Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

Wrapping or painting Motorhome

I want to here opinions on wrapping versus painting. I've had two estimates on painting. Both were around 28,000. To much for me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy MM View Post
I want to here opinions on wrapping versus painting. I've had two estimates on painting. Both were around 28,000. To much for me.

Holly smokes 28K for a paint job tell me your rig is a double decker flexibus! I cannot wrap my mind around a 28K quote for a paintjob of reasonable paint scheme. Now if you want murals all over it perhaps!

Hey maybe find a graffiti artist in town and ask for a quote, make your bus look like a zebra, lion, whale, dolphin or a bison or some such.

There are a couple of threads on pulling off the clear protection layer off the front of the Rig, and how much work that was etc, you can get a sense of how long a wrap will last. I do believe it would be between 2 to 5 years depending on exposure etc if I recall correctly.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've seen some really nice wraps but I have been told the better materials will only last about 7 years. If you store your coach inside maybe longer because its the UV that is tough on them.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mexico, get a wrap replaced every 7 years or less or learn to paint yourself.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I got an online ballpark quote to wrap our 38' MH in the same scheme as the original paint.

I was thinking it would be easier to care for since ladders are ending their tolerance for me.

It was @$10,000.

I store outside in the California Central Valley extreme heat, so UV damage would be a concern.

However, the $1,500 annual cost of the 7 year wrap would be cheaper than the cost of indoor storage here.

Perhaps the short life of a wrap is only justified by the advertising revenue it can generate?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #6

Paint is more or less permanent if properly cared for, wraps are not. I have a friend that has a semi trailer that was wrapped I believe in 2009 and now has quarter inch cracks in the wrap. Your coach your money but for me the paint is a no brainer but I also wouldn't pay $28,000 for paint job, it would probably stay like it is.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:38 PM   #7

Why paint? Is the old paint have an issue or just want a change of color?
Don't forget, if the paint is flaking / peeling...putting a wrap ontop of a bad foundation isn't ideal.

$28K is a premium paint price.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

A good pro shop I'm familiar with (they've done RV body work for me) gets upwards of $18k for a 3-color paint job without any bodywork involved. A rig in poor condition would be much more. I haven't talked with them lately - maybe its more now? In any case, it's Big Bucks. A buddy of mine got his 36 footer wrapped for US$8k in Canada several years ago, but US shops were quoting $10k at the time. Still big bucks, but much less than painting. The wrap looked fabulous and still looked great when he sold the rig 5 years later.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #9

Friend had his 40' Fleetwood with no slides wrapped in central Ohio about two years ago; think he said it was about $8K. Looks great!
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, paint