Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Zanzibar Safari starting problem

I have a 03 zanzibar Safari and having a starting problem. There isn't chassis schematics in the owners manual and they are out of business. Do any of you rv'ers out there have any ideas or have those schematics.
Silver beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #2

You probably need to post more detailed info about the problem so we can help you. IE: cranks but won't run , won't crank over, etc.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2 .

I looked at a Safari before I purchased my Newmar , but didn't notice a chassis manufacturer .
Did they build their own chassis , or is your coach on a Freightliner or Spartan chassis . Both these chassis makers are still suppling info for your year.

If not one of those chassis , then adding your chassis info and engine type, will help our members get you better info.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #4

I think my 01 Zanzibar was on a Freightliner chassis.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #5

More info. Starting problem

First thank you for your feedback. The chassis is a road master d- series. It will not start or turn over batteries are fully charged. I am getting control power to the solenoid and it does activate (removed and tested) but not getting any voltage to battery side terminal there must be a fuse or relay up line somewhere just haven't been able to find it.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver beard View Post
First thank you for your feedback. The chassis is a road master d- series. It will not start or turn over batteries are fully charged. I am getting control power to the solenoid and it does activate (removed and tested) but not getting any voltage to battery side terminal there must be a fuse or relay up line somewhere just haven't been able to find it.
Do you have your chassis battery disconnect on disconnect?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #7

My Beaver Patriot has done that on several occasions and then finally started. I believe it will turn out to be the key switch but either way TRY THIS" turn the ignition key to the on position and go to the rear of the coach where the oil filters transmission dipstick is. you should have a small panel with a couple of gauges an switch's and push buttons, I am am trying to remember but place the switch to rear, you should hear the lift pump come on wait 5 seconds or so and push start.
BeaverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:18 PM   #8

FWIW. I worked at a Freightliner dealership, I was mostly the managers head gopher, anyway. In handling starting issues, the guys in the shop told me, always first thing,
check the point of ground cable to chassis connection. Often its corroded.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hello, I have an 04 Safari Zanzibar. I don't think I have ever found a wiring schematic for mine but never found it would be of much use anyhow since it seems Monaco made so many deviations to the wiring. There are a lot of similarities between the Zanzibar and the Diplomat. I'm not sure about the difference of the 03 to 04 models, but there are a couple of "fuses" in the battery compartment. They don't look like fuses, but you will see them between the solenoids. If you don't get this resolved, I can take a photo for you. I would start with a multimeter and begin at the batteries and trace the wiring for power. As Roy stated, give us more info and maybe we can help. IE.. when you turn the key what does it do?
Old 01-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

No power to the battery side of the starter relay ( solenoid ) , in my wiring schematics , for Freightliner chassis with Cat and Cummins , that power wire doesn't show any fuse protection .

In both cases the wire in question ; battery power to the relay ; doesn't start at the battery + , the wire is connected to the battery + cable terminal ( along with the alternator output wire ) at the starter .
I can't say if this is the case for your chassis , but it's another place to look for a bad connection.

Will the engine crank , if you supply battery power to the relay output wire, or directly to the solenoid on the starter ?
Old 01-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #11

Thanks for your input, it won't crank from the rear start button either .been checking grounds they will do crazy things. I ordered a tone generator yesterday should be here this afternoon late .then I can start tracing the wires without tearing to much stuff apart lol thank goodness I'm at home .will let you know what I find .thanks again
Old 01-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #12

I think I have an identical model (currently parked and easily accessible). I am not an expert on electrical issues , but if you want me to check something on mine I would be happy to try. I will PM you with my phone number.
Lowell
AZ-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem