Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I'm brand loyal and although ours is a gas chassis the Newmar would win out hands down. Good luck with your choice and hope you enjoy many happy miles down the road on whichever you choose.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #16

Of your listed choices....the Newmar
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #17

We were faced with the same choice and ended up with a new Tiffin Allegro 36LA. Absolutely no regrets and I see no problem fulltiming in this coach. First long trip out was to Adirondack mtns and we drove for 10 hrs the first day. Not noisy, comfortable and met all of our needs.
We looked at older diesel pushers, Fleetwood, Winni, Thor, Georgetown gas models and decided to buy new with full warrantee, new appliances, new modern tv's etc. Ps love the 2 bathrooms
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely you need to look at used higher end over new lower end units. You get a lot more bang for your $$$. A new unit has a pretty big depreciation as soon as it leaves the lot.

As for floor plan, you can make some modifications to make it more livable. But to base your decision totally on floor plan is a mistake if you wind up with a shiny and pretty unit that is not built well. Look below the surface and glitz for a well built unit that will hold together.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all that have weighed in on this so far. I knew there would be a variety of answers and that is what I was looking for.

@TANSTAAFL: Why not Thor? is it the quality, customer service??

@REDBARON: These are all in the same price range, so that is why they made the list. Thanks for the reminder on the recalls, I didn't have that on my list of things to check on, and had to deal with it on our last rig.

@NBARGOLF: Understand about the new vs old issues, but the lure of the warranty is always a nice thing.

@JERICHORICK: Not discounting the Winnie brands at all, there just weren't any at the dealership we were looking at. We had a Winnabago Adventurer for two years and was happy with it.

@LANERD: This is just the short list available at this time, we definitely are keeping our eyes open for anything else.
RobMoe23454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #20

@NBARGOLF: Understand about the new vs old issues, but the lure of the warranty is always a nice thing.
then buy an extended warranty still MUCH less than a new MH. IMHO
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoe23454 View Post
Thanks to all that have weighed in on this so far. I knew there would be a variety of answers and that is what I was looking for. @TANSTAAFL: Why not Thor? is it the quality, customer service?? @REDBARON: These are all in the same price range, so that is why they made the list. Thanks for the reminder on the recalls, I didn't have that on my list of things to check on, and had to deal with it on our last rig. @NBARGOLF: Understand about the new vs old issues, but the lure of the warranty is always a nice thing. @JERICHORICK: Not discounting the Winnie brands at all, there just weren't any at the dealership we were looking at. We had a Winnabago Adventurer for two years and was happy with it. @LANERD: This is just the short list available at this time, we definitely are keeping our eyes open for anything else.
At most people do, I will comment on the brand that I know well. My wife and I have lived full time for going on 7 years now in a Monaco. Mine is ten years old this year and the quality of build and component selection has proved excellent. The Windrsor that you have looked at is a beautiful, well built coach with only 2 known issues.
1. The Windsor was never equipped with a tag axle and some floor plans suffered from a somewhat low carry capacity.
2. The Firestone air leveling system seemed to be a problem in some coaches but some owners never had as issue. The drive train of Cummins ISL/Allison 3000 is superb.

If you are still looking, a Monaco Dynasty of '03-'05 vintage is a wonderful, well built and equipped coach.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoe23454 View Post
Thanks to all that have weighed in on this so far. I knew there would be a variety of answers and that is what I was looking for.

@TANSTAAFL: Why not Thor? is it the quality, customer service??

@REDBARON: These are all in the same price range, so that is why they made the list. Thanks for the reminder on the recalls, I didn't have that on my list of things to check on, and had to deal with it on our last rig.

@JERICHORICK: Not discounting the Winnie brands at all, there just weren't any at the dealership we were looking at. We had a Winnabago Adventurer for two years and was happy with it.

@LANERD: This is just the short list available at this time, we definitely are keeping our eyes open for anything else.
When we were convinced on the floorplan and year that Winnebago offered I started a periodic search on the web. We found this coach with a search of "2011 40U". When this one came up I knew that it was the one DW would love. We drove 1200 miles from the Dallas area to Ft Myers to get it. The only error in the brochure was about the chassis turning radius. This chassis has a 60 deg turn not a 55. With the extra length to the wheelbase over my '05 it definitely makes a difference. But the features are great and DW is definitely a happy camper. The only option this coach is missing that is handy is the electric locks on the basement doors. We are adapting well. I started negotiations at the beginning of this past May and we were in it around the end of that month.

My point is, don't limit yourself to where you live. You can always pay a boat/RV survey agency to look at it before you commit.

Many happy and blessed trails,
Rick