Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #71

I have been debating this also and this thread has convinced me to not join.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been debating this also and this thread has convinced me to not join.
Yeah. I am not the rally type. So if I belong for 7 years I spend $350 to save another $150 on tires, and get another magazine to put on the stack I use to start campfires.
Naw
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #73
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Yeah. I am not the rally type. So if I belong for 7 years I spend $350 to save another $150 on tires, and get another magazine to put on the stack I use to start campfires.
Naw
You only have to belong one year to save $ 150 ( some much more ) on tires do the math .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

You only have to belong one year to save $ 150 ( some much more ) on tires do the math .
Cliff,

I have only 19.5 tires.
I'm only 3 years into them.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #75
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Cliff,

I have only 19.5 tires.
I'm only 3 years into them.
You don't have to join until you need new ones is my point. I think there are other benefits that I care to support and I am a member.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

You don't have to join until you need new ones is my point. I think there are other benefits that I care to support and I am a member.
Okay Cliff.
I respect that.
No offense intended.
I'll look into it.
Dave
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #77

I decided to not renew my membership once it expires this year. I've enjoyed attending a few of the national rallies, but not as much recently. I do not need tires & I can shop around if and when I need new ones. I'm a Good Sam life member & finally managed to get off their mailing list this year (amazing how much stuff they sent). The GS card gets me discounts at more campgrounds than FMCA card. I've tried a few rallies at both organizations & found I'm not a rally type person. Don't really have anything bad to say about either organization.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Well yes, it does seem the staff are snobs or something. On the other hand, who manages rallies with and coordinates everything. Things go wrong at rallies like in Wyoming but that was no fault of FMCA (unless you believe they control the weather). It's a safe bet that the staff is running around "putting out fires" all the time giving the appearance of "I have no time for you". Give them a break.

Personally I had a sat dish installed at a very low price. DW and I enjoy the rallies in the western part of the USA.

You are free to choose......or not.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #79

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We are considering joining FMCA and just wanted to get your opinions as to whether it is worthwhile. I don't need to belong to any more "clubs" just to say I'm a member and to get one of those big plastic eggs! Thanks for your input!
I have been reading the responses to the original poster and even contributed one. I have concluded that, like noses and opinions, everyone has one.

Why don't you try a membership for a year, involve yourself in national, regional and local chapter activities, then decide for yourself if you are getting value. After your trial year, post your conclusion to this forum. As the number of posts indicate, there is an interest in this subject.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #80

Country Coach Owners Club
As one poster said, it about being active. If you aren't active by going to at least one area rally or international convention, well you are missing out. We have friends that the only time we see them is at an FMCA function. Sure we are in contact through the year but a face to face happens because of an FMCA function of some sort. We meet up somewhere either before or after and have a good time for a week or so and then it is bye until next time.

Snobs, I don't think so. Go to a convention and you will see all classes of motorcoaches from class B's to the big dogs. We all have a good time.

Being on the governing board and also being a volunteer, I can say that the staff works really hard supporting a convention, it is not easy. Coordination and planning takes over a year for a convention. Currently planning is going on for the Redmond 2014 international convention and depending on contract negotiations, future sites include Pomona,CA. Madison,WI. and Indianapolis,IN.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad to be a member and support what they do for the lifestyle. Enjoy the reading material and didn't join for the "what's in it for me" reason. I've met great people with the same interest and will support whatever helps the lifestyle for myself or others in the future.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #82

Well said, Bruce. My sentiments exactly!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
I Was Reluctant to Join FMCA, Still Don't Have Their Placard on My Rig

FMCA forum is smaller but friendly. All my technical blogging is conducted there.

The tire discount alone is worth the price of admission. For me, it is nearly $200 per tire.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
We are members and will stay members even though we are lifetime GS members also. We don't like the big FMCA (or the GS) rallies however we joined a small FMCA chapter that we truly enjoy. That local chapter has rallies every two months and we make about 3-4 per year. Life-long friends have been made.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote