Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would like some input on a new MH

DW and I are in the market for a new rig and have narrowed it down but would like to get other peoples opinions on which model they would buy and why that is. Here is the short list that we have right now.

2014 Forrest River Georgetown XL

2014 Thor Chanllenger

2009 Thor (Damon) Tuscany 4056

2007 Newmar Dutch Star 4320

2005 Monaco Windsor 40DFT

Thanks
Rob
RobMoe23454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

new coach

It looks like you need to decide if you prefer new over used and if you prefer Gasoline or diesel power. Don't be surprised to see the responses follow brand loyalty to the coaches that people currently own. IMHO diesel is better, more power, and stability with the extra weight. Of course I'm going to say Newmar, The Dutch Star is the cream of the crop in it's class.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As the owner of a 2014 Thor Hurricane, I would recommend the Newmar.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar or Monaco
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Robmoe,

I would say that if you afford it...diesel is the way to go. I drive the RV and I am tickled pink with the ride and handling of my Fleetwood DP. We owned many gassers before but I love this big baby. Bottom line, you need to decide your budget and then you need to love the floorplan, but for me...I would never trade my DP for a gasser again...

Just my 2 cents...

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
First priority should be floor plan, then diesel if you can afford its after that, select the best manufacturer, in your case Newmar. Although we purchased new, there's something to be said about a newer used coach that has had all the bugs worked out and amenities added available at a more economical price ( ie, the original owner paid got the depreciation!)

Actually, I correct myself, the first priority should be what the DW wants, then what I said above.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

The Mrs and I went thru that same process about a couple of years ago. Our first MH was purchased based on price alone; we weren't happy so less than a year we knew what we wanted and in particular what we DIDN'T want.

Given the choices you listed, I'm partial to the Dutch Star. Second choice would be the Windsor.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Another vote for the Newmar
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are the prices all in the same range?

Diesel Motorhomes are meant to be driven and used frequently. If the motorhome is going to be sitting the better part of the year, you may find that there is a lot of maintenance to keep up with that you will not have with the gasoline.

If you will be using it a lot, then diesel is, in my opinion, the only way to go.

We put 12k miles per year on our motorhome, and travel the mountain ranges as well as the Florida flat lands. The size of a 43 footer is great, and lets you take all your stuff.

I am not sure if you have this, but here is the link for the Newmar brochure for your year model: http://www.newmarcorp.com/download/file/fid/2408

The older coaches you are looking at will have potential recall issues with the refrigerator, so you want to verify that those have been taken care of. Most either replace with a residential style or put in an amish cooling unit. Either way is a permanent fix. The recall / warranty fix is only a temporary solution, and should be avoided for long term peace of mind.

Good luck with your search, and feel free to post any questions. This forum is a great place to learn.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Why are you avoiding Winnebago/Itasca? The U, QD and E series are great layouts. Yes, Newmar seems to be of better quality. Winnebago products are definitely on par or above with the others.

We love our 40U. No, we don't have ALL the bells and whistles. But it is roomy, comfortable, a DP. 8KW genset with auto start and other features along with a residential refrigerator, a 2800 W inverter and 6 AGM batteries. The basement is great for storage. Drives great and sets up quickly. I won't bore you any longer. Please check out the website for yourself: Winnebago Industries: Products

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you could swing it a 2008 DS would have COMFORT DRIVE.
And if you want to learn how to deal in the purchase of a new MH read the HOOT's links here.
God luck in what ever you decide.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #12

DP is the way to go. We owned 2 gasser and now a DP. It's like night and day. Never buy a new MH, we did once and took a bath on depreciation. Good luck happy trails
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #13

I'm assuming those choices are all about the same price,so a 10 year old Monaco Is the same as a new forest river. I'd say buy the newest DP that's in you budget and get it check out. I had 2 previous gassers before the Rev not even in the same class. It's a fact DP cost more to keep so don't kid yourself and all Dp chassis are not alike and don't think that either just give them a test drive. PLEASE give them a test drive no matter how pretty you wife thinks the inside is you need to ride in comfort.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
If this is your short list (not interested any in others), I would definitely go with the DS. The only other one on your list that's anywhere close to the Newmar quality is the Windsor.

The 4320 has the ISL, tag axle, and bath and a half. I'm sure it also comes with a lot of other things...king size bed, larger generator, residential fridge, stacked w/d, four slides, maybe even a dishwasher...if it doesn't have all these features, it is still a great coach.

Newmar quality is well known throughout the mh environment and I seriously doubt if you could ever go wrong with it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote