Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #127

Maybe... Maybe Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I find the biggest impact on my MPG is actually side-winds , not so much my speed. Probably because to counter the wind I need to turn my tires in to it, which causes the front tires to scrub a bit... Aerodynamics would do nothing for this ...
I believe a rounded shape like an Airstream would help with cross winds to some degree. Don't you think?

Instead of modeling Class As after buses, why not after bullet trains, or jet planes?

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #128

Monaco Owners Club
The Heavies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldedit View Post
I talked to the owner of a 45-ft., 2006 Prevost who's here in Homer, AK, at the moment. Driving from Connecticut, he's been getting 6 to 7 mpg, he said.
A buddy with a Prevost and 600hp Detroit similarly topped 6 to 7, driving with his hair on fire.

With my thirsty C13, using his complete repertoire of drifting, limited use of exhaust brake, uphill speed fade, etc. coupled with my grandmotherly 63 mph cruise, I can barely hit 6.

Two things that seem to inch up my Silver Leaf mileage, which is shown in hundredths of mpg: changing our dolly toad from a Crosstour to a Prius; and adding to the tire manufacturers' specified psi for our axle-end weights.

Great thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post

Incidentally, seems Bobio's greatest mpg secret was drafting behind semis... anyone else try that?

David
I'm somewhat curious, have experimented with trailing semi trucks, didn't see a discernible difference. Just how close in trail is needed?
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To close to be safe.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #130

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
High jake brake rpm's will cut into mpg. My theory anyway?
No fuel is flowing when the exhaust or Jake brake is used. Don't know for sure about the variable vane units but I'm guessing it's the same.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #131

I can tell you that if you draft a semi he will be pissed because he has to work harder to push the air in front of him with you hanging off the rear. I also wonder why we are all so worried about fuel mileage in our excessively heavy, big engine motorhomes? IMHO I didn't purchase my C13 525hp CAT to worry about the difference in fuel mileage. I bought it because I wanted to climb any mountain while maintaining a safe speed without overworking the motor and I get what I get. If I was that worried about it, I wouldn't own a Motorhome...... Just saying.....
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #132

Also, when the throttle is closed while the Jake is on, the injection system is in deceleration enleanment which means that there is no fuel flowing to the engine and the engine is basically a large air compressor. You will get fantastic mileage if you just go down steep hills all the time......
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #133

In June we made 5050 miles from Houston through the inter-mountain west in our '11 Damon Astoria 40' DP with a Cummins ISB-XT 360 and an Allison MH 3000 towing an '09 Chevy 1/2 ton crew cab and running 65-70 we averaged 8.3 mpg. Also, of note on the return trip battled 30-45 mph head to quartering winds for 2500 miles.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I can tell you that if you draft a semi he will be pissed because he has to work harder to push the air in front of him with you hanging off the rear. I also wonder why we are all so worried about fuel mileage in our excessively heavy, big engine motorhomes? IMHO I didn't purchase my C13 525hp CAT to worry about the difference in fuel mileage. I bought it because I wanted to climb any mountain while maintaining a safe speed without overworking the motor and I get what I get. If I was that worried about it, I wouldn't own a Motorhome...... Just saying.....
... and yet you know exactly what kind of fuel mileage your coach nets.

For us, mileage was a very important factor when we were considering whether or not to get a motorhome. The difference between 11mpg and 6 mpg would be the difference between going or not going on certain trips. We could have never afforded our last trip of 6200 miles getting 6mpg. Not everyone has the same income to fuel expense ratio. It's awesome that you have achieved a level of success where you don't have to consider the cost of fuel in your rig, but it's just not that way for some.

We bought a motorhome to spend time together as a family seeing the country... It would be great if our motorhome was newer/bigger/faster/nicer, but I consider it a privilege and a blessing to own a motorhome that we can afford to drive, even though it's old and not really all that nice compared to most of the ones I've seen out there on the road. Everybody has a different lot in life... I work hard for what we have, and I do my best to stretch our dollar as far as possible... and fuel mileage makes a difference to us... just sayin'...

enjoy what you have...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #135

Piker, Well said! Kudos!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #136

I certainly didn't mean to offend....... I am just saying that I bought what I have because I wanted the comforts that came along with it and accepted the lower fuel mileage. I do like your answer and feel blessed that my family and I can own a Motorhome and make the memories that we have. Have a great day....
Old 08-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I can tell you that if you draft a semi he will be pissed because he has to work harder to push the air in front of him with you hanging off the rear.
Not so. The air doesn't get magically thicker in front of a truck when another vehicle is behind. What is happening is you are driving in the 'hole' created by the truck so the following vehicle doesn't need to push aside the air. You are actually reducing the truck's drag caused by the lower pressure air behind the truck.
So actually BOTH vehicles see an improvement in fuel economy. The drafting vehicle will see a much better improvement than the drafted vehicle but both will improve some.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #138

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Not so. The air doesn't get magically thicker in front of a truck when another vehicle is behind. What is happening is you are driving in the 'hole' created by the truck so the following vehicle doesn't need to push aside the air. You are actually reducing the truck's drag caused by the lower pressure air behind the truck.
So actually BOTH vehicles see an improvement in fuel economy. The drafting vehicle will see a much better improvement than the drafted vehicle but both will improve some.
Absolutely. Why do you think that the Nascar boys form those trains? Because it is more aerodynamic for all the cars in a line rather than one car by itself. I think that the truckers just get pissed having someone on their bumper (unless maybe it is another truck). Even though I am not worried about being rear-ended, I still don't like anyone following too close to us.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post

Absolutely. Why do you think that the Nascar boys form those trains? Because it is more aerodynamic for all the cars in a line rather than one car by itself. I think that the truckers just get pissed having someone on their bumper (unless maybe it is another truck). Even though I am not worried about being rear-ended, I still don't like anyone following too close to us.
Fuel mileage and tailgating should never be in the same sentence.

I hate it. Passionately!

A tailgater can remain 1 car length behind me, as long as the driver does not mind that I gradually slow to encourage finding another draftee.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
... and yet you know exactly what kind of fuel mileage your coach nets.

For us, mileage was a very important factor when we were considering whether or not to get a motorhome. The difference between 11mpg and 6 mpg would be the difference between going or not going on certain trips. We could have never afforded our last trip of 6200 miles getting 6mpg. Not everyone has the same income to fuel expense ratio. It's awesome that you have achieved a level of success where you don't have to consider the cost of fuel in your rig, but it's just not that way for some.

We bought a motorhome to spend time together as a family seeing the country... It would be great if our motorhome was newer/bigger/faster/nicer, but I consider it a privilege and a blessing to own a motorhome that we can afford to drive, even though it's old and not really all that nice compared to most of the ones I've seen out there on the road. Everybody has a different lot in life... I work hard for what we have, and I do my best to stretch our dollar as far as possible... and fuel mileage makes a difference to us... just sayin'...

enjoy what you have...

-cheers
We are retired and have all the funds we are ever going to have. We need to make them last. Packing our own meals, saving on hotels, avoiding kenneling our dog, using electricity at a resort, etc help stretch dollars. Mileage matters beyond 8-9 mpg. We have a450hp cummins and haven't tried mountains yet but doubt we will ride a semis butt. Tailgating makes me nervous. My reflexes are not what they used to be especially with a 43 foot MH under my family.

Tags
diesel