Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
It was my wife's idea......so we could take our boys (dogs) with us wherever we go. We just finished our first 5 month stay in Florida and are already planning trips for the future...with the boys.
Need I say more?
TnT612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #44
KC

I tent camped as a boy but we went to the family cabin. My wife, tent and pop up camped as a child. When I got old enough I pop up camped. After we got married we went with a 5th wheel but I did not need such a large pickup every day. We bought our first MH. After 12 years while we were camping we stopped by the Elkhart campshow at the RV Museum, as we were leaving a medical emergency forced us down a different aisle, she walked into a Challenger 37kt, after talking with the sale men for 3/4 of an hour we left. After getting home I found the same RV at our local dealer for much less. I went and looked at it, got a trade in value for my RV and put a deposit down to hold it. Wife looked at that weekend and with in 2 weeks we bought our current RV

KC
Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great thread!

Wow, it was a rainy day about two years ago, we were looking for something inside to do... no good movies. We saw that there was a RV show going on downtown so we said what the heck, we can walk around for a while.

We had a great time walking around talking with the lookers (most had RV experience), spoke to a few sales people. This was the first time we had ever walked into a RV of any kind.

We started noticing travel trailers, motor homes, etc. rolling down the highway. We started questioning each other, was that a gas or diesel coach? Was that a fiver or travel trailer, class C or was it a B. This went off and on for a year, we always looked as one went by.

About a year later we started stopping and looking at RV lots, we even started looking when we were out of town. Caught a couple more RV shows in other cities. Talked to hundreds of RV owners.

Six months ago we went on two vacations that our dog came home infested with fleas. None of our dogs have ever had flea problems, we had to hit a couple pet friendly hotels in a row that were not well kept (we don't stay in cheap hotels either).

My wife suggested we consider an RV more seriously. We really thought we wanted a fifth wheel, already picked one out and a new truck.

We then noticed that there were some very nice places not far from where we live but they are "class A motorhome resorts". We changed up and started looking at class A gas coaches less than 35 feet (want to get in all parks as well).

Within a few more months we made a choice, a new 2016 Jayco gas coach that is 32' in length. We decided we will try it for two years and then decide if we "love it or leave it". We have had our first and only RV vacation last month and we loved it! So much fun, we really like the people we met!

We love cooking out, sitting under the stars, having our little boy(dog) with us, meeting new people with a common interest.

We have a little longer vacation scheduled the end of this month... we can't wait! I'm guessing a DP in our future, better wait two years though, my wife will enforce that

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #46

I'm in the same boat as Pepper2. My wife had been saying she had the "wants" for a MH all along. I really hadn't thought much about it. Then after some time she came home one day and asked again if I had ever given any thought to a MH. I said no, but it might be nice to have at some time in the future if we can get some spare money together. She said good, we just bought one; go pick it up. And so it began.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
The jury is still out.

DH speaking. I have camped in a 56 Shasta TT, and a 73 Terry TT, after we got back back from Yellowstone with the kids, the (ex) DW said she wanted room service, and she was done with 'camping'.
Nowadays, new wife, new outlook on life. I had a teardrop, but DW said it was too small. I traded it in on a gasser. I'll repost after Memorial Day with the results.
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #48

We just purchased our first in December. I first brought it up about 2 years ago, she just smiled and said it could be fun (I think to amuse me) probably expecting it to never happen.

Then we started visiting my parents when they'd be out in their RV. Discussed the fact that our two kids are growing up so fast and that some of my fondest memories were spent in an RV. Seems like most weekends are pretty forgettable with trips to Target and running errands, etc. Luckily she also had fond memories RVing with her grandparents as a kid.

Now we're weekend warriors with a few longer trips sprinkled in. Glad to say she's also enjoyed every minute. When my kids get home (ages 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 ) and see the motorhome is packed up, she sees the look on their faces and thinks it's definitely worth it. We've been having a great time!
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
I think at first she thought buying a 40' was crazy.
Then I believe she realized I was buying one, and I was going to try this rv thing.
Then she picked it out and we still love it 3 years later!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #50

My wife and I met when we were 12 years old camping (we've been married for 38 years) and we've had about every type of camper out there. My wife originally struggled with the idea of the motor home because she thought it was too pretentious. We loved our 5th wheel but for her comfort while driving we went with the Motor Home.

The first trip home (7 hours) she was fearful due to the size of the windshield and she was emotional. A year later she loves the motor home and the freedom that it affords us.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #51

I'm really surprised at the number of ladies who first had the motorhome idea? I've also been surprised at the number of ladies I've read about who are motor-homing on their own. Who'd of thought a woman could have such fine and wonderful ideas?

I said that with smile on my face and my wife would tell you I have some rascal in me! And maybe a death wish.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
She said good, we just bought one; go pick it up. And so it began.
That is AWESOME

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I wanted a Winnebago View to replace my aging VW Vanagon Westfalia. Wife wanted more space, and we ended up with a 40' diesel pusher.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
That was a nice trade.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #54

Your wife and the Motorhome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
That was a nice trade.

With roughly five times the interior space, and a real bathroom for my lovely ladies, the MH is incredibly luxurious. I really loved the old van, though. It was a diesel pusher too, which are uncommon in North America. I offered to buy it back from the current owners. They had a good laugh before firmly refusing. I'm thinking about finding another one for a toad, with paint to match the MH. It would either be the best of both worlds or the last step on the road to insanity. Tough call...

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 05-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife all the way and I am so happy with where we are. We started with a pop up, then travel trailer, then a 5th wheel and now our custom ordered motor home. We both simply love the lifestyle.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #56

My wife claims it was a con she came up with to get me to travel. Since im a home body she thought if she could set up the motorhome just like the house I would adapt. It worked and we go everywhere.
So basically it was all her idea.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome