Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

Zep floor shine on my RV ?

I applied this product to my RV . Shined it up nice.
https://youtu.be/3ykGMeUhZcs
Bounder Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #2

looking good!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Seriously ? Would you use Zep on your car ? Read all the stories on removing Zep Floor wax from your Rv after it cracks and peels off .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Seriously ? Would you use Zep on your car ? Read all the stories on removing Zep Floor wax from your Rv after it cracks and peels off .
Well from you what you can see on the video it was pretty bad before and if it ever caused the problem I'll just strip it off and reapply it or something
Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdznutz View Post
Well from you what you can see on the video it was pretty bad before and if it ever caused the problem I'll just strip it off and reapply it or something
Very creative. Please give us a report in a few months. And should the need arise to strip it off, how do you plan to do that?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Very creative. Please give us a report in a few months. And should the need arise to strip it off, how do you plan to do that?
Zep makes their own stripper. I've seen videos on YouTube a year later where it still looks amazing so I figure if I reapply every year I should be okay
Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:

I believe the OP was talking about ZEP Floor Shine.......

Not floor WAX. two different creatures, although it seems more than just a few people don't bother to read posts very well and apply floor WAX not floor SHINE and then have a big problem stripping it back off.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdznutz View Post
I used the ZEP on prior RV and it lasted for 4-5 years until I traded the RV. An annual cleaning and recoat was all that was needed. Only problem was the top of front cap peeled after 1st year due to poor prep. (hard to get to) but after a through prep it was not a problem. yes you can strip an area and reapply..

I would not recommend on a new RV, and the prep is the key to longevity. ZEP HIGH TRAFFIC FLOOR POLISH
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Seriously ? Would you use Zep on your car ?
Well... I suppose if my car looked as rough as my RV... yes, yes I would.

I've actually done this to our RV before. The improvement to old faded and oxidized paint is kind of amazing actually. I'd never put it on a nice paint job though... just my $.02.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If my coach was painted like a car then maybe not but since it isn't and Zep works they why should I? I guess since the exterior is more like a boat than a car then maybe I should be talking to the Coast Guard regarding registration rather than the DMV?

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #11

I m going to use zep on my all fiber glass 1992 Itasca . It don't look like it's that thick guys are talking like 5 coats . I think you need to do a YouTube search lot of people use it . If it's not oxidized I would just use RV 3m polish .

Itasca66
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
I m going to use zep on my all fiber glass 1992 Itasca . It don't look like it's that thick guys are talking like 5 coats . I think you need to do a YouTube search lot of people use it . If it's not oxidized I would just use RV 3m polish .

Itasca66
Because the Zep is designed as a floor wax , It FLOWS very easily , any attempt to apply a thick coat will result in runs; just ask my DW , who worked on a section that had to be stripped ; ammonia takes it right off ; the multiple coats are very thin , and applying very thin coats that dry very quickly leaves visible spots with less than good coverage.
I applied 7 coats , Zep sprayed on a micro fiber cloth and about a 5" by 3' swipe was all the coverage possible without runs, doing different angles on every coat filled in the thin spots.
I'll see how it looks after this years clean up to see if a re-coating required.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:27 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post

Itasca66
Thin coats just as Skip426 stated. You want to avoid drips, runs and foam. On my 30' coach I probably only use around a cup and a half maybe two to do the entire coach. The first time use the first couple of applications will look pretty rough just keep applying. By the fourth or fifth it will pop.

Each spring I do a wash with a strong detergent and Bar Keepers Friend on heavy road grime. Pretty much strips off the Zep. A couple of light applications with a microfiber towel is all that is needed to regain the shine. Lasts a year with the coach in the driveway and whatever the weather maybe in southeastern Virginia or wherever our travels take us. If the coach needs a midsummer wash a mild detergent won't strip Zep but if necessary easy enough to reapply.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #14

Looks Good!

I'd be interested in trying this on my '92 Pace Arrow. It needs some cosmetic TLC on the outside.

Can you tell me a little more about the prep work involved? I imagine a thorough washing with some heavy detergent, but what else? Can it be applied to the glass and other exterior finishes? Is there anything to absolutely avoid?

I'm headed to the local home center right now. I want to try this!
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor