Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 04:43 AM   #1

Worried about batteries and old diesel fuel on new 2019

I just picked up a new 2019 Newmar Ventana LE. It has been on the lot for over 12 months in Wisconsin so it has been through almost two winters. Many I have looked at within the dealership on other Wi dealerships routinely had dead or very low batteries, usually the house batteries. Should I worry about the condition of these even if the PDI includes a load test on each battery? Is there anything else I should be weary about, like old diesel fuel or diesel bacteria, when purchasing a unit that has been on the lot for over 12 months?
JOELJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 04:52 AM   #2

Anytime batteries are mistreated that takes a toll on them

If they pass a load test then they certainly will work for a time and that is probably the best you can do

I have had diesel engines since they came out and have never seen bacteria in properly stored vehicles or equipment

Check the water separator and if the generator and engine are operating at 100% then top it off with fresh fuel

As another precaution change the fuel filters although I wouldn't be concerned about that unless there was a specific reason

If it makes you feel better add your favorite biocide and cetane booster, can't hurt nothing but your wallet

Many diesels sit for extended times and care to keep water out of the tanks is the most important thing
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel isn't an issue. Make fresh batteries part of the purchase deal. Changing those batteries is a low expense for the dealer if that's what it take to make a deal.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:20 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOELJ View Post
I just picked up a new 2019 Newmar Ventana LE. It has been on the lot for over 12 months in Wisconsin so it has been through almost two winters. Many I have looked at within the dealership on other Wi dealerships routinely had dead or very low batteries, usually the house batteries. Should I worry about the condition of these even if the PDI includes a load test on each battery? Is there anything else I should be weary about, like old diesel fuel or diesel bacteria, when purchasing a unit that has been on the lot for over 12 months?
I did the same thing. I just bought in October a left over 19. I am having trouble with the coach batteries. They drain down if I leave it stored with the battery cut off turned off. Either there is a draw I an not aware of or the batteries are bad. The dealership said on batteries I have to deal with the manufacturer. I am glad about your post because it reminded me that I need to call Worldwide Batteries of Indiana.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I did the same thing. I just bought in October a left over 19. I am having trouble with the coach batteries. They drain down if I leave it stored with the battery cut off turned off. Either there is a draw I an not aware of or the batteries are bad. The dealership said on batteries I have to deal with the manufacturer. I am glad about your post because it reminded me that I need to call Worldwide Batteries of Indiana.
There are several parasitic draws unless you have a battery disconnect switch
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:36 AM   #6

With Wisconsin winters, nothing should be growing in the fuel.

If the batteries froze, they most likely have warped plates and are shot.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

RV dealer sales lots are notorious for battery abuse. Run them flat, re-charge quickly, then repeat as needed. If I had to bet, I'd bet those batteries have no more than half their useful life left. If you insist, they will probably swap the batteries for a set from another coach and somebody else gets the abused ones.

The diesel I wouldn't worry much about as long as the coach starts and runs ok. If there was a problem, it would likley be obvious. Just change the fuel filters and go.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Anytime batteries are mistreated that takes a toll on them

If they pass a load test then they certainly will work for a time and that is probably the best you can do

I have had diesel engines since they came out and have never seen bacteria in properly stored vehicles or equipment

Check the water separator and if the generator and engine are operating at 100% then top it off with fresh fuel

As another precaution change the fuel filters although I wouldn't be concerned about that unless there was a specific reason

If it makes you feel better add your favorite biocide and cetane booster, can't hurt nothing but your wallet

Many diesels sit for extended times and care to keep water out of the tanks is the most important thing
You must be about 92, the first auto with a diesel engine was sold in 1929.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You must be about 92, the first auto with a diesel engine was sold in 1929.
Well, not quite but sure was around when Chevy and Ford started bringing them out and JD tractors as well Bought one of the first JD4520 sold and it was the first JD with a turbo charger

Made the jump from 549 V8's to diesel as well with the first being a three cylinder so like Farmers Ins, seen a few things but still learning every day

Tried an Olds diesel and that one didn't make it quite 100K before blowing a head gasket

Interesting the same fuel filter used on it way back when is the same as the one on my 10K Onan

I am sure there are a couple other grey beards on here as well
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
With Wisconsin winters, nothing should be growing in the fuel.

If the batteries froze, they most likely have warped plates and are shot.
I agree with this, dead battery's freeze. That would be my concern. Probably best to get new ones in the deal.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"New" 2019 MotorHome

*Your "New" 2019 RV has been on the lot for almost a year. So, everything is new but wait,,,is everything really new?? Most 2019 motorhomes are sitting on chassis that were built in 2018. Items like tires, batteries, engine oil, air filters, etc are actually 2 years old! I have to wonder, has the engine and generator sat for 2 years with the same oil? Will they change oil and filters in a "new" motorhome before you take it off the lot? How about the air cleaner?? (to be changed every 2 years, will they do that?? Just wondering!
Capt Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No one can abuse batteries more than an RV dealership. The only time they give them a charge is when the 12 volt lights stop working.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
*Your "New" 2019 RV has been on the lot for almost a year. So, everything is new but wait,,,is everything really new?? Most 2019 motorhomes are sitting on chassis that were built in 2018. Items like tires, batteries, engine oil, air filters, etc are actually 2 years old! I have to wonder, has the engine and generator sat for 2 years with the same oil? Will they change oil and filters in a "new" motorhome before you take it off the lot? How about the air cleaner?? (to be changed every 2 years, will they do that?? Just wondering!

Probably none of those things will be done unless the buyer insists. And maybe not even then.

Here in Internet Ivory Tower we get to ruminate about all the conceivable things that might be less than ideal and forecast all sorts of gloom and doom, little of which is worth losing sleep over. Batteries yes, but not so much any of the others. Just my opinion...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tires, maybe

If they are three years old, this could be an issue 4 or 5 years from now, depending on their sidewall condition.. i.e. would I buy brand new tires that were three years old?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, diesel, fuel