Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Would you lend out your motorhome?

Would you lend out your motorhome to friends for say 2 weeks for their holiday? I am talking about lending it out to friends - not close family like f.x. son or daughter.

Our motorhome sits idle for long periods of time because we are visitors in the US. We are not resident. During the time where we are not using the MH we frequently get asked by fellow Danes if they could use our MH for their next 2 week vacation and so far I have refused.

I don't consider my self to be mean but there are a couple of things that would worry me sick if I were to lend my MH out to friends. Firstly - the majority of them have not driven anything larger than a mid size car before, and a motorhome with a toad is a lot bigger. OK - at some point we started driving a MH ourselves but we had month to learn how to navigate "the beast" around tight corners and if something went wrong it was our property and our expense.

If we were to lend out the MH and something unpleasant hit the fan (you know what I mean) the lender would not know how to fix it or where to turn to have it done. They also wouldn't have the time because they are only there for a couple of weeks so we would turn up having to make arrangements to get things back to working order.

I can come up with a ton of reasons why lending your MH out to unexperienced people is not a good idea, but am I just being overprotective?

Are you ever asked by friends to lend out your "pride and joy" and what is your response?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
No.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
We have let people use it as a guesthouse (it keeps them out of the sticks and bricks ) I am the only one that turns the key!

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had a hard and fast rule to all that ask, NO.....

It's not mean, just that we paid for our MH and don't do it.

For the Few that have asked, we told them that a rental company would be a better for them than risking our friendship if something
were to happen on there trip.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Loan Your MH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Would you lend out your motorhome to friends...
DW and I put the odds at surviving such an experience without catastrophe at roughly 1 in 100.

If those odds are okay with you, go for it
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
No way. A good way to have friends become enemies. Besides let's just say there is an ugly accident. Who pays the deductible. Easy answer is look in the mirror.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #7

Thumbs down

If you lend out your motor home and your friend wrecks it causing injuries etc, the injured could come back to sue you even though you were not the driver. This is because it is in your name.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #8

No, I would not, and here is the reason why. An acquaintance of mine once loaned his to a very good friend of his and the transmission went out about a thousand miles away. His friend felt terrible about it but didn't feel he had done anything to cause the problem. The owner never had any trouble with it and didn't know why it would just fail like that. They agreed that since neither felt responsible they would each pay half the substantial repair bill. In the end their friendship was never the same, still friendly, but not the same. It wouldn't be worth the mental anguish, or losing a friend over, to me.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Henrik,
Short answer no. There are many many reasons beginning with your insurance probably won't cover anything if its someone other than a family member driving. Do you ever "loan" your home to friends when you're in the states?

BTW, if you do decide to loan it there are probably a lot of your Texas Boomers friends that would enjoy using it.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Easy answer...no way!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dane I think you have explained the reasons why I would not in your post.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #13

No Way.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #14

Absolutely not !!!!!!!!
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote