Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Your experiences with BrakeSwitch?

I am interested in installing a device called the BrakeSwitch on my MH and would like to poll the members who have actually used this. I understand that it doesn't work exactly the same on all MH's.

I'm told that on mine I can leave the PacBrake switch on all the time (which I do now) and the PacBrake will not engage until I take my foot off the throttle and press the brake pedal. Right now it engages any time I take my foot off the throttle. I would like to be able to take my foot off the throttle and let the MH coast without using the brake and I understand that the BrakeSwitch will allow me to do that.

The only negative thing I have been told is that on some MH's when the cruise control is engaged and the brake pedal is depressed and the PacBrake is engaged that the "Resume" function on the cruise control is turned off and you have to "Set" the speed again. That might be a little annoying but right now I don't see it as a "biggie". What has been your experience on this?

Your comments will be appreciated!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Without a doubt one of the best modifications I did on the DP. Works as advertized and reduces the stress of on and off operation as stock. Never noticed any interference with the unit in cruise control.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a BrakeSwitch after hearing many good things about it on the CATRV forum a year ago. I wanted it for the same reason you suggest. Having the transmission programmed to Latch Mode would accomplish the same thing, but would require the effort of getting to a CAT dealer and paying for the reprogramming which alone is more than the cost of the switch module.

Before I could muster the courage to identify and start snipping wires under the dash I found myself camped next to a fellow with the tool to reprogram the MH3000. We did the reprogramming and I am happy with the result.

I have not read of anyone unhappy with the BrakeSwitch if properly installed. If I had a little more confidence in my 12v skills I would be using mine today. That said, I have an unused BrakeSwitch I will be happy to sell for much less than I paid for it. PM me if interested.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
I purchased a BrakeSwitch after hearing many good things about it on the CATRV forum a year ago. I wanted it for the same reason you suggest. Having the transmission programmed to Latch Mode would accomplish the same thing, but would require the effort of getting to a CAT dealer and paying for the reprogramming which alone is more than the cost of the switch module.

Before I could muster the courage to identify and start snipping wires under the dash I found myself camped next to a fellow with the tool to reprogram the MH3000. We did the reprogramming and I am happy with the result.

I have not read of anyone unhappy with the BrakeSwitch if properly installed. If I had a little more confidence in my 12v skills I would be using mine today. That said, I have an unused BrakeSwitch I will be happy to sell for much less than I paid for it. PM me if interested.
Bill, I appreciate that, but I wonder if the BrakeSwitch for the Freightliner chassis would be exactly the same as the one for my Roadmaster chassis??
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

Great device! They seem very knowledgable. Ask them about your chassis.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Yaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk View Post
Without a doubt one of the best modifications I did on the DP. Works as advertized and reduces the stress of on and off operation as stock. Never noticed any interference with the unit in cruise control.

X2
Also as a note, I studied the brake switch web site and was able to make up my own using a relay I had laying around.

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had the Brakeswitch on my old 2001 ISB Bounder - loved it. Since changing to the ISL powered Windsor with a real engine brake, vs an exhaust brake, I find I don't need it.
Plus the Cruise Control on the Windsor won't engage with the engine brake in the On position, so I'm not sure the BrakeSwitch would work as well on this motorhome, as I may still need to turn it on and off to use Cruise Control....
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I am interested in installing a device called the BrakeSwitch on my MH and would like to poll the members who have actually used this. I understand that it doesn't work exactly the same on all MH's.

I'm told that on mine I can leave the PacBrake switch on all the time (which I do now) and the PacBrake will not engage until I take my foot off the throttle and press the brake pedal. Right now it engages any time I take my foot off the throttle. I would like to be able to take my foot off the throttle and let the MH coast without using the brake and I understand that the BrakeSwitch will allow me to do that.

The only negative thing I have been told is that on some MH's when the cruise control is engaged and the brake pedal is depressed and the PacBrake is engaged that the "Resume" function on the cruise control is turned off and you have to "Set" the speed again. That might be a little annoying but right now I don't see it as a "biggie". What has been your experience on this?

Your comments will be appreciated!
I have installed Many Exhaust brakes over the last 12 years.

The exhaust brake should never be active with Cruise Control On.

A Nice option is a manual Switch or button on the Wheel or cruise stick or console, then you can use it as you see fit.

We used to use the Red 2 Speed axle buttons for exhaust brake activation

Looking at the site Brakeswitch looks like a great product.

Personally I Prefer Engine braking when releasing the Throttle.

Also My Brake Switch takes a lot of pressure before my Brake lights come on and is not adjustable.

My Brake lights illuminate every time the engine brake comes on which I like for Safety.

Ted.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
just picked up my first DP and am learning the nuances of it. My wife found the Brakeswitch online and showed it to me. seems like a good idea as I am still learning the braking on this rig. Went from an 03 Newmar 37' gasser to an 08 Monaco 40' diesel. Any advice either way?
bsnolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj View Post
X2
Also as a note, I studied the brake switch web site and was able to make up my own using a relay I had laying around.

I did the same, that is, made my own including an extra switch that allows override of the feature so the system can go back to factory function if desired. I use this when in city traffic and wish to not press the brake each time to get EB. On long grades I also go back to factory function and feather the throttle to turn the EB on/off.

The coast feature is great for the rolling hills situation where coasting makes sense and doesn't build up much speed. I found the actuation of the EB and downshift of the transmission on slight grades to be annoying and common sense says its more wear and tear on the mechanicals of the bus. One of the best fuel saving features available, and there aren't many of those.

As to whether cruise works or not with EB on, unless I don't understand, the issue is whether you have to reset the speed or not after a cycling of the EB system. Resetting would be a pain but doable, and having to turn it on again would be much worse.

The only other option with these is whether the brake lights function or not with EB actuation. Some do, some don't. Mine don't, but if I remove a diode in the circuit they could.
jtfcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I have the brake switch and do like it. The cruise control works as it should. If you have questions about if it will work on your vehicle contact hhawks@msn.com
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #12

I've had the product for over 3 years on my Roadmaster chassis. I've never had a problem and the instillation was a snap. A great product at a great price.

Mike
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

When I was a firefighter we just would rest our foot on the throttle if we wanted to coast. It came back to me pretty quickly when I bought the DP with the engine brake.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote