I can check the warranty records and will let you know.

ALSO, please let me recommend you change the engine oil once per year, regardless of mileage, not every two years as you posted.

Lastly, did the dealer have any record of when / IF the Allison tranny fluid was replaced, and if so, what fluid did they put in?
Thanks so much for your follow up post. I really appreciate it. The VIN #5B4MP67G233360110. Workhorse didn't offer up any other details about other recalls. Were there other recalls for the W-22? Also you mention that the the truck chassis needs regular use. Might I ask - are you suggesting that it be taken out for a 'spin around the block' every so often and if so, for how long? I must admit despite my best efforts to familiarize myself with the systems, this is new information to me and I appreciate it.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4226796]Welcome to the forum, MsRV
First read your posts and the information on all the suspention work your had done I was thinking you had a P-32 chassis which was the old Chevrolet chassis that Workhouse bought out when they started in business. All the suspension work would indicate that plus the Chev chassis had problems with their brake system peddle operation.

The Workhorse chassis was a excellent chassis, better than all the Ford's I had and only needed new shocks for the front end suspension to reduce the porpoising going over bridge dip's or dips in the road and my 2003 I added Blistien's all around which Workhorse did for all new chassis's in 2004.

What you need now is give the VIN# to Ed Gray so we know what we are talking about. Should be label on wall next to drivers seat with that information.

If it is a w-22[B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workhorse-important-discussions-71705.html
this link[/URL][/B] will explain a lot about the Workhorse recall and also has the P-32 Chassis information. This link Workhorse Forum where you should have been moved to..

There are chassis dealers that still work on the WH chassis, some are on our Vendor list's top of forums. DAVE'S RV in CT. is near you a Newmar dealer.

Now for some fun stuff, important link for Newmar owners, Brochure, Owners Guide, all the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
One other link how to get around irv2.
Can't really say right now but enjoy your Newmar and have safe travels soon.
Thanks for your reply. I read this after I replied to Ed. I will take a look at the links you've provided and again, I appreciate the help.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:05 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRV View Post
<snip> Might I ask - are you suggesting that it be taken out for a 'spin around the block' every so often and if so, for how long? I must admit despite my best efforts to familiarize myself with the systems, this is new information to me and I appreciate it.
My personal (!) opinion, and what I do for mine, is take it out at LEAST once a month. And when I take it out I make sure I run it far enough to make sure that everything gets fully up to operating temps.

I also take this time to exercise the generator by running either air conditioners or space heaters (very securely held down) depending on the weather conditions. Since I'm in Florida that is nearly always air conditioners.

Typically I'll make a day trip sort of thing out of this. Take the RV to a town thats about 30 - 45 miles away, and do whatever there is to be done there, then head home.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRV View Post
Thanks so much for your follow up post. I really appreciate it. The VIN #5B4MP67G233360110. Workhorse didn't offer up any other details about other recalls. Were there other recalls for the W-22? Also you mention that the the truck chassis needs regular use. Might I ask - are you suggesting that it be taken out for a 'spin around the block' every so often and if so, for how long? I must admit despite my best efforts to familiarize myself with the systems, this is new information to me and I appreciate it.
MsRV:
That vin # is for a 2003 W-22 chassis with 19.5" wheels, originally sold by Dave's RV in CT. It has 3 recalls, and all three have been completed-none are "open"-which likely explains why they did not mention them.

YES, the best thing you can do for an RV chassis is to exercise it regulatly. DON'T just crank it up and let it idle in the driveway, as this can actually be worse than doing nothing. Instead, take it for a short drive 10-20 miles minimum at least once a month to get all the systems warmed up. Don't be afraid to drive it hard and apply the brakes forcefully when conditions allow.

You should also run the generator for at least 1 hour per month at half load (rooftop AC on), but this can be done in your driveway OR while you're out
on the warm-up drive. These monthly uses should allow the systems to get up to operating temperature and help drive out moisture which is the culprit in a lot of RV problems.

Good luck and enjoy your coach. Newmar built good ones-we had a 2003 Kountry Star on a W-22, and it was almost trouble free for 7 years and 98,000 miles because we USED it- a lot.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, suspension, workhorse