Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
yellowstone/rushmore no toad

My DW is really being stubborn about getting a toad and we are going to be hitting the Grand Titons, Yellowstone and Deadwood City. My questions is have any of you know is there is ample parking for an RV at these various attractions?
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Rushmore and Yellowstone are easy parking, Deadwood City is a pretty small town with lots of hills around. I've not looked for RV parking there, but I have stayed at a campground there in a tent years ago. Rushmore charges a premium for parking, last September I stopped with a car, $11 parking, (but it's good for a whole year!)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The national parks have plenty of parking for RVs, but limited campground space. Overnight parking, or dry camping, is prohibited. A lot will depend on the size of your rig as to how easy it will be for you to access the sights. I did Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone last May without a toad in a 24' Class C. No problem. It was quite a drive to private campgrounds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #4

What is your DW's objection to a toad? You don't say what size your coach is. We took our first trip (3,000 miles) without a toad, just bikes. We didn't like it a bit! As soon as we got home we changed vehicles and got a Honda CRV. Really glad we did!
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I see by your profile that you have a 30' MH. You should be able to do most things . I think most here would agree that a toad is the way to go , however we need to keep our DW's happy. For future reference , a tow set up will run you about $2000 ( base plate , tow bar , wiring and supp. brake )new and my mileage really doesn't change when I'm towing , so it's basically the cost of the set up. Hope you enjoy your trip. I'll be right behind you come May.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Clifftall said you will be able to get around pretty good with a 30' motorhome but I would suspect you may like seeing these attractions better in a smaller vehicle for ease of getting around. If you don't want to tow one out you can always rent a vehicle for a few days in differect areas that you visit. I know we did this before we hooked up with our toad.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
unless you like driving your mh all over the place a toad is the way to go or maybe a motorcycle or scooters. You will save a lot in fuel cost and hassle of trying to drive into parking lots and find you can't fit. In the last 12 months I've spent $1140 on fuel for the toad a W.A.G. of average of $3.55/ gal gas x 22 mpg = 7065 miles 7000 miles in my MH would equal about 930 miles. Gives you some perspective good luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #8

We stayed at the Mt Rushmore KOA which is the nicest one we have ever seen. They have rental cars there which we used. The car gave us access to the roads that went through the parks that RV's couldn't pass through.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We have been to YNP and the Black Hills many times. I hate to see MH's without toads. It's bad enough to see tour busses taking-up parking spaces. While there is nothing wrong with the practice, I consider it a big inconvience for the rest of the visitors.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I can't imagine a visit to Yellowstone without driving the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Hwys. They are both majestic. Same for a visit to Mt. Rushmore without driving Needles and Iron Mountain hwys(with the tunnel views of Mt. Rushmore)...very cool! These roads are best served up in a toad...class 'A's will NOT fit in the tunnels of the Needles and Iron Mountain,..some Cs have tried, we saw one that failed. Bob

Edit: We enjoyed Needles and Iron Mtn. so much we drove both of them in both directions.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
bjo

we went to Mt.rushmore last yr, we stayed at a campsite can't remember the name and we toad and like most said here it's best with a toad I wouldnt wont to drive our MH around all those places and in deadwood dont no were you would park,there's good walking around Dwood. we had a bit of trouble finding a parking place with our Jeep cherkee we bought it just for toaing and it did wounderful. I have a question for any one here I see a lot of post that say "my DW is sososo.." now I think I no what that means but would you please refresh my mind since I'm getting so old LOL....any who "JAB" have a great trip.
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #12

WE did most of that trip last year and thank God we had the toad. I have a 32 ft gasser class A and was thankful I did not have to break camp every morning. Some of the scenic roads inside Yellowstone and the Tetons are not possible in any MH. The roads are normally in good to fair shape but I would hate to put my MH through a daily grind of pot holes and bumps if I did not have to. You will not be able to stop at some of the scenic sites because even in June they filled up with cars and parking for a MH was just not possible. I also strongly suggest you include the Beartooth and the Chief Joseph Scenic highways in your trip. Cody was also a great 3 day trip but I stayed a week.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are going to yellowstone and Tetons this summer. No toad. Renting a car in west Yellowstone. They deliver it to the campground. There are some big passes from Oregon to Wyoming and I decided to not put the extra pressure on my rig in August heat.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We toured the Tetons and Yellowstone a few years ago in our 34' Motor home towing a Honda Accord on a dolly. It worked out great and was the best trip we've ever taken.

The key to getting a camp spot in the Park is to check in early. After about 6PM they fill up. Then use your car for short excursions.

The ranger talks every evening were fantastic. We also did the trail ride/cookout up in the nothern section. If you see several cars pulled over, make sure you stop. They were watching a large Grizzley eating a downed Elk. Looked like Wild Kingdom live. We hope to do it again one of these days.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad