Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #183

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Absolutely maybe! When we purchased our Class A a year ago we knew that our daughter & family had to move from Michigan to Seattle. They were shipping their belongings but they needed to get the family there. We offered the MH to them BUT not until they took some training from me. I'm an instructor for Michigan firefighters and teach the apparatus driving course. The size of a fire engine and a Class A can be quite similar and the basic rules apply to the MH. I required my son-in-law to do the cones in the parking lot and then road driving. He was given increasingly difficult driving locations until I felt confident that he had it down pat. I then told my daughter that she also had to do it. She was quite reluctant but I told her that she could very well become a driver and I would not let the MH out until I knew she could handle it. They both conquered the MH with the driving, setup, dumping and all other necessary operations. They made it without a problem to Seattle.

I've offered the MH to my son but he knows he'll need to go through the same training that his sister went through. He isn't sure if he'll ever take me up on this and I'm not pushing. I agree with a previous poster that enjoying ownership is also fun if your immediate family can experience time in it. My family comes well before my possessions. If something happens to the MH I would obviously be upset, but life is too short to worry about these types of things. Now, if any other family members, including the in-laws, neighbors or friends ask to use it they're SOL. I may be a softy with my kids, but I do draw a line with anyone else.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
I suppose that depends on the type of C or A..

I rented a 30" Itasca C on a ford 450 (V-10) chassis and did a 3000 mile loop of the southwest USA..CO, NM, AZ, NV, UT, CO... Underpowered in the mountains, and swayed all over the road with wind and passing vehicles...WHEW! what an adventure..Similar to the C's I looked at when I contemplated buying one

My Alpine A drives like my car...Longer, but well powered, and as stable as anything I have ever driven. Once you learn how to maneuver the length its all good!

I would say my A is "easier" and far less tiring to drive that the C's I have experience with. Thats why I bought one!
I agree my 2010 35 ft Class A is easier to drive than the Class C I previously owned and easier than a new class c that I rented and easier than a 25 ft boat or especially a 27 ft travel trailer I pulled behind my Tahoe.
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #185

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
QUOTE FROM crumgj...........My family comes well before my possessions. If something happens to the MH I would obviously be upset, but life is too short to worry about these types of things. Now, if any other family members, including the in-laws, neighbors or friends ask to use it they're SOL. I may be a softy with my kids, but I do draw a line with anyone else.

Reckon that about says it all..
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #186

Two summers ago our neighbors borrowed a 25' TT from a friend. All ready to go said the friend. Got the thing home and started to prep to head down the road. Water in the tank, pump on, water all over the TT from one end to the other. Improper winterization. Fixed all the plumbing. Retry. Turned on water heater. Oops. Improper winterization. Plumbed around heater decided hot water not necessary. Lowered step to get into TT. Step falls off. Rusted a bit. Fixed step. Two days later headed out camping.

Moral of story: depending on whose going to borrow it, one could get a lot fixed. My neighbor is like that though. I think the free camper cost him something like $500 and days of his time...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #187

Do you lend out your car? I don't! A motorhome is Way more expensive and God forbid something happened You are stuck with all the bills... get a rental that is covered for that.
I hate the word NO but would hate the end results if something happened. (Advice -NEVER loan to a family memeber it is a GIFT cuz they won't pay back well it is worse if you loan car/trailer/motorhome) Good luck
tablerock_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #188

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am another "maybe"

Last Thursday my adult daughter said she and her hubby wanted to borrow the MH for that weekend and go to the local campground. I said I didn't think it would be a good idea. She thought I was unreasonable and is not happy with me. I thought she might show some interest in learning how things worked before borrowing it... not! So, the bottom line is the MH didn't move last weekend.

My adult son, on the other hand, is now relaxing in the MH at another local campground and enjoying the weekend by the water. He had shown considerable interest all along, has been with us twice on short trips, helped re-wire a lot of entertainment system stuff for us and pretty much knows the ropes. So, the MH is being enjoyed by him this weekend.

Go figure