Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #57

Wow, Missouri state parks are a real bargain !!
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #58

I guess in Wyoming I would disconnect the car Prior to registration get the campsite then have the dw bring the car in buying just a vehicle pass
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #59

As I said, Colorado has a towed vehicle pass. This is a cut and paste from the state park website.

The towed vehicle pass is intended for a vehicle that is towed in by a motor home. The motor home is required to have a paid pass and the towed vehicle pass is issued at no charge to a vehicle towed or carried in by a motor home. To receive the towed vehicle pass, a camping permit or proof of a camping reservation must be presented at an attended visitor center, office, or entrance station. The towed vehicle pass is placed on the vehicle being towed and the tow vehicle must be under tow at the time of entry. The towed vehicle pass is valid for the same time period as the camping permit/reservation.

There is a camping fee and a day use fee that is seperate.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #60
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In NY a few weeks ago you just took the window pass from the MH and put it in the toad when you used it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Several years ago, the state of CO began to charge a day pass for the towed vehicle. This was per their website, and correspondence with the lady that responds to their emails. Evidently they received major pushback, because it didn't last but a short while before they reverted back to not charging the daily fee again. To rephrase that, the information on their website changed back to what it was to begin with. I don't really know if they actually initiated their proposed change in the parks or aborted it before that.

I do understand the economics of running these state parks, and hope they can all be self sustaining. However, if they get too many people mad at them for what is considered to be unfair, or unusual, fees they may actually lose a lot of business they would get otherwise. I spent some time in CO that year, and had intended to use the state park CG's for part of the stay. I changed my plans due to their policy change, not because I couldn't afford it, but because I disagreed with their decision in principle. It almost seemed that they were trying to discourage anybody with a tow vehicle from using their facility. That worked for me.

If they must have more income to remain viable, then they should raise their camping fees instead of playing fee scrabble...!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
First off, $34 a night seems rather reasonable to me. We've stayed in places that were 3 X that and some of them were no more that parking lots with pedestals.

The irony of pulling in with a $300K rig and complaining about a $34 a night rate is just too much for me.

I would rather pay $34 a night than have the parks closed due to budgetary constraints.

Muddypaws, You totally miss the point!
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Wow, Missouri state parks are a real bargain !!
I would agree. We stayed in one of the nicest state parks for under $20 a few weeks back. Well kept, very large private sites with water and electric. No out of state fees.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am of the opinion that people that use the parks (city, county, state or national) should pay for the upkeep and maintenance of those parks. Non users should not have to pay a dime for them. If any agency feels that their park operational expense requires them to charge X dollars per unit then so be it, if you don't like it move on. Local taxpayers should not have to support your camping experience.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
I am of the opinion that people that use the parks (city, county, state or national) should pay for the upkeep and maintenance of those parks. Non users should not have to pay a dime for them. If any agency feels that their park operational expense requires them to charge X dollars per unit then so be it, if you don't like it move on. Local taxpayers should not have to support your camping experience.
Fortunately that is not the case. We're not able to pick, choose and only pay for the functions that we want to. I don't have kids- I don't want to support schools. I don't like the military- I don't want to support military spending. That's a short sighted point of view that isn't healthy for the long term prosperity of a nation.

If not for public recreational areas many people would never be able to enjoy natural settings. Along with preserving open spaces they are safeguarding wild and open areas for the future.

In AZ State Parks you're issued a permit for your RV together with one for your towed vehicle for the cost of the campsite. Sites with water and 50 A electric are typically $ 27
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #66

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post

Fortunately that is not the case. We're not able to pick, choose and only pay for the functions that we want to. I don't have kids- I don't want to support schools. I don't like the military- I don't want to support military spending. That's a short sighted point of view that isn't healthy for the long term prosperity of a nation.

If not for public recreational areas many people would never be able to enjoy natural settings. Along with preserving open spaces they are safeguarding wild and open areas for the future.

In AZ State Parks you're issued a permit for your RV together with one for your towed vehicle for the cost of the campsite. Sites with water and 50 A electric are typically $ 27
I agree with Topflite51. The military and schools benefit everyone. State parks don't. I love state parks but don't think they should be supported with tax dollars. Extra taxes on minimum wage earners that barely can afford gas to get to work and groceries just isn't fair.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #67
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somehow I get the feeling the local economy is impacted by the influx of people/money to the area otherwise they would not have the camping areas in the first place.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post

Not talking about education or defense of the nation, those are must haves, recreation is not a must have, especially recreation one has in their rv. If you want a natural setting in a park use a tent not a MH. I have seen a lot of natural flora and fauna wiped out so people could park their rvs and enjoy them. Sounds like AZ has it right, you pay for the site and usage, it is not a free lunch. Some on here want a free lunch or almost free anyway, I'm saying if you use it pay for it. The managing entity has determined it cost X dollars to maintain a facility and since you are using it then you pay for it. It is a unnecessary burden for taxpayers to support your camping experience.

We were in a county park this summer where there was an extra daily $3 charge for sites with electricity (there was a sign saying just that). You should have heard the guy in front of me complain about that, he felt it should be free. The park host then offered him a site without electricity, which made the individual even madder. Finally, the park host told him to leave the facility or he would have to call for a sheriff (this is a shortened description of what happened, it was unbelievable). The total daily charge including electricity, water and sewer and garbage collection was $17.00. Unfortunately it didn't have wifi or cable.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Somehow I get the feeling the local economy is impacted by the influx of people/money to the area otherwise they would not have the camping areas in the first place.
Have heard this premise before, but most city, county and even state parks were built for the locals usage in mind. Back in the days when most of these parks were established people did not travel very far to recreate. They certainly did not travel thousands of miles driving their rv's or towing them as we do now. Most campgrounds had pit toilets, showers never. Electricity - unheard of.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #70

To pldhippie53. I'm a stroke survivor caused by the bad drug advandia. I wad born in nob.'53 so Im only 59. To escape this nursing detention camp I'm stuck in I'm using my inheritance from my mmom to buy snd outfit a '99 GB pursuit. It's 29ft long but since it's just for me that's okay. I get 2044. from SSI disability but paying $34.every night would put a big crimp in my plans and disposal income.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a