RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #57

Just finished doing my 2004 Hurricane. Looks good after 3 coats. The decals even came back.
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #58

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	167523Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	167524
Looks fantastic!
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #59

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Would just like to clear up one thing before trying this process. Lots of conversation about the decals. It seems most go ahead with the whole process right over the decals and its reported that they usually look great after.
My bay doors are painted along with some other areas of the coach from the factory. Are these painted area's cleaned using the same process as the white fiberglass.
In other words BKF, TSP and finishing with the ZEP.
A lot of reading but still unclear if this pertains to the painted area's
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbus View Post
Would just like to clear up one thing before trying this process. Lots of conversation about the decals. It seems most go ahead with the whole process right over the decals and its reported that they usually look great after.
My bay doors are painted along with some other areas of the coach from the factory. Are these painted area's cleaned using the same process as the white fiberglass.
All of our lower bay doors are painted as well as areas around the front end and front sides. We used the exact same procedures to clean those areas and the same 5 coats of Zep. Still holding up great after more than two years. One of the bay doors that was slightly faded looks almost the same as the rest after treatment. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
We no longer have our '93 Bounder but it was in normal condition for it's age. Did 3 coats of Zep and SHAAAZAM !!!! It looked brand new when we were done with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0009.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	182289  

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbus View Post
Aggressive use of BKF, may harm the clear coat on the painted surface; as would the use of any cut polishing compound; and accelerate fading of the base coat .
I used regular automotive products on my painted surfaces.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Zep'n It .... What Do You Think?

First, thanks for all the information! And yes, I have heard the message, prep is the key to a successful shine.

A few questions:

Do you use Zep on the front cap? My worst oxidation is actually on the vertical plastic molding strip that covers the seam between the front cap and the gelcoat wall. This is yellowed badly, will Zep help that or is there another solution? The rest of the gelcoat is just starting to oxidize after 2 summers in the Texas heat outside (previous owner).

The plan to work on it next week. The plan is:

1. Wash the rig again (just washed it this week)
2. Apply Meguiar's M4916 Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover using my drill with wool buffing pads doing small areas and wiping it off quickly.
3. Apply ZEP with sponge mop in small areas wiping it with wet cloth t-shirts (old ones) to prevent runs or streaks
4. Apply 4-6 coats

Small areas = 4' x 4' ... the length of my reach

Have any of you buffed with wool after Zep dries? Is that of any benefit?

Any comments or inputs on better ways are appreciated!!!!!

I keep the rig in covered storage (not inside) so I think that it should keep for a couple years with some maintenance.

Thanks to all who give me information and confidence to do it myself! This forum is the best!
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #64

Does it last? And does the rain affect the wax or does it melt after drying? I have a cap over windshield that keeps oxidized lines running down my windshield would like to seal it but am curious if the wax would also run and maybe be worse.
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3855wales View Post
Does it last? And does the rain affect the wax or does it melt after drying? I have a cap over windshield that keeps oxidized lines running down my windshield would like to seal it but am curious if the wax would also run and maybe be worse.
Again, if prepared properly, it will seal the gelcoat and stop the problem you have with oxidation. The coating can not "melt". The is NOT a wax. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once ZEP is dry you cannot buff it. It's way to hard a surface for that. On the other hand mine doesn't need buffing, it shines very nicely with five coats of ZEP. I first used it five years ago and now once a year I just put on a fresh coat. Hasn't hurt my decals at all.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor