Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
So, if not under inflated, I'd like to figure out the cause. Do you move alot or sit alot? When sitting, are tires in the shade or sun? Do you use any chemicals and, if so, what? Are your other tires dated the same (or very close)? Are they showing any signs like the first one?
blang
IMO the CAUSE of sidewall cracks in Michelin tires is is MICHELIN!

I had to replace a set of six 3 1/2 year old, (per the DOT date), Michelin tires because of the thousands of sidewall cracks.

BTW, both of the 2 previous sets of 6 Goodyear tires on my coach lasted 7+ years each.

Mel
'96 Safari,140k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
So, if not under inflated, I'd like to figure out the cause. Do you move alot or sit alot? When sitting, are tires in the shade or sun? Do you use any chemicals and, if so, what? Are your other tires dated the same (or very close)? Are they showing any signs like the first one?

Ok,
We sit a lot. Full timers doing a lot of volunteer work. Tires are generally covered but not always. Tires sit on rubber matts (stall mats). Our duty stations have usually run 4-6 months.
Do not use any tire dressing (would 303 help?) do not pump the tires up above running pressure while we sit (maybe should).
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #31

I have the same thing going on with my 2010 dated Michelin, left front only so last week I took it down to our Michelin dealer who has been in business for 35 years and sells all kinds of different tire brands. I asked him if the tire was in danger of blowing out and if so I was going to put a new one on, he told me don't worry about it that any tire can blow out and if that one does it wont be because of that minor cracking. He said if it really bothered me to either go ahead and buy a new one or have that one rotated to the rear. I took his word for it and am going to run it like that until my 7 years are up but I will be watching it very closely.

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Let's back up just a little bit...

Are all the tires showing the same degree cracks? If not, perhaps you can stage tire replacement. Start with replacing the 2 worse tires, rotate as needed and then put new ones up front.

Just a thought.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
You guys are all a bunch of wussies.

Below is the "official" Michelin Sidewall Crack Chart.

You be the judge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin Sidewall Crack Chart.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	92147  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
blang
IMO the CAUSE of sidewall cracks in Michelin tires is is MICHELIN!

I had to replace a set of six 3 1/2 year old, (per the DOT date), Michelin tires because of the thousands of sidewall cracks.

BTW, both of the 2 previous sets of 6 Goodyear tires on my coach lasted 7+ years each.

Mel
'96 Safari,140k miles
Well... I have three years on my XZA2 Energy Michelins and they look like the day they were put on. Granted, I could wash them a little more often but that's all I do... car wash soap and a brush. So... don't know what yours are doing but I wouldn't run anything other than Michelins.

And, I might add... when I bought this rig about three years ago, the 4 in the back still had original Michelins. They, too, looked great but I changed them due to dates.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #35

Tire dealer says cosmetic is exactly why you run from the dealer, run from Michelin, run to a different dealer, and run on a different brand...soon.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Direct from Michelin
Quote:
"If the cracks are less than 1/32" deep the tire is fine to run. Between 1/32" and 2/32" the tire is suspect and should be examined by your Michelin dealer. If the cracks are any deeper than 2/32" (1/16") the tire should be replaced immediately"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
I took his word for it and am going to run it like that until my 7 years are up but I will be watching it very closely.
What 7 years? There is no such thing from ANY of the tire manufacturers it's an Internet myth.
Any tire is more susceptible to troubles as it ages but there is no set rule about when tires should be or need to be replaced EXCEPT the most say definitely at 10 years
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
What 7 years? There is no such thing from ANY of the tire manufacturers it's an Internet myth.
Any tire is more susceptible to troubles as it ages but there is no set rule about when tires should be or need to be replaced EXCEPT the most say definitely at 10 years
You are correct MrD I got that wrong, he said to bring it back at 7 years and they would see if the cracking was worse, if so they would take some pictures and send them to Michelin.

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Change it now... Not worth risking your motorhome, your life, or someone else life on the road.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #40

There you go OP.
Lots of "OMG, change them now or crash and burn" and plenty of suggestions to keep them based on reason and common sense and what the manufacturer states.

That Michelin sidewall crack photo was interesting though.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
There you go OP.
Lots of "OMG, change them now or crash and burn" and plenty of suggestions to keep them based on reason and common sense and what the manufacturer states.
That Michelin sidewall crack photo was interesting though.
It really does not matter if only a small % of Michelin tires crack prematurely... (OR what excuses Michelin uses... OR what Michelin's photos show)...when you spend your $$ on a set of tires that crack in only 3 years you have cracked tires!

I am fortunate because Michelin Customer Care arranged for the replacement of my 6 sidewall cracked tires at 3 1/2 years of age....but I will NEVER buy Michelin tires again.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
It really does not matter if only a small % of Michelin tires crack prematurely... (OR what excuses Michelin uses... OR what Michelin's photos show)...when you spend your $$ on a set of tires that crack in only 3 years you have cracked tires!

I am fortunate because Michelin Customer Care arranged for the replacement of my 6 sidewall cracked tires at 3 1/2 years of age....but I will NEVER buy Michelin tires again.

Mel
'96 Safari
May I ask how long those Michelin Customer Care replacements have been on and how they look now?
blang is offline   Reply With Quote