Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I guess everyone has an oops moment at some point. I think its a deal where there are two groups of RVers. Those who have had an oops moment and those that will have an oops moment. Mine was when the tail swing got me. I didn't even think about the large brick Kroger sign right next to the curb where I was sitting waiting on a pump. When the pump cleared, I made a sharp turn into the pump and the corner of the rear cap caught the brick. Gouged up the corner of the rear cap pretty good. Lesson learned!
jt
Actually I would amend the above to say that there are THREE types of RVers:

1. Those who have had an oops moment and admit it
  2. Those who have had an oops moment and refuse to admit it
  3. and those who have never owned RV's . . . .

JMHO!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #30

One other point, I only take ground guide instructions from my wife. No one else but her and I have a vested financial interest in our coach!

No offense to bystanders trying to be helpful, but I don't know you.

In the past I often listened to "helpful" bystanders, but one guy was apparently of the "back up until it sounds expensive school"! That was a utility trailer, but I learned my lesson.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Come up with a routine and stick to it. My only advise.
Darn! I was enjoying this thread and learning a lot as a newbie. I am afraid your decision to critique instead of share an oops moment, or not to remain silent if you don't have one yet, may dampened the willingness of others to share their oops moments. The OP requested no lectures but hey its a free board and people can choose to be supportive or not. I can't tell you how many times in my first four months of ownership I have avoided opps moments simply by luck and I know it will happen just don't know when.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been there done that!

Oops #1: Early in my "RVing" life, got down to the Colorado River late at night, and started setting up camp. I decided to open the awning that night so I wouldn't have to do it while hot in the morning. That would also help keep the heat of the rising sun off the side of the MH (and actually I still tend to do that, but NOT the next part!). After opening the awing, I decided to move the motorhome "just a bit" forward to better line up with my brother. No need to bring the awing in as I was only moving about 6 ft. Unfortunately, at 5 feet the end of the awning hit the back of my brother's RV, punching a hole in his RV. I slammed on the brakes but listened in horror as I heard a loud bang, followed by many loud crashes as all 4 mounting points of my awing broke off and the entire awning collapsed to the ground! Now I don't move with the awning out, EVEN 1 foot!

Oops #2: About 20 years ago, same RV. Pulled into a campsite late at night. Decided to move a bit to the left to give more camp space on the right side. So I backed up a bit then turned left and pulled forward. Unfortunately there was a section of telephone pole buried in the ground sticking up about 2' (site marker) that was not quite visible from my drivers seat. I caught it just behind the drivers door with the house section of the Class C that widens out just after the cab. Sickening sound of fiberglass cracking and splintering.

Yup, lessons learned, some cheap, some expensive. All fun & games in the life of an RVer!
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote