Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #71

I had no idea just how good my life is! I don't have an in-law putting dibbs on a motorhome that is being built, and with a "dog" as well. And a strained relationship to boot. Oh man I feel for ya! Not enough to trade places though!
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I had no idea just how good my life is! I don't have an in-law putting dibbs on a motorhome that is being built, and with a "dog" as well. And a strained relationship to boot. Oh man I feel for ya! Not enough to trade places though!
Could be worse . That poor guy.
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged View Post
This one kind of hits close to (motor)home. Bear in mind I don't even have my RV yet, it's being built. We live in North Carolina. My mother-in-law lives in Canada. She has made noises about wanting to snowbird near us over the winter but has always backed out because it's "too expensive" to live in a place she would think about staying (e.g. fancy, with a lake view, etc) even though we've offered to cover most of it. Bygones. (As an important side note, it is a strained relationship between DW and MIL.)

As we've documented our new plans on social media she's seemed inordinately excited about it. You know where this is going. We finally got down to brass tacks when, during a recent phone conversation, she said "it looks like you've figured out a way for me to visit over the winter!"

She thought we were parking it in our driveway, so she'd be right there. Ignoring the fact that it's literally impossible, we're storing it in a covered storage lot. Well then, we can instead put it at a nice RV resort. Probably on a lake, of course. That way it can sit outside all winter. Oh, and of course she'll be bringing her dog with her! Can't leave the sweetie at home. You know, the one that pisses all over the place in her house and scratches through the door and barks constantly when she's not there.

It may make me a bad person -- it's only money, right? -- but I can't do it. I don't think it'd be very pleasant after 4 months of full-time use with a dog. I'd consider it without the dog. And, admittedly, I'm considering it with the dog because I'm not a complete turd. But boy is this not what I had in mind :(.
Can you say lose - lose situation... man, my heart goes out to you..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Dont let guilt overcome common sense.

Let our son and grand daughters live in our house over a winter. Mom was mortified when we returned home to find camping gear on her white leather couches and an old oxygen bottle laying on the white carpet in the living room!! This was even though he knew we were returning. Needless to say the next time he suggested that he would house sit we declined. We still wonder what was going on when we were away - but we dont ask because he will tell us.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
I know it will happen sooner or later that somebody asks the dreaded question.......
I'm just gonna send them a link to this thread!!!
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #76

Thumbs up Don't ask, just go rent one.

We keep our Motor Home in tip top shape, and packed and ready to go in 2 days, we turn on the fridge 2 days before a trip and make all the system checks and are ready to roll. To let someone borrow it, just would not work, no matter how well they took care of it, it would not be like YOU take care of it.
They can rent a motor home, I would even pay for the rental before I would let them borrow mine if it were a good friend or family member that I would want to help.
Sure I could hit the road in a minute , but the wife still works part time and we plan our adventures around her schedule and it works for our lifestyle. When she decides work is not fun any more and she catches up to me in age ( Ha Ha ) we will be on the road 99% of the time.
So please don't ask, just go rent one.
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #77

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I might offer to drive.. But I would not let them.. I would cite INSURANCE even if that is an old retail lie (What can I say I worked in retail sales).

I know professional SEMI drivers.. They were not comfortable driving a Class A any more than I was the first time.

But then I used to say "I have driven everything from riding lawn mowers to Semi Trucks"

Now it's ...>TO class A motor homes. (2 of them though the other one I did not take out of the park)
Old 06-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
nope nope nope nope nope
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
nope nope nope nope nope

Is that your final answer? LOL
Old 06-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
ColdForged,
I would say no. Here's why. In my opinion, anyone, family member or not, who has the nerve to ask to use such a high ticket item is the same person who will not take much care of your property. Her and the dog are going to make a mess of your brand new rv. And quite frankly, it will not even occur to her what she and the dog have done. Anyone who automatically presumes that she can just take over your property to use it at her convenience because, of course, you want to see her come down for the winter, is a self absorbed I/me person. The answer is no. Otherwise, she will be staying in it months at a time, year after year. I'm thinking you didn't buy it for her. Hmm...maybe you could offer her to stay in it for 4 month's during which time she pays the monthly payment, insurance, rv site fee's and for the steam cleaning and any repairs at the end of the stay.......No, just say no.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Is that your final answer? LOL
That's my final answer.

Had a family member who sold his house and found himself stalled for whatever reason on closing on his new house..... Jokingly asked if he could stay in my brand spanking new airstream if he (his wife, two dogs, 10 cats) had to...

nope, nope, nope, nope .......... cruiseamerica.com

I was a little taken back he even asked, the answer was quick.

This should sum it up.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #82

I hear tell that Cousin Eddie will lend out his slightly used class A rig. Only catch is ...he will house sit for you while you are vacationing in his rig.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #83

Smile Just say NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I might offer to drive.. But I would not let them.. I would cite INSURANCE even if that is an old retail lie (What can I say I worked in retail sales).

I know professional SEMI drivers.. They were not comfortable driving a Class A any more than I was the first time.

But then I used to say "I have driven everything from riding lawn mowers to Semi Trucks"

Now it's ...>TO class A motor homes. (2 of them though the other one I did not take out of the park)
I an understand why a professional Semi driver would not feel comfortable driving a Motor Home if he is still driving a semi for a living, the last thing he would want to do is drive a big old motor home on his vacation. I have done a number of things in my life always self employed and one of those things was I owned a trucking company and yes I am one of them guys who have driven everything. I had no problem at all getting use to driving a Class A Diesel pusher and I enjoy driving it, ( I have to fight the wife to see who gets to drive it this time ) but It has been years since I drove a truck for a living and now it is fun. Yes I am one of the lucky ones who's wife can and enjoys driving the Motor Home , don't tell her I said so, but she is really good at it .

But to let someone else drive it or borrow it, or use it as a bunk house....The answer is NO No NO And if it is family or a dear old Mother in Law then the answer is Hell NO.

So lets go out and get into some Mischief and have fun
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't fix stupid.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote