Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Workhorse UFO rides great and is a pleasure to drive. I prefer GM products so when I bought my 1st MH I looked for one on the Workhorse chassis. Most Ford owners are happy with their MH and most Workhorse owners are happy also. Please note I said "most" as someone is sure to not be happy with what they have.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Ford may still make the chassis but they do not seem to support their customers. There is a Fleetwood Pace Arrow on 2000 Ford Chassis just sitting for weeks at a Michigan Dealer because Ford has obsoleted the needed computer parts.
None available and no aftermarket replacements.
Someone at the dealership just doesn't give a #$%$. There are a ton of F250 and up pickup's out there that use the same components as the motorhome. They should be abe to find the part at a salvage yard. At our dealership, we were able to get the parts through Advance Auto parts by looking upthe pickups.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Ford may still make the chassis but they do not seem to support their customers. There is a Fleetwood Pace Arrow on 2000 Ford Chassis just sitting for weeks at a Michigan Dealer because Ford has obsoleted the needed computer parts.
None available and no aftermarket replacements.

Sorry but I call BS on this one. I can get all control parts for Fords back into the 80s without difficulty. May not be new factory OEM but they are serviced. Sensors are all same as those for pickups, so is computer except for proper flash program and plenty of aftermarket support for that. There is nothing on a 2k F53 chassis that cannot be serviced. If the dealer told the owner that, they just want the customer to go away. Bad dealer, not bad chassis.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Problems: Workhorse choose BOSCH brakes, which are very good, but not for motor homes, BOSCH has designed a fix and workhorse is installing it, The proble is the brakes do not release.. If you full time and move every week you may get by without the recall but workhorse is fixing it .. If rig is used make sure the recall has been satisfied.

Engine: Fuel clip. if the part costs a dollar I'd be surprised,,, Again workhorse replaced mine for me no cost.. Funny story, but no cost, I'll skip the story for now. (it is posted in other threads)

There are two other problems with SOME COACHES on a workhorse chassis but though Workhorse is fixing them.. THey are not responsible, the coach maker is (They ahve to do with not allowing enough air flow or improper air flow path)

Ford: Had a problem with shooting spark plugs,,, blew them right out of the head, but I understand they fixed that too.

In short: The questions boils down to are you a Ford man or a Chevy man.

Myself, I prefer Chevy's over Ford and thus am very happy with my Workhorse.

Others,, Prefer Ford and are thus happy with their Fords.

Objectively. six of one half dozen the other.

I do note that Ford is a "High Reving" engine, more revolutions per mile and that the Workhorse with the 8.1L chevy turns slower.. It also turns an Allison transmission.

And though when it comes to engines there is much arguemnt which is better.

ALLISON is the only answer when someone says "Who makes best transmission?"

Allisons rule.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've heard just 1999s are susceptable to blowing plugs, but I've also heard up to 2004s as well. It has to do with the number of threads holding in the plug (just 4), and improper torque or damaging threads after a plug change. They also had the problem with sucking water into the air filter on excessively rainy days. They've been through three factory 'fixes' so far, as well as the lauded 'dryer hose snorkel' (which apparently works for some, and doesn't for others...I'm one of the latter.) . The V10 is an overhead cam engine, designed for higher revs. It only runs at about 2,600 rpm at 60 mph, though. Mine performed flawlessly (other than the water ingestion problem) over 8,600 miles from March through May with 8.65 mpg average pulling a dolly and car. The Ford 4R100 transmission is the weak link in the Ford drivetrain, but the newer 5R101 is much better. I have the 4R100 and it too performed flawlessly, usually running between 155 and 170F depending on terrain and temperature.

Keith
Old 05-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #20

Have a new New34 B Fleetwood Terra premium on a workhorse 22. Drove both in the same Model.I like the Workhorse for Four reasons.

1) I feel the Allison 6 speed transmission is far better than the Ford

2) Also the doghouse on the workhorse is significantly lower than the Ford

3) at 65 mph the workhorse is revving at about 2100 RPMs where the Ford was revving about 2800 RPMs. The workhorse was quieter just cruising but was much quieter when climbing hills

4) the Workhorse has two different OD settings and was equipped with a Engine brake switch (Not and exhaust) which downshifts quicker going down hills

Just my opinions
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What year is your new Terra as I thought the last 8.1 liter engine was produced almost two years ago, and none of the major manufacturers even advertise a WH chassis as available in a gas version for the last year?
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford was catching up to Workhorse's earlier improvements in those years (2004-2005). In 04 I would lean toward Workhorse, but by 05 the Ford was every bit its equal, I think. But the two are so close I would not let one vs the other be a decision factor if I found a coach I really liked.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #23

Thanks for all of the great comments and insight.....after inspecting the 2005 Scottsdale I noticed three problems 1. Since I am 6'4" the door headers in the hall between living areas and bedroom are too low....can they be removed without structural problems? 2. the decorative striping on the sides are slightly frayed on some edges...how do you prevent further deterioration? 3. the 4.5 Onan gen would not restart after I turned it off...less than 300hrs on gen....is this a recurring problems? your additional insight would be beneficial.
Thanks again.
RAYBURNCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #24

Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Ontario View Post
What year is your new Terra as I thought the last 8.1 liter engine was produced almost two years ago, and none of the major manufacturers even advertise a WH chassis as available in a gas version for the last year?
My Terra is titled as a 2010. when I had the brake recall done the workhorse authorized service center said the chassis was actually listed in their records as a 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	10647   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	10648  

tomv is offline   Reply With Quote