Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #15

Been there, done that, or similar
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 07:02 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Know how ya feel. On our first trip with our new MH I turned too sharp out of a gas station & the rear struck one of the posts about where yours did. $300 later, all is well.

Still beating up on myself, but haven't pulled a duh moment since, knock on wood!
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Sounds like the OP problems started Because of not having coffee. Always have a backup coffee plan.

John
2015 Newmar Mountain Aire 4503
2013 Jeep Wrangler Moab Edition
Josh2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2129 View Post
Sounds like the OP problems started Because of not having coffee. Always have a backup coffee plan.

John
2015 Newmar Mountain Aire 4503
2013 Jeep Wrangler Moab Edition
I guess I can blame the DW - her job is to stock all the groceries
I wonder if I should tell her?

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
I guess I can blame the DW - her job is to stock all the groceries
I wonder if I should tell her?

Chris
I wouldn't say a word to the wife if you want to sleep in the big bed.Remember she's always rite . PS> a happy wife is a happy life
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Something to be said about routine and following procedures. Many times it does not take much to distract us from doing the correct things. Takes a very strong person to always function with distractions.

The damage to the coach looks like some fiberglass from Home Depot and a bit of work and paint will make the cost less punitive.

Check out the thread "Total Rebuild". There is a video link to working with fiberglass.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I should have known that towing anything or driving anything larger than a car was not in my best interest. My very first towable was a 28' three horse trailer, purchased new, along with two horses all to make DW happy. First trip, turn to the right out of our driveway ( live in the country,) and misjudge the turn. Dropped the right rear tires off the culvert and demolished the fender in front of tires. Im mad and wife in tears. Continue to highway. 30 minutes later 18 wheeler pulls sling side (opposite side) and boom blows a tire which explodes into the side of the horse trailer, damaging paint, fiberglass etc. beyond mad, wife is now in puddle in floor. Get to destination and walk around to right rear to assess first damage only to hear hissing noise from tire. Seems I had just run over a large drill chuck which was sticking in the tire. No riding horses must have tire fixed. Come back three hours later to find wife has downed a bottle of wine. At least she went to sleep for the afternoon!!!

We laugh about that now but we sold the horses and the trailer within a year But We went on to have a 5th wheel and now on a 43 tag DP. We are avid check list users and I finally learned to make right hand turns lol!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep -

I was showing off our autolevel on our new 5er in our campsite back in the day - all the brother-in-laws behind me as I hit "AUTO" and said "watch this!"....they watched as the front frame lowered on top of our two new coolers and smashed them flat!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #23

We own a 35 foot 5er and tow with Ram 3500 DRW long bed. First stop on our 3 week vacation, Backing into a tight driveway, I failed to notice a telephone pole slowly approaching the driver door. Managed to put a nice wrinkle in the door. I need more practice backing in on my blind side.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can't miss what you can't see. I've thought about adding my old Milenco towing mirrors to the GMC towing mirrors on my truck to get a little more visibility when backing into tight spots.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #25

Been there done that! Thanks for bringing my bad times back into my conciousness. I feel like going to bed now.

But wait, I also remember those bad days faded when I made other mistakes. Yeah, I'll feel better as soon as I screw up again!

Sorry for your bad luck brother.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Update

Got a quote yesterday for the repairs $1583 (includes 13% tax) - with a $1000 insurance deductible I guess I'll be paying this myself. DW not happy.

Most of the work involves the painting etc - about six hours labour at $98 per hour just for painting/sanding etc. The shop has a good rep so I figure I'll have it done.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am also now in the goof-up club. At least it took me almost a year and a half after buying the RV.

Back in June, I was backing my MH into a campsite and I could not see a short pole from my passenger side mirror. I brushed into it and crunched the passenger side rear marker light.

As soon as I settled in, I called a big Winnebago dealer in Forest City, Iowa and ordered a replacement light. It arrived in the mail a day after I got home. It was under $5.00. The labor to put it in was $40.00. I was lucky that I caused no damage to the fiberglass.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #28

Well, we have all had our moments. Some just a little more expensive than others. We have a routine and outside of an emergency stick to it on set-up/take down and the toad. When we get at a campsite, I always park, get out and survey where I want to park and instruct the wife to spot me to where I want to be paying attention to any obstacles. She stays in my line of sight in front or by mirror down either side.

When leaving a campsite. I always do as the last thing a walk around of the entire rv and toad. Look up, look down, look under, look at the toad hookup and look at any nearby obstacles.

Come up with a routine and stick to it. My only advise.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote