RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #1

Your input re setting up a small RV lot

Hello All,

I'm looking for your ideas, suggestions, tips etc about setting up a small rv lot, approx. 20 spaces. We have been camping for about 20 years so we think were pretty familiar with what we need but there's so many on this forum with much more experience and expertise than us that I'm hoping for some good input. We are a few months away from opening a regional dog show/event center in Western NY and have included parking for 20 motorhomes. I have included electric at the spots, we are installing a dump station and single water fill as most will only be there for 2-3 days. The lot is gravel, rolled flat, I'm having some trouble deciding on width spacing for the spots, ex MH 8 foot wide add in 6 more for slides for larger A's, then how much more room in between units so as not to be too close but need to be mindful of the area, about 130' x 120'. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank You
Bassetdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 05:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I would try for 20 X 50 foot spots minimum.

Rigs are 8' 6" plus mirrors (2') so that gets 10' 6", then slides are 30" plus for both sides.

If it's just a temporary set-up, fine. But it will be tight.

Don't forget road and turning allowances also. Angle in and out will help.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassetdad View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking for your ideas, suggestions, tips etc about setting up a small rv lot, approx. 20 spaces. We have been camping for about 20 years so we think were pretty familiar with what we need but there's so many on this forum with much more experience and expertise than us that I'm hoping for some good input. We are a few months away from opening a regional dog show/event center in Western NY and have included parking for 20 motorhomes. I have included electric at the spots, we are installing a dump station and single water fill as most will only be there for 2-3 days. The lot is gravel, rolled flat, I'm having some trouble deciding on width spacing for the spots, ex MH 8 foot wide add in 6 more for slides for larger A's, then how much more room in between units so as not to be too close but need to be mindful of the area, about 130' x 120'. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank You
That sounds like a really small area for 20 sites as you need to have wide roads to accommodate large MH's turning and backing in.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Some quick calculations, and lucky to get 12 in there. Still tight at that.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Hopefully you have roads on 2 sides of your area. Also it’s harder to back into a site that’s 90 degrees to the road unless the road area is 40’ wide. Angling the sites 30 degrees will make it easier but with only 130’ you loose a lot of area. It would be better if your area was 260X60...13 20’ wide sites.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #6

My biggest complaint about many RV campgrounds is the lack of space. I will go out of my way to find a place that offers space between my neighbor and me. The room you are working with sounds a bit on the tight side. Many good places offer 25 x 50 or more feet.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #7

I dont know about a short term very small park but can say the biggest oversight I've seen on a very high end resort park of <100 sites was ignoring the sun.
This is FL so maybe more significant but minor adjustments could have made a large improvement. Owners never thought about it.
Morning sun welcome but hot PM sun make it unbearable even with awnings.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I dont know about a short term very small park but can say the biggest oversight I've seen on a very high end resort park of <100 sites was ignoring the sun.
This is FL so maybe more significant but minor adjustments could have made a large improvement. Owners never thought about it.
Morning sun welcome but hot PM sun make it unbearable even with awnings.

Funny because the engineer planned for all of these high intensity overhead lights in lot, we're like no no remove those please
Old 01-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Hopefully you have roads on 2 sides of your area. Also itís harder to back into a site thatís 90 degrees to the road unless the road area is 40í wide. Angling the sites 30 degrees will make it easier but with only 130í you loose a lot of area. It would be better if your area was 260X60...13 20í wide sites.
I should have been more specific that some of those in attendance will have B's and C's (Rv's of course) so I wont need the width of a spot I would have for an A. The great thing about gravel lot is we can adjust as needed, the planner has the spots at 40' long so there's 40 feet in the center for pulling/backing in. He only had 10' foot spaces though, I'm like ya that's not going to work. And as I type I just thought about 5Th wheels, but beyond the gravel there will be grass so I guess we can hang over that some if needed
Old 01-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I would try for 20 X 50 foot spots minimum.

Rigs are 8' 6" plus mirrors (2') so that gets 10' 6", then slides are 30" plus for both sides.

If it's just a temporary set-up, fine. But it will be tight.

Don't forget road and turning allowances also. Angle in and out will help.

That sounds good, 20ft for an A. What do you think for B or C? also I'm using the utility pedestals that have outlets on both sides so I'm thinking that will provide some flexibility
Old 01-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassetdad View Post
I should have been more specific that some of those in attendance will have B's and C's (Rv's of course) so I wont need the width of a spot I would have for an A. The great thing about gravel lot is we can adjust as needed, the planner has the spots at 40' long so there's 40 feet in the center for pulling/backing in. He only had 10' foot spaces though, I'm like ya that's not going to work. And as I type I just thought about 5Th wheels, but beyond the gravel there will be grass so I guess we can hang over that some if needed
10' sites are definitely not anywhere close to being wide enough!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I've attended numerous dog show events with my wife. The one thing you may have neglected is room for the X-pens, and these can take up quite a bit of room depending on dog breed and number of dogs.

We travel in a ~40' rig with 2 slides, which requires a minimum of 11 ft just for the rig. The awning on the passenger side needs another 8'. X-pens will be partially under the awning but we usually allow room to be able to walk around the pens to take care of the dogs. A 25X50' area would be right for our size coach but I've seen some people that required much more. We also traveled in a 31' Class C, we could probably get by with a 20'X35' area. In either case there needs to be room for being able to park toads or tow vehicles.

Unless you not going to accommodate dog owners you my want to rethink the size.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #13

Your input re setting up a small RV lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I've attended numerous dog show events with my wife. The one thing you may have neglected is room for the X-pens, and these can take up quite a bit of room depending on dog breed and number of dogs.

We travel in a ~40' rig with 2 slides, which requires a minimum of 11 ft just for the rig. The awning on the passenger side needs another 8'. X-pens will be partially under the awning but we usually allow room to be able to walk around the pens to take care of the dogs. A 25X50' area would be right for our size coach but I've seen some people that required much more. We also traveled in a 31' Class C, we could probably get by with a 20'X35' area. In either case there needs to be room for being able to park toads or tow vehicles. ....

This is why I was looking for input, thank you for the great info! We go to dog shows also and I forgot all about setting up X pens
Old 01-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you need to get any county permits?

Do you need to collect sales tax?

Do you have insurance?

Do you need a business license?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote