Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #1

Workhorse W-22 chassis vs. Ford chassis

Anyone have any thoughts,what's good and bad with each chassis? I'm considering buying a 2007 Bounder 35E gas and are not sure which chassis would be best. Thanks Guys.
Charlie_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i think the gm/allison combo is best
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #3

The workhorse is very nice and was very popular. However, gm does not make the 8.1 liter engine any longer. I think most gas rigs today are Ford. Good luck.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am very happy with my Workhorse.. I'm not a Ford fan at all.

That said, as the other person said, Workhorse is still looking for a replacement for the Gas Engine they used to use... Rumor has it they have found one but not yet into production.

NOTE: Most of the problems I have read about Workhorse rigs.. Has more to do with the body than the chassis (NOT ALL, but MOST)

One of my favcorite sayings though it so say that ___make_ has a problem with____problem__ But ___the other make____ has, other problems.

In sort, neither is perfect.. But both are working on it.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #5

Ford vs GM

We put 52K trouble free miles on our 1995 "460" ford enjoyed it very much ,got an Itasca 33V Sunrise 8.1 workhorse 2005 a little over a year ago have put on 7500 miles since then.Easy to maintain "FUN" to drive I like the Workhorse.The quality is superior on the winnebago.Looking is half the fun good luck.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #6

My previous rig was a Pace Arrow with a Ford V-10, my current rig is an Adventurer Workhorse. As a non-mechanical type RVer I found very little difference. The "dog house" on the Ford was larger and higher, presenting a major problem for my wife, with two knee replacements. That was the major reason for the change...once you start looking for reasons for change you can find lots. They both get/got at best 8mpg, average about 7. They both could travel over the mountains, like the Grapevine I-5 in SoCal, at 55mph towing the toad.
I do believe that Workhorse has discontinued the 8.1 Chevy engine, leaving only Fords in the new models. But that wasn't your question.
The Workhorse seems to have an ongoing issue with the windshield wipers not turning off when wet. We see little rain so it only happened once to me, but has happened often to others. Also there have been a few recalls on the Workhorse...brakes, fuel line, & something else...make sure they were attended too.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have been delighted with my Workhorse. I bought it from a retired Navy Nuclear Sub Engineer who said 'When I was shopping for a coach, I first eliminated all that were not built on the Workhorse chassis, then I started looking at floor plans." He was determined that his coach would be on the Workhorse foundation.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both make good chassis. Had the Ford with the last motorhome but the Workhorse now. I would give Workhorse the advantage with the Allison trans and the not so high rpm 8.1. If you have the chance drive them both and then make the decision for yourself. We all have our own preferences.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
All four of my previous motorhomes were on the Chevy chassis. I liked the coil springs on the front of the chevy. I did not like the slat springs on the front of the Ford. When Ride Rite came out with airbags for the front of the Ford, I felt it made the Ford ride as good as the Chevy. my present motorhome is on a Ford. I bought a Ford this time because I hate the auto park brake on the Chevy. That is the worst Rube Goldburg thing I have ever worked on. And I have worked on a lot of them.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Both make good chassis. Had the Ford with the last motorhome but the Workhorse now. I would give Workhorse the advantage with the Allison trans and the not so high rpm 8.1. If you have the chance drive them both and then make the decision for yourself. We all have our own preferences.

Good advice from Steve N Sal. I drove both and purchased the Workhorse.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a chavy man thru and thru, and currently drive a DP.
My first motorhome was on a Ford v10 F53 chassis.

The workhorse advantage is the allison trans, and a better suspension.
Disadvantage is the autopark parking brake and the whole smoking caliper defective disk brake recall mess.

The F53 is solid like a rock, literally. If you can stand it, you cannot go wrong because the F53 will never let you down or leave you stranded. The V10 is a screamer but it will last forever. The Ford transmissions don't inspire any campfire songs but I've never heard of a failure. Brakes are decent, again functional and never heard of a failure. Suspension? What's that? F53's don't have suspension. They have 4 super stiff leaf springs that will directly transmit each and every road irregularity directly into your brain.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
mechanically the workhorse is superior. Both platforms have their achilles heel... but the Allison trans is a better unit than the torqueshift. Therein lies why its so nice to drive.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
and which company is still making gas chassis?

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
Anyone have any thoughts,what's good and bad with each chassis? I'm considering buying a 2007 Bounder 35E gas and are not sure which chassis would be best. Thanks Guys.
Hey there Charlie_R!

Welcome to iRV2.com!

Please feel free to come back and visit here often. iRV2 features two user groups Ford & Workhorse so you will be able to get support for your chassis choice regardless of your choice.

From the posts that have been offered so far, it looks like there's a clear majority for the Workhorse. The 2007 Workhorse has a 6-Speed Allison Automatic transmission and a Transmission Grade Brake. You will find that these features may just gain your favor toward buying the Workhorse.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, ford, workhorse