Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well Henrick, have you told your "FRIEND" no and is he still a friend?

Do you want Susan and I to go over and "exercise" the rig some weekend or longer?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #128

Yes to friends and family but:
- They must provide their own insurance and provide proof (usually a binder from their agent is free) with coverage at least 250/500/250
- They must have a non-CDL class B (required in our state for vehicles over 26,001 lbs.) No license, take the test, I'll help.
- Must go on 2 overnight trips to understand vehicle operation
- Must sign understanding of what they are responsible for - fluids, tickets, accidents, internal damage, etc. Not responsible for maintenance or major repairs unless caused by neglect or stupidity
- Must pay a per mile fee for periodic maintenance accural (oil changes, tires, etc.), based on actual cost.
- No on the toad or towing, that's an experience thing.
- No smoking or pets (other than mine)
- Must return all tanks full except grey and black water empty
I let friends and family borrow cars (Benz and BMW) on ocassion, its just stuff and if they can't afford it, its nice to see others enjoy something they might not ever afford.
You can't take it with you and personal relationships are more valuable than stuff.
We have an Allegro Bus, not the biggest or best but nice
puddinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #129

Newmar Owners Club
NO,No, and No !
Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Have you loaned money to friends in the past....I have more than once. Same thing.
I don't 'lend' money to family or friends. I 'give' it to them but I don't tell them that. That way if I don't get repaid, I don't get upset and if I do its a nice suprise.

If I can't afford to gift it, I don't.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
I'll go against the majority here.

I would let them borrow mine....provided that if anything....ANYTHING, no matter how minor (toilet plugs up, flat tire, any leaks, stains in carpet/couch/bed etc., scratches, dings, rock chips (you see where I'm going with this ??)) happens, they get the wonderful option of buying me a BRAND NEW 40-foot, 4-slide diesel pusher).

'Nuff said.

And just for the record, I do NOT even let ANYONE use my beater 1/2-ton pickup....
Wow a rock chip gets a 20 year old RV upgraded to a new coach...
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Well Henrick, have you told your "FRIEND" no and is he still a friend?

Do you want Susan and I to go over and "exercise" the rig some weekend or longer?

Ken
Hi Ken

I have refused everybody who have asked. I don't think that everyone have fully understood my reasons because they do not appreciate the size of the vehicle or the complexity of things they would need to operate. I hope that they are all still friends even after my refusal.

Thank you for your kind offer to look after our MH. You are one of the few people I would trust to do that.

General opinion about the necessity of starting up the big diesel engine on a regular basis seems to vary but a lot seems to favor leaving it alone even for extended periods. We therefor set everything up for this - including 100% full tanks with fuel additives. Solar panels are in place and we are hoping that they will maintain the batteries.

Should you at some point pass our rig anyway it would be nice for us if you would have a quick look at the batteries to make sure that they still have water in them. Don't go out of your way for this but if you go to the area at some point plz contact us.

Thanks Ken.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #133

No, I wouldn't. Even to my grown children. I have let close family use it as a guesthouse, after I set it up. It's just too big for folks to get used to in one go. I'm pretty fussy about cleanliness and maintenance also. So probably never.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #134

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinhead View Post
....its just stuff and if they can't afford it, its nice to see others enjoy something they might not ever afford.
You can't take it with you and personal relationships are more valuable than stuff.
Now THATS what I'M talkin bout!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #135

I take the Red Green approach, "If it ain't broke don't loan it."
KaptnKluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinhead View Post
Yes to friends and family but:
- They must provide their own insurance and provide proof (usually a binder from their agent is free) with coverage at least 250/500/250
- They must have a non-CDL class B (required in our state for vehicles over 26,001 lbs.) No license, take the test, I'll help.
- Must go on 2 overnight trips to understand vehicle operation
- Must sign understanding of what they are responsible for - fluids, tickets, accidents, internal damage, etc. Not responsible for maintenance or major repairs unless caused by neglect or stupidity
- Must pay a per mile fee for periodic maintenance accural (oil changes, tires, etc.), based on actual cost.
- No on the toad or towing, that's an experience thing.
- No smoking or pets (other than mine)
- Must return all tanks full except grey and black water empty
I let friends and family borrow cars (Benz and BMW) on ocassion, its just stuff and if they can't afford it, its nice to see others enjoy something they might not ever afford.
We have an Allegro Bus, not the biggest or best but nice
I agree with this poster. I am fortunate that I have the means to buy and afford a decent RV. I do agree that before they get it solo they must accompany me on several overnight trips where I get to be the quest. That means they do most of the driving all of the set up and breakdown to my satisfaction before they get to solo. If you can't trust your family and your good friends friends with your stuff then I believe you have problem. My insurance covers the rig. If they break it they fix or pay my deductable. I get great satisfaction in seeing friends and family returning from a nice trip. Also the first couple of trips I usually ask them to stay within 50 or so miles so if something happens I can easily drive and help them.

It sometimes is better to give than receive.
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #137

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
No, No, Never, Never, No, No. My dad use to say if they have the guts to ask, you need to have the guts to say NO. (Edited for family viewing, but you get the point)
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomv View Post
I agree with this poster. I am fortunate that I have the means to buy and afford a decent RV. I do agree that before they get it solo they must accompany me on several overnight trips where I get to be the quest. That means they do most of the driving all of the set up and breakdown to my satisfaction before they get to solo. If you can't trust your family and your good friends friends with your stuff then I believe you have problem. My insurance covers the rig. If they break it they fix or pay my deductable. I get great satisfaction in seeing friends and family returning from a nice trip. Also the first couple of trips I usually ask them to stay within 50 or so miles so if something happens I can easily drive and help them.

I too am blessed, but the best way to end a family or a friends relationship is to lend them something. You will be criticized for the restraints you have put on them or anything else that the wives or the children can think of. It would be far better to rent one for them so they can enjoy the camping experience completly unencumbered and free of worry or guilt should something go wrong.
I admire your generosity, but it will come back to bite you.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomv View Post

Well said Tom. I think the bottom line on this is that it is VERY difficult to have anyone else who is not already VERY experienced in big rigs safely operate our RVs... whether we want to lend them out or not. It's interesting to see the polarized opinions though.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Well said Tom. I think the bottom line on this is that it is VERY difficult to have anyone else who is not already VERY experienced in big rigs safely operate our RVs... whether we want to lend them out or not. It's interesting to see the polarized opinions though.

Rick
I agree there is a lot to know about operating these rigs. But as my post said anyone who I trust must accompany me and act Like I am not there and do everything on their own to my satisfaction before I let them borrow the rig. I have for my daughter and her family at first gone to a campground and set the rig up and let them alone for several days and then went and picked them up to come home before I let her and her husband go solo. I am still working running a small company and I will never wear my motor home out as I only get to use it on weekends and
when I can get away for longer periods. Every time I have loaned it out to family or close friends it comes back better than it left. Always freshly washed and sometimes waxed. Interior is spotless all fluids are full, Tanks emptied and usually and oil change or some little maintenance item has been done. When I do loan it out it makes me feel good that someone is getting enjoyment out of my investment instead of it just sitting in storage. In addition as far driving these rigs the new rigs which I have are not that difficult to drive. Any one with a credit card and a drivers license can go to U Haul or Penske and rent a rig almost the same size as my rv
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote