Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Your thoughts on interior ceiling height?

I'll be ordering my coach in January and would like your thoughts on something I just noticed yesterday, Interior Cealing Height.

I've been looking at three different coaches and just noticed one has a ceiling height of 6'8" while the other two are 7'. How big of a deal is that in real life situations? Im 6'3" will the 6'8" be bothersome?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are 6'3" you will be much happier with a 7' ceiling
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If everything else is equal, I'd go with the 7' ceilings, but that probably also means your roof is higher which means you're pushing more wind going down the road. Really, the only time I notice the height of our ceilings is when I look up and think about it. But I do think higher ceiling means more comfortable motorhome.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't jump. :-) I went with a 7' ceiling after walking through models. I'm 6'2" and It felt cramped to me somehow in the 6'8" motorhome. It's probably just a personal preference and you have to weight the benefit you would have of an RV under 12' in height (the reason given for the lower ceiling height of the coach I looked at) versus your feeling inside the coach.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm 6 foot even - and live with 7' ceilings in our coach. Aside from the occasional encounter with the ceiling fan in the bedroom when pulling a sweatshirt over my head - I don't much notice the ceiling height. I'm going to guess that the 4" different between a 7' verses a 6' 8" ceiling is noticeable ... however, I would bet that once you've hung out inside the coach for a bit - the difference wouldn't be an issue. In my experience - you can grow accustomed to pretty much anything without a whole lot of trouble. If everything else in the coach is working for you - I wouldn't sweat the ceiling height.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

Thanks for your comments. I just noticed that all Newmar motorhomes have have 6'8" ceilings and that really surprised me because many are well over 12' high.

I guess I thought if the exterior height is higher the interior ceiling would be as well but this is obviously not so. So why make huge coaches like the King Aire and only have 6'8" ceilings?

I'm surprised at the attention I spend on websites and brochures and just now noticed there's a difference in ceiling heights. I'll be paying more attention on other things as well from now on.

And SpaceNorm you're sure right, you get use to most anything don't you?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are many reasons for different height ceilings.....just a couple include, basement storage height and insulation in the floor and ceiling.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I checked our ceiling and it is 7'. While a lower ceiling would be OK this one is great.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

A coincidence,, out all last week in ours and the thought came to me that it wouldn't bother me if the ceiling height was lower. I'm 5'10" and it it almost seems like there's a waste of space up there. I was also imagining that something like 6 inches shaved from the total height of the rig would help curb wind resistance and help with fuel mileage.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #10

High Enough

Ceilings should definately be high enough so that your head doesn't rub and drag whatever hair you still have out.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:35 PM   #11

I am 6'2 and have a 7' ceiling. The extra inches make all the difference for me.
ThatWaySulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Thanks for your comments. I just noticed that all Newmar motorhomes have have 6'8" ceilings and that really surprised me because many are well over 12' high.
I believe all of Newmar's ceiling heights are 84" (7').
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I believe all of Newmar's ceiling heights are 84" (7').
Just measured our 2013 Baystar Sport at 80". I'm 6'2" and have no issues, DW can just reach the bathroom vent knob to open it so any higher would have been a problem for her. Top cupboard shelves can be a stretch for her as well.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post

I guess I thought if the exterior height is higher the interior ceiling would be as well but this is obviously not so. So why make huge coaches like the King Aire and only have 6'8" ceilings?

I'm surprised at the attention I spend on websites and brochures and just now noticed there's a difference in ceiling heights. I'll be paying more attention on other things as well from now on.

And SpaceNorm you're sure right, you get use to most anything don't you?
I don't know where you noticed that. AFAIKT, the only Newmars that are 6'8 are the Baystars. All the others from Canyonstar on up are 84".
CacherCar54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, interior