Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

Zep floor sealer

Read some posts that a floor sealer could be used instead of rather expensive products posted online and on UTube. Went to Home Depot a few weeks ago and gave a floor sealer called Zep a try. I have a 1993 Winnebago Adventurer, 33 foot motor home. The white paint has faded some on the sides and has begun to yellow. The blue paint on the bottom has begun to flake in some spots. I washed the RV and started applying the floor sealer to the blue paint on the bottom since I could easily reach without a ladder. I applied two coats after letting the first coat dry for about a half hour. I then moved on to the upper portion and covered the white with as many coats. Just finished the roof with three coats. As you can see in the photo the blue paint has a nice shine to it. I didn't try to sand out the yellow in the white paint and was more concerned with sealing the paint and hopefully preventing any more flaking of the blue paint. We lived in the desert near Palm Springs for a number of years and I know the summer sun took its toll on the exterior of the RV. Hopefully this will work and prevent any damage before we have to paint.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400775031.982627.jpg
Views:	1738
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	63589Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400775031.982627.jpg
Views:	1738
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	63589
IndioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #2

Poli glow is great but more expensive than ZEP, the reason I mention it is that the cleaner 'Poli Prep' does the best job I have seen for getting the fiberglass clean prior to the shiny stuff. The Poli Glow has cheaper replacements but I have not found another cleaner...

Oh - the more coats the better the shine. I have 5 coats on mine.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
What cleaner did you use to prep your M/H before you put on Zep?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #4

Zep

I just washed the RV with regular car shampoo. Didn't bother with slight imperfections. As I mentioned I had some peeling paint so I simply wanted to clean the rig then seal the paint to prevent further peeling.
IndioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We used the same process on 1998 vacationer prep was ammonia and water to remove yellowing then wash with blue dawn and apply 3 coats of floor sealer. Shines like brand new paint job.
terry4564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #6

It really is amazing stuff...

The naysayers can say what the want and keep on compounding, waxing, and cleaninig twice a week and po-poo-ing us while we sip frosty beverages with a shine they say will peel or yellow away while matching their weekly efforts.

I can strip and re-doo 8 coats TWICE for the time it takes to compound and wax once. The difference is I'm essentially done for a year or two and their "guy" will be back in 3 months for a touch-up.

Again amazing stuff!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #7

just picked up my gallon of wet look zep today. I'm never polishing another motorhome in this lifetime. Wipe on and leave it will be my montra from now on. Just polished mine 4 months ago and it could use it again already. No more I say, NO MORE
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
You apply it and leave it on? Wow, if true, that would beat waxing hands down. Would it work on cars too?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

You better pick up a lifetime supply of any Zep products.

The factory in the north Atlanta area burned to the ground a couple of weeks ago. Their future is uncertain.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Would it work on cars too?
It may apply alright but it probably would not adhere as well as it would to the exterior of an RV. You need a little texture to the surface for it to adhere. If your to lazy to wax your car (not you in particular) use Pledge furniture polish in a spray can. We used to to it all the time when going to car shows for a quick touch up. Beads water like crazy also. Showed to me by a old savy hot rodder.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #11

We just did this to our 1999 Fleetwood Flair 2 weeks ago. We washed cleaned the roof of the motorhome (it needed it). Then we washed the motorhome, then we used Bar Keepers Friend with a 3M white scrubbie and took off all the oxidization. Then we washed it with TSP and a sponge and let it dry and had lunch. Then we put on 4 coats of ZEP wet look floor polish. This were the directions I found online which we followed. The first coats looks sketchy. The 2nd one better. By the fourth coat you could not tell the part you were putting on or what was already done cause it was so shiny.

We bought a spray bottle and a microfiber cloth sprayed the cloth with the ZEP and then just wiped it on the motorhome. You don't want to get it thick or it will drip and leave a drip mark when dried. All you want to do is wet the sides of the motorhome. My husband did the top half of the motorhome and I did the bottom. By the time we circled around the beginning area was dry. We would take a short 5-10 minute break and then put on the next coat. I swear by this - our motorhome has never looked this good. Especially the front above the windows! Easy to clean off bugs, now etc.

Reapply once a year and you are good to go!
firstx1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - did this on our 98 Winne Chieftain. The hardest part is making SURE it's clean first. If you leave any old wax on the surface - the Zep finish will peel off quickly. For older RVs that don't have painted surfaces - this is great stuff.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
What are the long term affects though? I read that some people that have done it a few years ago and praised it then are having issues with peeling and trying to strip it off now. I plan on keeping my m/h for many years.
RodK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #14

It strips easily with ammonia and water.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal