Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #1

1982 Onan Genset RV 3.0 DC Brushes? Location?

I am working on a 1983 Dodge Xplorer with a Onan Genset RV 3.0 Generator It sometimes cranks and then it won't. I checked power thru starter solenoid and hit switch and it clicks and shows power out other side. I have been told it may be the brushes and I am assuming it would be the dc brushes. Manual says it has 4 ac and 2 dc. I think i found the 4 ac brushes but have been unable to figure out where the 2 dc brushes are. If anyone knows I sure would appreciate some help. I attached a pic which I think shows the location of the ac brushes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onan.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	372767  
imac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 09:54 PM   #2

I am going to take a stab at this one.. I have no idea of what I am talking about.. so ride along with me.. so you can't get the starter to turn the eng to gen over.. it has a starter on it.. inside the starter unit.. a long time ago.. the starter had brushes.. and they still do.. but they were made to be replaced.. the starter brushes.. there are 2.. you will see 2 large.. I mean large Phillips head.. the brushes are under there.. Now don't try to use a standard # 2 Phillips head.. you must use an impact driver .. not impact wrench.. the old fashioned one I have in bottom of tool box.. you use the correct head and hit it with a hammer..
So.. if I understand you.. the problem is with the starter.. and you feel that the starter needs new brushes.. ok.. but because these starters are nearly bullet proof. I would check a few things 1st.. how many hours on gen ? Next use another vehicle to jump battery to gen.. leave vehicle jumping running.. and try that.. next.. use set of jumper cables to rule out bad ground.. so to do that.. put any end on beefy part of gen eng.. and the other end on beefy part of frame.. then try..
Next.. if certain you feel it's the starter.. take to a/p store and see if they can test.. or use your jumper cables and test it yourself.. put them on battery and put positive on starter lug.. and just touch starter with negative.. use all safety precautions.. it will jump out of your hands.. so stand on it..
Now.. all that.. these old starter were made to be rebuilt.. they are old and reliable.. made in USA. So most big electric stores can do it for you or know someone who can..
So I am believing.. maybe wrong.. that you have an independent starter motor.. and we are not talking about the inside the armature section of the gen.. am I close? Did I just miss it ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 08-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #3

More on the onan 3.0

Thanks for the reply. This generator does not have a starter. I was told it uses the DC brushes and generator acts as a motor to start and then goes to a generator using the ac brushes. No easy way to remove generator, So I Cut the exhaust pipe and unbolted generator mounts then I could rotate the generator to see the end where the AC brushes were. Removed all the brushes and found one of the AC brushes was stuck. Plan to clean everything up. Hopefully that will fix problem, I attached a few photos. One of my 83 Dodge Xplorer, and end of generator the large hole is where DC brushes go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3254.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	372836   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3423.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	372837  

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3425.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	372838  
imac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:39 PM   #4

Great.. you got an old beauty.. you are truly blessed.. I just love it.. it brings back so many memories.. thank you for pictures
Good luck and keep us posted

Tags
cat, location, onan