Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #15

A January blizzard in West Texas forced me off the highway into an oil field. No problem, figured I'd bivouac until it was over. Took the dogs for a hike. The big one never came back. Spent three miserable days and nights looking for him but never found him. Had to go to the hospital two hours away because I'd put a cactus thorn through my shoe and my foot became badly infected. Got a call at midnight from an oil rig worker I'd talked to; Ranger had walked into his camp! Fired up the RV and headed back to get him. At 1:30 AM in heavy fog I barely noticed two young rough necks in the ditch with a totaled car. Got turned around and offered them a ride. Picked up Ranger (yea!) and started the 20 mile drive to their camp. Ended up driving 20 miles on pavement and 22 miles on the pseudo roads plowed through the rock in oil country. Five mph tops. So rough among other things the microwave door flew open and the turntable crashed and broke on the floor. We were lost the whole time because of the fog, rig direction signs being knocked over, and Dewayne and Joe's unfamiliarity with their rig's location. Besides that they both kept falling asleep on me. Finally found the camp at 5:30 AM. Decided to sleep until the sun came up so I at least had a chance to find my way out. Got a knock on the door from the boss at sunrise. "I gotta ask what you are doing here?" Told him about Dewayne and Joe. He said "We don't have a Dewayne or Joe who works here." Quite the night.
twier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #16

I 10 from the West Texas border to San Antonio is the worst road I've ever driven. Rough and bumpy ride the entire length. But Texas did fix it by installing a Rough Road sign every couple of miles.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #17

Without question I-26 between I-95 and Columbia SC.

I apologized to the MH after putting her through it both on the way to Asheville NC and the return.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #18

Worst roads that you have driven on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Without question I-26 between I-95 and Columbia SC.

I apologized to the MH after putting her through it both on the way to Asheville NC and the return.

We took highway 176 (parallel to I-26). It was a beautiful ride.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
2 years ago, I-70 across Indiana! for sure, the worst in my travels!
45 mph on the interstate! or slower! , and I did not know if the Coach was going to survive it!

US 40 is a good alternative

Old 05-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I-65 in Indiana from Louisville to Indianapolis. Potholes at every pavement joint. Couldn't dodge them either. The governor of Indiana should be sentenced to drive it both ways every day until it's fixed!
Just did this stretch today. I65 Indiana has been abysmal for years. Now its either abysmal or under construction. We're stopped for an overnight about 90 miles north of Indy now, it doesn't get any better.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #21

Worst roads that you have driven on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Just did this stretch today. I65 Indiana has been abysmal for years. Now its either abysmal or under construction. We're stopped for an overnight about 90 miles north of Indy now, it doesn't get any better.

US31 would be a good alternative for St Louis to Indy, and US52 to Gary.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #22

Louisiana has worst roads ever in my humble opinion. I-20 through bossier city and Shreveport ... Our front tv fell out !!!! We now always take bypass through.. Tough but much better than I-20
dianneoverstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #23

Well,
I didn't read all the answers but, I'll put in my two cents. For one, if I recall this right, we had a bad experience on I think was, 25 that headed NE out of the Denver area towards OK. It was rougher than some of the off roads we've been on with our Jeeps. The second one was the 50 heading south from Grand Junction CO to Delta CO. That section had/has the most "whoop-de-dos" of any highly traveled, higher speed roadways/high ways that we've ever seen in our travels.

That was a few years ago, for both roads so, maybe they've been improved since then.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #24

I 5 in CA Central Valley, it is beat up.
CA Harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINADR View Post
I 10 from the West Texas border to San Antonio is the worst road I've ever driven. Rough and bumpy ride the entire length. But Texas did fix it by installing a Rough Road sign every couple of miles.
They've resurfaced/reconstucted I-10 in West Texas just recently from I-20 west to the state line. Very, very nice. Picture is TX I-20 westbound near the intersection with TX I-10 on Dec 17, 2015. I-10 was similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151217_144619.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	126370  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #26

Sections of 65 in Indiana are bad...we are going to be taking I10 across Louisiana to Texas here in a couple weeks...sounds like I better be ready for a rough ride
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Sections of 65 in Indiana are bad...we are going to be taking I10 across Louisiana to Texas here in a couple weeks...sounds like I better be ready for a rough ride

Give US90 or US190 a try.
Trucks beat up the interstates.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462666990.044173.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	126371

Old 05-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #28

That gravel road in front of my house. After I win the lotto, it will be paved.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote