Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #15

Again thanks so much for the inputs...... I will have to sit down and evaluate what I am reading..... Merry Christmas to one and all

LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, here's my horror story about ZEP. I applied it about five years ago after reading about how good it made older coaches look. It did. I reapplied it every year building up several coats. Looking good.

Then this Spring I notice it's peeling in spots. I applied more ZEP but it still didn't look right, so I purchased the ZEP remover. It turned the white areas orange! I scrubbed but could not get the orange out of the clear coat. Not sure why that happened.

So then I applied more remover trying to get the orange out and it ate into the clear coat. Now I have streaks in the finish.

I had a body and paint man friend of ours look at it today, and he wants to try to buff it down hoping that it didn't go completely through the clear coat. We're going to try that.

I have no idea why this happened and if anyone does perhaps you could enlighten us all.

Just so you all know. I am embarrassed.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I feel your pain, I too used Zep to shine up our old coach and it did a good job, looked amazing. After a couple of years though there were some patches where the Zep peeled and looked like crap. Ended up sanding down these areas and applied more Zep as I was beyond the point of no return. But I did find a product called Polyglow, it was basically the same as Zep but formulated with UV protection in it so it would not break down and turn yellow like Zep. I did have to repaint some spots because of the paint peeling, as our coach was gelcoat finish with painted on stripes, then gave it a good coating of Polyglow and sold the coach. Looked great though! ����
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:24 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
I use zep on my gelcoat area only.

I did get some streaks on the clear coated paint when using Zep remover.

Sanding lightly with 2000 grit, wiping with acetone, buffing with McGuires Polish, etc did not mitigate the streaks.

Then, I put some Formula 303 on the area and it cleared up and regained the painted shine.

I have no clue why it did so, but is still good 3 months later. Much simpler than repainting.

Perhaps try it on a test spot?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #19

I also used the Zep only on my gelcoat because if I can ever make the time I'd like to repaint my lower painted areas and figure any wax or sealer on the paint would jus tmake it harder to deal with getting it sanded down.
Almost two years now and mine looks OK. Slight mishap with some "black streak remover" and I had to recoat where that was but that's about it.
I'm thinking next year I will strip and recoat it. That's how they use this stuff on floors, they don't just keep layering it on.

What's "formula 303"? Googled it and all I got is what appears to be some kind of vitamin supplement.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For any owners reading this thread and considering using Zep never, ever, EVER, EVER use Zep on paint or clear coat. Did I emphasize not to use Zep on paint enough? For those owners that made the mistake my condolences as getting Zep off is about the same as removing all traces of silicone caulk, even when using Zep Stripper. If your coach is painted then work it in the same manor you would as your toad or daily driver concerning attempts to restore the finish. Zep is one short cut would don't want to take with a painted coach.

I do use Zep on my entry level gel coat model and it has performed well over the past eight years with no discoloring or other changes with time. I do spend a weekend scrubbing off most of the layers off each spring and reapply several new coast to restore which will last the season with an occasional cleaning with mild soap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20271.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	341416  
Old 08-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
What's "formula 303"? Googled it and all I got is what appears to be some kind of vitamin supplement.
I also want to know.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
303 Aerospace Protectant

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ce-protectant/

A bit like searching for Blackstone Labs for oil testing. Leave off a key word in the search parameters and you end up in the outer limits.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #24

Like others I used Zep for a few years on my gasser. It really turned yellow after awhile.

I then went to Poly Glo. While it's better (and more expensive) it isn't perfect. It doesn't seem to like to stick to the fiberglass on the front cap. Never figured out why.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:45 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I had a body and paint man friend of ours look at it today, and he wants to try to buff it down hoping that it didn't go completely through the clear coat. We're going to try that.
The coach is in the body shop and they're trying to buff it down to a point where the steaking in the clear coat is gone. Not going well. I still have no coherent reason why the Zep remover turned it orange. Beware!