Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #1

Wrap?

I have a 25 year old Monaco that needs new paint. Quotes so far have been in excess of $25k. Certainly a large sum for a ‘senior’ coach. However I have seen several companies in Florida that are offering a vinyl wrap process that offers complete coach wraps for less than $12k and suggest their product holds up well for over 5 years.
This process seems like a viable alternative to paint and clear coat and would conceal body imperfections like scratches and shrinkage.
Do any RV owners have any experience or opinions on this process?
PMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #2

My son does some of that on boats and cars. I'll run that by him today to see what he thinks of the idea.

We have a Monaco also that needs some paint. I plan to do it myself and have my son help me. I've painted several cars and trucks, and a school bus, in the past, but now I have a balance problem and I'm not sure how I'll deal with that while trying to paint.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #3

I had a vinyl wrap on my business van. It can last 5 years "if" you take care of it. If it's always outside, not in the garage or covered, then it won't last that long.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
See if you can get some company to plaster their name and or product all over your coach for mobile advertising.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #5

I just researched wrapping my Jeep rock crawler. I rolled it over backwards on a wet waterfall and it needs to be repainted. I'm going to wrap it instead. It's easier to cut out a damaged section and replace with new. A wrap will be fine for me, because the Jeep is in a garage till I run the trails and will have minimal exposure to the sun and elements. Depending on your location and duration of sun exposure, you might only get 2-3 years. If garaged six months it could go for 6-7 years. The other issue is what will the value be in 4-5 years if you decide to sell. A $12,000 wrap now might be in bad shape then, whereas a $25,000 paint job now would add $12-15,000 at sale time.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
See if you can get some company to plaster their name and or product all over your coach for mobile advertising.

There is a problem doing this. The vehicle then becomes a commercial vehicle and must be licensed and insured as such, and the driver is required to have a commercial drivers license and maintain a drivers log. Also it must stop at all commercial vehicle weigh / inspection stations.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
There is a problem doing this. The vehicle then becomes a commercial vehicle and must be licensed and insured as such, and the driver is required to have a commercial drivers license and maintain a drivers log. Also it must stop at all commercial vehicle weigh / inspection stations.
Can't speak for where you live, but not in California. As long as the wrap is purely esthetic in nature and does not represent a for profit business, you can do ot all day long.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #8

Wrap is not as Glossy/shiny as paint, It is Not a durable as paint in my experience. Remember you are going to have seams with a large wrap like doing wall paper. You must be very careful when cleaning etc on these seams.
Much less expensive to replace a damaged section yes.
Wrap is the winner for race vehicles, advertising etc. Not on a MH in my opinion.

If you are getting paint quotes ask specifically what hardware/trim etc they are removing. If you mask around the mirrors awning mounts and windows the clear with have an exposed edge and will flake back and peel over time. I have seen this many times estimating damaged autos for a living for about 7 years.
My coach's front cap was repainted before I purchased it. It was masked around the windshield trim, mirrors etc. It is all peeling from the edges.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #9

Had our 2005 bounded wrapped hence the name, used 3m product. I removed everything i could ladder,door handle, decals ,marker lights,etc. They sealed all edges. We then picked out 2 different colors for swirls. Very satisfied with results. I called 3m for cleaning advice and Areo Wash n Wax All waterless cleaner,no petroleum products in it. Make sure surface is smooth any imperfections will show. Keep extra material for repairs. Traded it in on new motorhome after 4 years still looked good dealer thought it was paint.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PMad have you thought about having it painted in Mexico?

Several people on here have gone there to have their RV's painted.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
Wrap is not as Glossy/shiny as paint
Not true if you get the right stuff.

If you want to go the wrap way...

I've been in the graphics business the last 32 years. There are many types of graphic materials these days and they have come a long way. Some OK, some good, some excellent. Get an excellent UV resistant material to start with. "Research". Costly, but starting with the best is worth it.

Then, have the MH wrapped. Go with a reputable company for install. Afterwards, put two coats of RejeX over entire MH and that will block 100% of the destructive UV and super extend the life of the wrap. Do this once/year.

Look it up.

PS: For me...I would rather do a complete paint job if I'd be doing the whole MH. Even though I have done some spot touch ups on our coach graphics using the above process.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:14 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
I think the life of a wrap, as mentioned, has a lot to do with where it is used/stored.

My son has had three or four wrapped business vans. He currently has two of them. They are all professionally done with quality materials. The vans stay outside 100% and in the Florida sun. In that environment none have lasted more than five years and have usually showed cracking and checking starting at year four. I realize this is the harshest use, with little washing and always in the sun.

I have gelcoat issues starting on my RV from the Florida sun, and have been going through the same thought process. Not sure which way to go at the moment.

Judge from your use storage and cleaning.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I wonder if it would be cost effective to wrap only the front cap every few years, after rock/debris damage accumulates.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I bet you could get it painted in Rocky Point, Mexico for less than a wrap. I had Chey at Playa Bonita do some work down there and it was very good. Lots of people have used him over the years that I have heard of. He was doing a couple full paint jobs when I was there too. They looked great. One was an older Prevost. I had the front, back, top rails, and some spot nicks and dings painted. He also did some small fiberglass touch up on my 06 Beaver for $1300. I would be very surprised if it didn't look good after five years but I sold it.

From Michigan you would have a nice trip to the SW just south of Tuscan a few hours, on the beach of the Sea of Cortez too. The fresh shrimp there is absolutely awesome, delivered to the camp ground everyday!

Check out this thread from awhile back. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QQUezZJjXlWKJD

Steve